Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 2.0 without idle control?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
koozy
Hey guys,

My 73 2.0 had an unknown computer (tag was missing) and a rebuilt (screws instead of rivets) 019 mps i'm guessing was adjusted to work on the 2.0 since it runs. The computer's idle control didn't work and I read that if the computer isn't a 037 the idle adjustment control on the computer won't work so I buy a 037 mps and an 037 computer. Swap them out and it had no change. $200 later and the idle control still does not work. Any ideas???

Cap'n Krusty
You DO realize the knob on the ECU is for idle MIXTURE only, right? Idle speed is set with the air bleed screw on the side of the throttle body, then may be fine tuned, if necessary, with the ECU knob to get the ideal mixture. If you got an ECU and an MPS for 200 bucks, the deal is pretty near to good to be real. The Cap'n
koozy
Hmmmmmm....... No....... I didn't know that. I thought the mixture would change the idle speed a bit too. It does on my 1.7 but not on the 2.0. Do I need a CO meter to adjust the idle mixture? If I had to start from scratch where do I start?

And by the way, yes indeed I did get the computer and MPS for $200 shipped. Searched long and hard for it and finally found a set. They work too, which is the amazing part. Just good luck and hard work looking... Every day for 2 months...... Looks as if I now have 2 working sets because the first set that I removed seemed to work the same as the 037 set on there now.
koozy
Thanx for the help. Looks like I need to do some studying huh? Sorry about the dumb questions. I'm just trying to get this thing running right and can't seem to get it dialed in. Starts right away, idles smooth, I set all of the things I know how to set (timing, valves, new plugs and wires, new cap and rotor, vacuum lines seem to be in place correctly and it looks like they have no leaks but I could be wrong, new intake gaskets and hoses, new injector seals) but when it drives it hesitates and stutters. No backfire just stutters. Ran fine for the first day after I put the motor in then the next day this started. Pulled the plugs and they look good. UUUUHHHHGGGGG!!!!! It's driving me nuts.
addwestern
The 019 MPS will make a difference on the car. Even though it runs at idle, when you start putting the car under load with higher amounts of fuel, the car will start behaving differently, probably because it is starved for fuel.

Many people start having your sanity issues when incompatible parts are substituted for the original ones.

Brad Anders' site is by far the best resource I have seen for D-Jet information.
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/index.html
koozy
It's behaving this way with the 037 MPS and computer. I changed those thinking that may be the case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.