Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Satellite views of 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooltimes
view from a satellite.
Air_Cooled_Nut
What's the URL for that mapping tool? I only use Google Maps (love it!).
cooltimes
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Aug 31 2007, 01:53 PM) *

What's the URL for that mapping tool? I only use Google Maps (love it!).

I forgot.
rmital
...couldn't get a good or clear image...I used Google.
At the upper center portion of the image is a graveyard of teeners. Stored at a parking lot in Northern NJ. They are unfortunetly rotting away. About 5 years ago they would have been a great find....barely parts cars at this point.
mskala
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Aug 31 2007, 02:46 PM) *

This is a view from a satellite. The view is the house and a 914 I owned over a year ago. Anyone else got a view of their 914 like that.

This pic cannot be a satellite pic. Look at the angle at which it's taken. Something as high as a satellite will be looking essentially straight down and you will not see the sides of a house. Probably a helicopter pilot who likes old cars rolleyes.gif
purple
my dad was involved in satellite stuff back in the cold war days, i think this thing called landsat took pics with lots of angle like that, mskala. I'll ask him about it tonight and come back.
kfieler
Here is a Google photo of my 1973 914 1.7 taken at the residence of the guy I purchased it from...

Click to view attachment

kfieler
Here's a Google photo of my 1974 914. It has been sitting exposed in the desert for 10+ years. Just waiting for the current owner to find the keys and the title so I can trailer it home!

Click to view attachment
Lavanaut
Not sure if everyone's familiar with Google Street View (not to be confused with Google Maps or Google Earth), but it's pretty freakin crazy. I bet there are all sorts of 914s captured at street view level. It's not available in all cities (including mine, sadly). But if you live in a major metropolitan area, there's a fair chance.

Map locations with a camera icon here have Street View available. Click on the camera icon, then click on a blue-shaded area on the detail map that's displayed to see the street view. I found my friend's car sitting in front of his house. Crazy stuff.

If anyone finds their 914 on there, post a link here! chowtime.gif

Friday, OH YEAH!! beerchug.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Holy crap LavaNut! I just used that to "walk" down a street in San Fran., turn a corner, and zoom in on a car's fully-legible license plate!!!

Scary and cool at the same time. I'm surprised Portland, OR, isn't on there since they're in our backyard, so to speak (Google, that is).
kfieler
I stopped at this graveyard last weekend while on a "recon trip" around California's Mojave Desert (Google photo). The fenced area is full of old british and european cars. In addition to probably a dozen bugs and busses, I saw a couple of old TR-6's, an old 912 and an early 914! Sorry I can't be more specific on the location... confused24.gif Yes, I am in the process of trying to contact the property owner. shades.gif

Click to view attachment
cooltimes
QUOTE(mskala @ Aug 31 2007, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(cooltimes @ Aug 31 2007, 02:46 PM) *

This is a view from a satellite. The view is the house and a 914 I owned over a year ago. Anyone else got a view of their 914 like that.

This pic cannot be a satellite pic. Look at the angle at which it's taken. Something as high as a satellite will be looking essentially straight down and you will not see the sides of a house. Probably a helicopter pilot who likes old cars rolleyes.gif

The skyline photo in this link below is a mock up of satellite plans later in that year, 2005.
http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050523-125208
The satellite photos of my 914 photo came from a satellite source in 2007.
rich POV for my non artistic pockets but I was able to view them anyhow.
davep
I can't get anywhere near that close in my area. I think mine was shot using an old Brownie from the moon.
cooltimes
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 31 2007, 04:38 PM) *

I can't get anywhere near that close in my area. I think mine was shot using an old Brownie from the moon.

That's funny.
ClayPerrine
Here is Betty's 914 sitting in front of our house.

Click to view attachment

The house to the left of ours is owned by Bob McKinney, who has a blue 75 2.0L 914 that he bought new.

piratenanner.gif
cooltimes

I did a view of Automobile Atlanta but had to scroll a lot to locate. Not as large as I had remembered.
jasons
I have one of mine under the cover (Red Arrow). And, my old 944S2 (Blue Arrow).

computers4kids
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Aug 31 2007, 11:46 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Look close and you will even see me standing by the other vehicle in the picture.

A real 916 in New Jersey... av-943.gif
p914
With Google earth you can tilt the angle of your pictures to get a different view.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.