Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA, NASA, PCA, POC... Which one for Stock?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
D1A3
I've got a stock 914, 2.0L. I'd like to get involved with some AX or other track oriented driving. I have no interest in chopping up the car, installing fancy racing equipment or anything like that. I run D-Jet FI, have slightly wider 205 series tires and a Bursch Exhaust. No real other changes from factory.

I'm a PCA member and have never really done much with it. I knwo folks in both SCCA and NASA that claims their org is better. I've read on this forum a lot of fanfare about POC.

Given my intent to keep a car stock, street legal and not have to make it a "race car" but still want some weekend thrills, what is the best group to join? What class is the stock 914 2.0L most competetive in? confused24.gif

Any advice or feedback is appreciated!!!
blitZ
In SCCA, you will be in CS with a bunch of Miaters. In PCA, would put you in P02, I believe. I've been looking at the AX results for our local Peachstate PCA, no other 914/4s seem to show up, so you would be in a class by your self.

I joined the PCA this year, intending to do some AXs and have not yet. I typically do the SCCA events, they are a good group with plenty of instructions for new drivers.
race914
I'd recommend attending the different events as a spectator. See how they are run, talk to the participants, etc.
SandyI
First off, the best organization for you is the one with the best in-car instruction.

In So Cal, the POC is hard to beat. A Short Track event means a day of (5) twenty minute run sessions with an in-car instructor at Streets of Willow.

Plus, you'd be classified as C-Stock which usually means only 914's.
914forme
Really classing does not matter for a few years until your compitive in your car. So find hte club you fit with best, allows you to play your game, and challenges you to be better.

I currently run NASA, SCCA, PCA, and with Corvette of Troy, I have not busted the Miata club yet, but will now that I am beatig on the top (miata) dogs times. Point being I run NASA beacuse that is where hte car fit the way it was setup. I am now thinking my overal goals SCCA XP is a better class to run my 914 in for now. It is just the rules, nothing else.

I play with NASA rules, but really it is the organization, we just put on a fun event, lots of driving, cheap entry few, and challenging courses and drivers. And that is why I run with them, Corvette of Troy puts on fun events. SCCA here is not as fun, but I still go for seat time. Lot they run is smaller do to saftey concerns, which yes I have with the lots we run in MVSCC but we have not had incident yet with that, and hope we all keep our heads screwed on tight and do not have an incident in the future.

It is a personnel fit thing, see what you like and go from there.
Chris Pincetich
In my zone PCA averages 6-12 runs per AX, and SCCA 3-5, so I attend PCA. If you plan to stay stock, go to an AX or three to see how the car feels and weed out the parts that might break in that slower and safer setting. If you plan to jump on the big track, additional oil management should be done to protect your weak engine internals (2.0 bearings) around those long sweeper turns.

My advice is just do it! Go, drive, and go to the next one. Maybe some one local will chime in with better info. Just go to the closest AX race and get started beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
In the end, the opinions of others will be just clues... You will see what fits best when you go out to the events. In the Midwest, I was an SCCA member and it was great. Out in California, I have not felt the same. I have felt like a ghost at SCCA events.
As the good Dr. Chris said, PCA is the homey feeling one here for me but you might find a fit at SCCA.

As for the car... A totally stock car has no trouble fitting anywhere. I attend one two day SCCA event a year. Two years running when my car was stock I beat all of the Miata pilots. I think many of the good drivers have gone Spec Miata racing instead of SOLO because the Miatas at the event were not even close to my slow time. But we all had fun!!! biggrin.gif
J P Stein
At PCA, "stock" means Stock.....right down to ride height & tire sizes... make/model (if available).

At SCCA, "stock" means slightly modifed. RTFB

At PCA, y'all have something in common....even if it's a 914 style Porsche....and things are more laid back it seems.

At SCCA, after you've been there 20-30 times and get used to hi volume AX, the same thing occurs....AX in common.biggrin.gif I think it's a rule that SCCA AXers are required to be nice. It seems to me that there are a few more egos at PCA.....they need to be thrashed unmercifuly....but not so bad that they won't come back for more punishment.....2-4 seconds is about right. biggrin.gif

You can run morning and afternoon groups at SCCAb and get your 8-12 runs....iffn' you need that many runs to get the course right......you gotta pay double your usual fee and can't do TO in the AM & your class in the PM.....the other way around works, tho as does TO all day. I seldom do it as tiars are too expensive to waste.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.