Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kumho Ecsta V700: Shaved or Full Tread?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Eddie914
I'm interested in running Kumho Ecsta V700 DOT-R tires on my 914-6 Track/Street car. The V700s are molded with 6/32th of an inch tread.

Should the tires be shaved?

The car is used mostly for DE events with sessions lasting about 20 minutes. The 914-6 is lightened to about 2,000lbs with a 3.2 with Webers. I use 225/50/16 and 245/45/16 tires on 8" and 9" wheels.

I have successfully used Kumho Victoracers and Yokohama a032r tires at full tread, but the Tire Rack states the following:

"Important Notice: Kumho Ecsta V700 tires must be shaved to 3/32" - 4/32" tread depth for any autocross or track use in the dry.

Kumho advises that the Ecsta V700 DOT-legal competition radial must be shaved prior to use in dry conditions. If this tire is not shaved, excessive wear may occur causing the tire to wear to the cords prematurely in a localized area.

Tire heat cycling will not prevent the excessive localized wear of full tread depth tires but will continue to enhance tire consistency and wear on shaved tires."

Does anyone have experience running Kumho Ecsta V700 tires at full tread?

TIA

Eddie
Joe Ricard
Yep, they are not lying. However my experience with these tires on my 1900 pound 914 with 1.7L power. I could not get them hot enough to start chunking.

Bigger cars with more power it was inevitable to chunk pieces of tread off.
Why not just get take off slicks from John Berget. (262) 740-0180 Tell him I sent you. I deal with him every time I need race rubber.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.