Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick, someone buy this...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Formula Vee on ebay

I kinda want one.
I could just buy it.

crap.

Someone buy it and save me from myself. Last thing I need right now is a damn race car.

Zach
alpha434
The zero-roll suspension concept is interesting. I've always wanted to build a formula vee. But SCCA requires that you have the chassis welded by a certain level certified welder. And I prefer to do all my own work. . . .

Maybe later.
Chuck
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 29 2007, 08:11 PM) *

Formula Vee on ebay

Last thing I need right now is a damn race car.

Zach

Since when does what we need have anything to do with what any of us actually have? beer.gif
firstknight13
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 29 2007, 08:11 PM) *

Formula Vee on ebay

I kinda want one.
I could just buy it.

crap.

Someone buy it and save me from myself. Last thing I need right now is a damn race car.

Zach

biggrin.gif zach it's better than kids so go for it ...YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT !!!!! driving.gif
alpha434
I was going to buy two that were for sale locally and campaign them this last season with my (ex now) girlfriend. She wanted nothing to do with it. Go karts scared her.

Sucks. I should've gotten them anyway.
1bad914
That is 40 minutes from my house, I want it...how can I sneak it home????
Cap'n Krusty

"(Note, this race car experienced an oil pump failure last time out (common for VW air-cooled engines)."

Say what? It may just be that my VW aircooled experience is only since 1960, but I don't recall sudden oil pump failure as being high on the list of common failures. Or maybe even on the list. Nice rig, though. Not SCCA legal, I think. The Cap'n
davep
So Cap'n, are you suggesting that the level of preparation on this car might be left wanting a little? Correct, as always.
URY914
The way it is set up in those pics it isn't SCCA legal for a FV. That wing would have to go. But it is fun AX car. I remember RacerChris saying once that FV has a higher crash rate than any other class. Those tall tires seem to touch a lot.
tdgray
I guess I don't get it... what the hell good are those skinny tall tires for huh.gif

Wouldn't you want something a little more substantial to hold the course confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
The way it is set up in those pics it isn't SCCA legal for a FV. That wing would have to go. But it is fun AX car. I remember RacerChris saying once that FV has a higher crash rate than any other class. Those tall tires seem to touch a lot.

Yeah, there is some work that would need to be done before it could be raced. I have also heard that they tend to crash a lot. probably becuase they are entry level race cars, so the drivers don't have much practice. I know that is part of the reason I am interested.

QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 30 2007, 03:51 PM) *

I guess I don't get it... what the hell good are those skinny tall tires for huh.gif

Wouldn't you want something a little more substantial to hold the course confused24.gif

Class rules. It is an OLD formula class, based around the VW beetle. The idea being a cheap racer the "average guy" could afford. The class rules are very strict. The AX rules have a lot more lattitude.

I need to get one project finished before I start a second. :-)
I still want to restore an old truck too. You know, so I can haul a historic racer about. smile.gif

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
If you're gonna haul a FV, a fully restored single cab splittie is the ONLY way to go. Period correct VW and all.

The Cap'n
jhadler
FVee is, for all intents and purposes, a vintage class that runs within the SCCA.

Absolutely ancient cars by modern standards, but they're cheap to get into, and cheap to campaign (tires are cheap and last a long time).

I think the only class that crashes more in SCCA road racing is Spec Miata. Any class that has that kind of parity, will naturally have REALLY close racing. And when you're close, you're gonna touch. And I think the only reason why FV has a lower crash rate is that there is less car to protect the driver, and as such, they tend to drive just a TAD more cautiously.

Still, they can be really fun autox cars. driving.gif

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.