Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 Owner / First Post
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Hello Everyone,
..so i just bought my first porsche.. a '76 914 w/ 911 "Chalon" bodykit (what i was told, any way ya'll can confirm the year.. suspicion that it might be a '74)

after browsing the forums for a while it seems like i may have gotten in over my head.. i dont know much about engines (VERY little actually) but im not TOO unfamiliar with workin on cars.. my past project was a '98 chevy blazer. ( i know, apples and oranges)

anyways just trying to see what are some common upgrades, some common quickfixes, common annoyances or anything else i should look out for.

i also believe i have the 2.0L engine correct?

also, i have not been able to find a list of stuff that is easily compatible with the 914 such as 911 parts and such... i think i may be needing to replace the "master cylinder" and not sure where to start..

where do ya'll (yes im from texas lol) order all your parts from and where do you take your old cars to get serviced when a professional is needed?

Thanks for you time,
look forward to being an active member here!

-Steve

IPB Image

EDIT: ill ask these questions here so i dont have to spam with like 20 new threads...

WARNING: NOOB QUESTIONS

1. What is side shift? Is there a shorter shifter stick i can get for my 76 914/4??

2. Anybody have any info on the "Chalon" bodykits??

3. Because i have that bodykit, am i able to get a wider tire?
is there a tire fitment thread somewhere with backspacing, offset and all that information?

4. Any Texan owners out there?? lol.. i know ill have lots of questions!!
Grelber
First off: welcome.png

Give us your VIN. That will tell us what year you have. Otherwise, use the search function on the top right hand part of the main page. That will give you threads on just about anything you want to know.

There are several 914 owners down in the San Antonio area (plus a bunch up here in the DFW area and Houston), and I'm sure they will jump in.

markb
welcome.png
Cap'n Krusty
The 3rd digit of the VIN is the year identifier. The stock 2 litre engine has 3 studs attaching it to each head, all other versions (including the 2.0 bus) have 4 bolts. '73 and newre 914s have the 'side shift' shift linkage, meaning the linkage enters the transmission on the side of the case, not at the tail housing. Short shift kits are available, although I can't comment on any particular product. The best was a "Target" short shifter, gone from the marketplace for 15+ years. Master cylinders are readily available, both in stock (17mm) and 911 (19mm) versions. Each has its proponents, and it's been discussed nearly to death right here on this list within the past 2 or 3 weeks. If it's indeed bad, you should plan to rebuild (or buy) a pedal cluster. Use a good DOT 4 brake fluid of your choice (ATE, Castrol LMA, whatever). The tire spacing crew will be along shortly, I'm sure ................. Oh, Welcome to the World! The Cap'n
hwgunner
welcome.png

What they said!!!!!!!!
thomasotten
Hi Steve,

I saw you posting at the Pelican Forum, and meant to say hi. I am in San Antonio, by UTSA. The few of us around and about San Antonio meant to have a 914 get together earlier this year but all the rain put a stop to that. If you ever want to chat about 914s or need help, let me know.

Thomas
stateofidleness
ya seemed like a bigger community here on 914world.

i actually go to school to UTSA.

cool, thanks for the invite thomas! awesome to see so many near me

definitely let me know if there's any local 914 get-togethers or somethin!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.