Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not allowed into a 1975 or older car show
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
You're going to just love this story. I went to the North Saint Paul, MN car festival for 75 and older cars last night. This car show is just for fun only and all makes are allowed in. As I approached the entrance behind two 60's muscle cars, I noticed two officials with yellow T-shirts ushering in the cars (all cars 76 and newer are to park outside the sealed area). The two muscle cars were waved in and as I approached the gate one of the officials ran in front of my car and slammed his hands onto my hood and yelled at me to back up. I stopped, as not to run the fool over, and asked why? He said "This is a car show for 75 and older cars and that your car is too new". I smiled and said..."This is a 74 914 with a few mods". He shook his head and said "I don't care what you say it is...just back it up and get it the hell out of here". I then replied by saying "I'd be happy to open my door to reveal the proof in the pudding...that it is indeed a 74". He said "Your not gonna do anything except leave". I didn't know what the hell was wrong with this guy...perhaps he doesn't like foreign cars. When I asked for a different official, he then went and grabbed two cops to help him enforce his decision. The cops sided with the him and I tried to explain to the cops that the official had no knowledge of cars, wouldn't except my invitation to show my door jam sticker which clearly indicates that my car is a 74 and on top of it all...this is supposed to be a fun event and he was turning the scene into a mess with his stupid attitude problem. As I opened my door to show the two "rent-a dopes" what year my car was, they said they weren't interested in looking and said "You have been asked to leave...I suggest you do just that". I then realized this was a waste of time and exited the show with my "too new" looking 1974 914. I still can't believe this actually happened! wacko.gif I suppose all the modifications I've made to the drivetrain & body have made my car look a bit newer than what it really is. Maybe I should take this as a compliment to be kicked out of that rinky dink little car show...although at the time, I'll admit, I was a bit perturbed by the "genious car show official".
SirAndy
WTF.gif screwy.gif
scotty
...ummm...the design is timeless?

The "official's" actions are inexcusable for a "fun" event. chair.gif
VaccaRabite
I would contact the head of the event, or the event sponsors.

They can make sure that goons like that don't work the line again. If he was like that to you, he may have been like that to others as well, and it is bad for the show.

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
Come on, act like an American male! Sue him, the organization, the cops, the facility, and the city! Might wanna include the state, and the guy's employer, too.

Seriously, it's bummer, but the world is filled with officious as*holes, and it was your bad luck to run across one. The Cap'n
byndbad914
I am such a dick, but this is exactly what I would do, cuz I like to be rude back...

I would contact the promoter, explain that you keep a lawyer on retainer for your personal business and was talking to him about what a weird issue and he being a car collector and nut said that he would need the contact address for the promoter and the security agency to mail some paperwork regarding the fact the staff "slammed his hand down onto my custom hood" to stop my forward motion which nobody should be touching my custom paint job, was rude and abusive in his demeanor and verbally insulting. Explain that you stated all you had to do was open the door to show the factory sticker with build date of xx/74 (get your exact date off the car) and they continued to be rude and then the rent-a-cops refused to listen to reason and were abusing their power. When you asked to speak with another security person he got the cops instead of his manager.

It won't go anywhere but the guy will sweat bullets for a few days. Then contact the security agency. If anything, maybe they will send you a special invitation to come back, then find the a-hole and parade around saying wanna see my 74 car dipsh*t, etc. etc. I am a complete dick when it comes to stupidity and I don't find it at all "work" to screw with them a bit.
lotus_65
in case anyone wondered what that b.s. "minnesota nice" was all about... that'll about sum it up for ya.

(btw, i'm from detroit, i just live here)

actually, the straightforwardness is refreshing. usually they're so passive-agressive you think your the one who's out of line!
alpha434
What was the name of the event?

... Maybe a more official notice from a larger group?
Air_Cooled_Nut
I agree with Vacca. Plus the cops were only doing their paid duty; their loyalty goes to the person who's providing the paycheck so don't be mad at them.

And yeah! What's up with touching the car?!?!?! Make sure you mention that in the letter to the organization who put the event on wink.gif
drive-ability
You know that they don't want any nice foreign car there, no matter what year. They just want the good old boys cars. You know if you bring in an old MB or Ferrari they would have shown him the door as well, or maybe not, where theres money theres lawyers.. They get the jack-ass award!
I would be pissed off, and would have not left if it were in a public place until the cops (real) showed up. They might have been on your side... flag.gif
914-8
The charm of flyover country.
Hammy
I agree with Vacca and byndbad.
neo914-6
Sorry you got prejudged at the gate Bill

Many years ago I entered a Show and Shine with my Chalon 914 V8 and they thought my car was too "new". I rev'd the engine and they allowed me to pass. I won best Foreign class and was invited to return the next year...
wbergtho
Yes you are right about "MN Nice" Paul. As for getting all hyped up and wasting more time after the fact...I have resigned myself to never ever visit this particular car show again. I probably should have called 911 at the time and got real police on the scene...but then it would have only raised my pissed off factor even higher. I decided to leave these goofballs to there special little car show. Piss on them. Chalk it up as another weird & unkind experience that life will throw at you from time to time. Thanks for the suggestions on what I might do to straighten them out... because I can be a real shithead when I want to be. I just don't like the feeling I get in my gut when I become really pissed off. Don't think I didn't want to smack this ding dong in the face...but we all know how that would end. You know what I mean.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(914-8 @ Sep 1 2007, 08:18 PM) *

The charm of flyover country.

The salt on the roads will get 'even' for you. shades.gif
JPB
I'd kick your ass out also if I knew your hot little beast would win the show. happy11.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

It,s just the people you are dealing with. Ars Holes!!!!

Three yr. ago I contacted the local V.W. Club ,and ask if I got a group of 914's ,

could we come and display with them. Mind you this was a local club's show at a

car dealer. The responce I got was " At the next board meeting he would ask

if it was O.K. The responce was " No they were not interested in a OUTSIDE
group showing at there show.

My responce was O.K. This OUT SIDE group will never ask again.

BTW, The Mich State V.W. Club activly recruits the S.M.O.G group to show

with them each yr.

Don,t take it personal, you just fell into a nest of ARS HOLES.

BTW if the guy put his hards on my 914 the way you discribed, i would feel like

tearing him a new ARS HOLE. But at 69 that time has long passed. Altho the guys

here that suggested taking it further ,I would. Promoter,Sponsors, if it was on

private property the owner,if it was on public the local governing body.

Mention a discrimination and assault suit ( not that you would go that far)

will put the fear of god in them. And I would copy all correspordence to all of

them. Bet in will filter down to that jerk that started it all .

My 2 cents Dave slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.