Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you check the oil level
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Markeydoo
I have a 2.0l 6 in my 914 and I was wondering what the best way to check the oil level. Do I check it cold, hot?
And yes I know I need to use the dip stick.
Thanks
Mark
dflesburg
open cap, look in.

oh wait thats for my front trunk mounted oil tank.
jimtab
I think on a six you need to do it with the engine idling, after that I think just use the dip stick.
Markeydoo
Yea I think you check when the engine is warmed up and ideling but I am not sure..
sww914
The car must be level, the engine must be warm and idling. If you check the oil cold it will read much lower than the actual level after the oil has warmed up and expanded.
After an oil change I add 8 quarts, start it up, let it idle and add oil until it just touches the bottom of the dipstick. Then I drive it around a bit (a few miles) to warm it up and then add oil to the full mark.
Most 6 cyl cars take 10-12 quarts. Usually around 10 for an oil change, more like 12 if you have a front oil cooler and you've pulled the engine out and re-installed it.
A 911 racecar that I'm working on this week with 2 front oil coolers and 2 filters took 15 quarts for a normal oil change.
Markeydoo
Thanks all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.