Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accessory validation & approval
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Who or what determines the acceptability of an accessory, option or "upgrade"?
If a dealer installed radio is allowed, are other dealer add-ons and accessories permited? What criteria is used? Are dealer accessory catalogs or parts books or factory publications all valid sources for authentic or appropriate additions to the 914? To wit:PORSCHE stripes, a rear fog light, mud/splash guards, a center seat cushion, a wheel substitution, a luggage rack, or door sill "kick" plates have all probably been added to a dealer's stock somewhere, sometime.

So the question is, even though those above listed items (and it isn't a complete list by any means) aren't shown on a CoA, why should a 914 be penalized if an item can be added that shows it to be a factory or dealer approved, period correct accessory? confused24.gif

Paul
davep
I would suppose it is up to the judge(s). Either they go by the seat of their pants or it may be a policy set in advance. To insist upon only factory installed items is certainly overly restrictive. Most CW's would still consider installing factory options as acceptable. Dealer installed accessories tend to get a little cloudy. There are certain aftermarket parts that distributors sold, for example, the ZPW series parts.

I agree it can get to be silly sometimes. The best by far is to have the set of rules laid out in advance so that competitors can decide if they want to enter. If too few decide to accept those rules, then the rulemakers will have to reconsider. It is better to help make the rules than to be forced to accept them.
Pat Garvey
I think the answer to this is "factory approved". There were many aftermarket parts made for 914's, but which (if any) were factory approved? "Dealer approved" means zip, nada, nothing, bullsh_t!

I "suspect" that things such as stripes, ski racks, mud guards & even the (choke!) rear foglight were factory approved parts.

But, unless it's in the accessories portion of the parts manual, I'd call it bogus.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 1 2007, 09:59 PM) *

But, unless it's in the accessories portion of the parts manual, I'd call it bogus.

agree.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 1 2007, 05:59 PM) *

I think the answer to this is "factory approved". There were many aftermarket parts made for 914's, but which (if any) were factory approved? "Dealer approved" means zip, nada, nothing, bullsh_t!

I "suspect" that things such as stripes, ski racks, mud guards & even the (choke!) rear foglight were factory approved parts.

Pat

Pat, I can't believe my eyes, trunk rack & rear fog lamps might be factory. thumb3d.gif

Tom
Gustl
the rear fog light was a regular factory option (M571)

but in an early (MY'71) optional equipment price list it says "not with U.S. equipment" ...
the MY'73 price list doesn't say this

bye1.gif Gustl
1970 Neun vierzehn
stromberg.gif

Pat

So, if a dealer added "rustproofing" stromberg.gif
or fog lights stromberg.gif
or a Motorola radio stromberg.gif
or chrome bumpers stromberg.gif
or a luggage rack stromberg.gif
or chrome wheels stromberg.gif
or Euro t/l lenses stromberg.gif

This is all too @#%&* arbitrary and open to interpretation by diverging points of view.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 21 2007, 12:25 AM) *

stromberg.gif

Pat

This is all too @#%&* arbitrary and open to interpretation by diverging points of view.

I see your point, but if it's written into the PCR's (& I haven't checked), then those are the rules of play. Like any other rule/law, they are subject to interpretation and can be changed (generally - the Constituion is off limts IMO) if enough people take action.

I'm still in favor of the "old" rules of concours, where you show up as either full or topside concours, and take your gigs for non-otiginality. Two classes, requires less judging time, and everyone gets to play. Oh, I also believe in a separate class for modified/race.

But, the big question is - what do we need to do to have the PCR's changed?
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 21 2007, 02:25 AM) *

No on rustproofing, most dealers did on the East Coast & up North.
I would not think so, if they're factory fog lights & grills.
If the radio is period correct, what difference does the brand matter? All radios were dealer or owner installed.
If there's no chrome on the Kardex or the COA, then yes. Bumpers are not accesories. However, as long as the luggage rack & wheels show up on the original purchase BOS, & are OEM Porsche accesories, how could anyone deduct from that? This also justifies the addition of the fog lights & radios. If it's on the original BOS, what is a judge supposed to do?
Euro lenses are out, period. Not DOT approved so technically illegal, to this day, in the US.

Edit- bumpers are not accesories, but chome ones are? I would guess that if you upgraded your bumpers at the dealer, & once again on the BOS, the COA would mean nothing & the judges would have to go by the BOS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.