Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Hey BMW "airhead" guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
This was given to me by a client! Yep, FREEBIE aktion035.gif ! All there but the handlebars and saddle (plus a few minor missing parts). He put it in storage 10 years ago with the intent to restore it, never did, never will and he knew I would. So, I guess that now makes me an "airhead teener" av-943.gif ?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
...DR. EVIL...CALLING DR. EVIL...
Brian Mifsud
Bulletproof engine... my buddy bought one from some convicts mother who wanted his belongings gone. It sat outside in northern california (lots of rain) for at least 14 years. Bike was leaning against a fence, so the "downhill" cylinder accumulated water, rusted valves, etc.

Just for kicks, we hooked up a new battery and cranked it over.. even with gummy carbs, it fired right up!

My buddy tore it down and rebuilt it completely anyhow, but we were pretty stunned... nice bike!
Luke
Great score !...
Get her together and if I finish my Triumph .. we can take a buzz up Bouquet .... Ha
-Dave
nomore9one4
That will make one nice bike. Plus the free factor is always so attractive. smile.gif
bottomend
I'm sooo jealous! Sewing machines rule!!!!
HAM Inc
Those are great little engines. I have a customer near Athens that specializes in early BMW bike resto's. I've done a bunch of heads for him over the years. His company is called Boxerworks. If you need any parts and can't find them in your area look him up on the web (don't know his URL) or drop me a line and I'll get you his #.
scotty b
Well that's at least 3 of us now. Maybe we need a spinoff site. You , me, the Doc, and Evan (mogrel gs). I actually bought my R65 (yeah I had to pay for mine dry.gif ) from Evan a couple months back. FYI Don't let that headlight and speedo get out of sight. They're not cheap. Ask me how I know owned.gif
euro911
That's pretty cool Steve. Get it back together ... biggrin.gif

Mine aren't of German manufacture, mostly US (with a few Chinese & Korean parts) dry.gif

But the rider is a half-bred German laugh.gif

'59 Caddy tail lights ... (way before that 'Mikey' guy from OCC) wink.gif
Dr Evil
Just got mine together today and took the lady for a spin on it at sun set in the country side......I am feeling the peace now smoke.gif

I got to soot some pics of the latest mods biggrin.gif

I am jealous. I would love a /2, Evan drives one.
KaptKaos
i am so jealous!! If you get discouraged, give me a call. I'd be happy to take it off your hands. laugh.gif

Nice score!
Dr Evil
BS! I got dibs! I will pay you 10x what you paid for it biggrin.gif
ahdoman
Thanks for all the reply's guys. For you LA type people; we're gonna do a BBQ at the casa once it cools down a little (112 today!). My intent is to put it back together as is, ride it a little to see what it needs, then take it back apart to restore it. If the timing is right it will be together for the BBQ. If you got the liscense to ride, I'll share. The PO powdercoated the frame and a couple of odds and ends so I'm halfway there. I'm going to try and polish the parts and get the rust to a minimum so it will have that vintage look. The only major problem now is a stuck slider in one of the Bing carbs. Hopefully I can get it to break loose without damaging anything. It does need a saddle seat and handlebars so if anybody has a line on that let me know.
apexeric
My other airhead!Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Sep 1 2007, 03:38 AM) *

Thanks for all the reply's guys. For you LA type people; we're gonna do a BBQ at the casa once it cools down a little (112 today!). My intent is to put it back together as is, ride it a little to see what it needs, then take it back apart to restore it. If the timing is right it will be together for the BBQ. If you got the liscense to ride, I'll share. The PO powdercoated the frame and a couple of odds and ends so I'm halfway there. I'm going to try and polish the parts and get the rust to a minimum so it will have that vintage look. The only major problem now is a stuck slider in one of the Bing carbs. Hopefully I can get it to break loose without damaging anything. It does need a saddle seat and handlebars so if anybody has a line on that let me know.

www.IBMWR.org/market/ has what you need maybe biggrin.gif
Coy
Hey I'm on the list of Airhead teeners too... and I think Eric Shea was looking at buying an R65 just a little while back, wasn't he?

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Yup, I helped Eric get one with some advice and such. He is hooked biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 2 2007, 02:24 PM) *

Yup, I helped Eric get one with some advice and such. He is hooked biggrin.gif

So he got a girls bike too huh dry.gif
Dr Evil
No, his is vintage thumb3d.gif tongue.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 2 2007, 07:03 PM) *

No, his is vintage thumb3d.gif tongue.gif

Yer such a putz
Dr Evil
mozeltov boobala, shalom wink.gif thumb3d.gif
Eric_Shea
I stumbled on the bomb...

Bone stock 1972 R75/5 "Toaster" Metallic Gold (#029) commonly called "Curry" here in the States. With the Krauser bags. History from Day 1, every gas stop, every repair.

That looks like an older one... just going off the speedo. Should be a blast to restore.
Coy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 3 2007, 04:35 PM) *

I stumbled on the bomb...

Bone stock 1972 R75/5 "Toaster" Metallic Gold (#029) commonly called "Curry" here in the States. With the Krauser bags. History from Day 1, every gas stop, every repair.

That looks like an older one... just going off the speedo. Should be a blast to restore.

I believe this post requires some sort of pictures! thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.