Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sealant on paper transmission gaskets?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
I've got the shift rod seal and the two paper gaskets associated with the nosecone on my /6. It occurred to me that maybe the gaskets are supposed to be installed with some sort of gasket compound. If so, what? The Haynes and Lash manuals I have are silent on this topic as far as I could tell. I didn't find anything searching the forums either.

Thanks,

Skip
PRS914-6
You want to be careful of not using too much sealer. If you do, the gasket will want to "ooze out" when tightened since it's so thin. With that said, I use a VERY light (mist coat) of copper spray gasket by Permatex. Basically only enought to bond it.
LvSteveH
I use high temp grease. The gasket dimension is critical, so using silicone or anything else that would change the installed thickness is a bad idea. I'm sure Paul's method of using a light coat of copper spray gasket wouldn't be thick enough to be a problem.

Fortunately it's not really an area prone to leakage. I think many people install them dry without issue.
sww914
Nope. Dry. They never leak, unless somebody carved up the mating surfaces trying to pry things apart with a screwdriver because they missed a nut somewhere.
Cap'n Krusty
The gaskets in question are NOT thickness critical. Only the gasket stack between the intermediate plate and the case are. Dry is good, or the thin Coppercote spray, or Gasgacinch, applied sparingly if you simply must use something. The Cap'n
LvSteveH
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 1 2007, 05:08 PM) *

The gaskets in question are NOT thickness critical. Only the gasket stack between the intermediate plate and the case are. Dry is good, or the thin Coppercote spray, or Gasgacinch, applied sparingly if you simply must use something. The Cap'n

Crusty One Kenobi strikes again laugh.gif He said "two paper gaskets" so I took that to mean both sides of the intermediate plate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.