Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- "Dog the Ford 390 4 barrel"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nomore9one4
I took the Bird out lastnight (not that Bird chair.gif ) The '63 T-bird. It has a 390 with the 4 barrel. I had the same motor/carb in my '66 T-bird and it ran like a "raped ape". The '63 runs like a "beaten dog" It was supposed to have been tuned up at the last inspection a few years ago including a rebuilt carb,but it just sits and not really have been "RUN". Anyhow,what are some things I can check. It feels like it is only running on a few cylinders. Any Real mechanics(not me)that can give me some advice?? I want to drive this head turner know that I have some time in my schedule. smile.gif
andys
Bob,

It seems to me that you will need to go through "the basics" when you say it's running on 4. Easy stuff first, like the fuel and fuel filter especially if it's been sitting a while......fuel could have gone bad unless you used a product like Stabil. Drain the fuel from the tank and fuel lines if it's bad (the gas will have a distinct odor). The fuel remaining in the carb may flush by running the motor for a few minutes. Check the plugs, timing, points, condensor, rotor, cap, and wires. Adjust or replace as required. Also check the vacuum advance diaphram in case it has a hole in it (it will run poorly if that's the case, but not usually a "running on 4" symptom). I have all the tune up specs, but would need to dig them up. It's possible you have a stuck lifter or two, again a possibility from it sitting around. There are several oil treatment products that may cure this problem.

Good luck,.

Andys
nomore9one4
Thanks Andy. I will go over it this weekend. I guess the plugs should tell me more than I know now. I have a manual with the specs and I guess I better dig it out. Gonna be a dirty weekend. Thanks for your input thumb3d.gif
markb
Don't forget that the 63 & 66 were completely different designs. The 63 was a bulkier, heavier car. In High school I had a 65, and one of my best friends had a 62. I loved mine & hated hers.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 31 2007, 10:21 AM) *

Don't forget that the 63 & 66 were completely different designs. The 63 was a bulkier, heavier car. In High school I had a 65, and one of my best friends had a 62. I loved mine & hated hers.

They sure are bulkier. I actually learned to drive with my '66. The '63 is a bit more difficult to drive because of the size. Especially after driving the 914. blink.gif
So.Cal.914
I had a 62, it too was a dog, but it was a smooth riding, and classy.
shelby/914
A friend of mine has a '64 ragtop stored in my barn, which he's thinking about selling. Its actually a very nice car with kelsey hays wires. Silver blue/ white top. If anyone was interested PM me and I'll pass your phone # or email along to him. Sorry for the hijact but there seemed to be a few T bird guys chiming in.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Aug 31 2007, 12:58 PM) *

A friend of mine has a '64 ragtop stored in my barn, which he's thinking about selling. Its actually a very nice car with kelsey hays wires. Silver blue/ white top. If anyone was interested PM me and I'll pass your phone # or email along to him. Sorry for the hijact but there seemed to be a few T bird guys chiming in.

There are no high jacks here,everything is welcome! smile.gif If the car was not a ragtop I would be interested. I just know a ragtop would be wayyy out of my budget. drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.