Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installed my Weltmeiter steering rack spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
Here is my '75 (back dated bumpers). The PO put Bilsteins on the car and lowered it. It sits nice but suffers from bump steer.

Click to view attachment

So I bought the Weltmeister steering rack spacer kit to correct the problem (or at least most of it). Here is what I got. I used the m10x45 bolts. The threads on one of the bolts looked a little damaged so I went to my FLAPS and bought a new one. The bolts are grade 8.8.

Click to view attachment
Cevan
You need access to the auxiliary support and steer rack so out comes the underfloor protection (2 17mm and 2 13 mm bolts). As the plate is fairly thin metal, I supported it with a small jack so it wouldn't bend once 2 of the bolts were out.

Click to view attachment

After losening the steering shaft coupling inside the car (13mm and 14mm wrench: nice how they made it possible to do that without having 2 13mm wrenches), I put the small jack under the steering rack and gently lifted it up in order to insert the spacers.

Click to view attachment

Cevan
Now the hardest part: inserting the new bolts. The first bolt went in easy but the second didn't. As the steering rack in aluminum, I definately didn't want to force anything. That's when I got a friend to come over and we lined it up with one guy underneath and another moving the rack. Success!! smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then I went off on a 2 hour drive. I'd say about 90% of the bump steer is gone. I'd say it was worth the $13 for the kit and the time I spent doing it.
alpha434
Where to buy?
sww914
Weltmeister = Automotion, now owned by Performance Products.
You can buy them at GPR, Pelican Parts, or Performance Products, prolly lots of other places too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.