Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift linkage dust boot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
familienauto
Hi everyone,

So, I just noticed that the rear dust boot for the shift linkage on the '73 side shift was cracked and hanging down towards the road. I have it temporarily bandaged up, but it needs to be replaced.

So, for a newbie like me who has never taken a shift linkage apart...what is the best way to get this thing off and get a new one on? I have the parts diagram in the Haynes manual in front of me but there has to be an easier way to do this than disassembling the whole shift linkage.

Let me know if there's anything I need to be careful not to break before I go wrenching away at this...

Thanks,
Zach
orthobiz
The big oval cover or the accordion boot in front of it?

My big cover towards the rear of the car is fine but my boot is no longer attached toward the front of the car. It has a nylon tie that's unbroken and the boot is fine (not torn). However, I've been told that they shrink over the years and they are NLA from Porsche or anyone. So my boot has slipped off the thicker black part of the the linkage and exposes some bright metal on the more narrow part of the shift linkage.

Apparently reattaching it will only last until you shift through the gears!

So, I'll be interested in hearing answers to this question as well!

Paul
pete914
this is a very easy procedure to do. you have either one or two "cone screws" on the shift linkage to the transmission (i ahve a '74 that uses just one). this is what mine looked like (vertical bolt is what i'm talking about...however, PO had the incorrect "bolt" in there, yours should be a flush screw that takes an allen wrench)
IPB Image

anyway, with an allen wrench remove that screw. then head to the firewall up front where the shift linkage enters. there you'll find another cone screw. loosen that one. now move back to the transmission and you are going to work the shift rod out of the shift linkage by pushing it toward the front of the car (helps to be in neutral). i tapped it with the hammer. now pull the shift rod back towards the rear of the car to release it from the connection point at the front of the car. this will allow you to have room to slide on the boot. it's also a good time to inspect/grease your bushings...
if this sounds confusing, it's not when you are under the car. it will all makes sense once you get going aktion035.gif
good luck
pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.