Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 and 901 seems slow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
have been driving my 914 around for a month now..

1986 3.2 and stock 901

It seems slow.

Cant hardly keep up with normal cars. Especially on the highway.

Seems like running along at 80-90mph in 5th gear at 3k rpms isnt what i had in mind when i built this...

Is something wrong with my car?
So.Cal.914
Taller tires/rims might help.
rhodyguy
what happens in 4th with the pedal to the stop?

k
davep
Define slow.
If you are lacking in acceleration, perhaps you need to use a lower gear. Stock fifth is way to high for performance. Don't forget, both fourth and fifth gears are overdrive ratios. If it is a totally stock 914/4 tranny, then you need to seriously consider different gearing.
John
I told you years ago, that compared with your 500HP Disgustang that the 914 would seem like less.

Yes, at 80, you will probably be turning 3,000 RPM (901 or 915) with stock gearing. My 911 Turbo (4-speed) is turns about 3,000 RPM at close to 90MPH. 3,000 RPM is where they start to run good. You should have spent more time in driving early (small displacement) 911S. They liked to be run between 5,000-7,000 RPM.

Keep in mind that your stock redline is 6,250 and the engine is ok with anything less. When you chip them, they can extend the RPM range, but I don't like to do that.

Are you afraid of revs with your megapbones (open exhaust)? Get a quieter exhaust if you can't stand the noise.

I'll take your slow ass 3.2 914 if it's not fast enough for you.

Go drive a new Boxter and see what it turns at 80 MPH.

You can always add a taller 5th gear. (a flipped "H" gear or something like that in the 5th gear spot has been done to give a taller 5th).

Sorry to hear your disappointment in your 15+ year long project.
dflesburg
So you guys really run your cars between 4000 and say 5800?

I have been shifting up at about 4200...

My Dis-cuStang as you called it would pull like a train from 2200- 5000.

I never needed to rev over 5000 in that car.

So perhaps there is life at 5000 RPMS...

Does the motronic shut off if you rev too high. (my Cobra did ) it is supposed to keep you from blowing it up.

John
You haven't hit the rev limiter and you have been driving the car for a month?
(BTW, yes there is a rev limiter that is part of the Motronic and it hits right around 6250 RPM, but this does not help if you miss a shift and over-rev it). If over-revved bad enough, you will have piston-valve interference and will be in for a rebuild.

Shit. You got old. I remember when you would abuse the crap out of a car the first time out.

Old Man.

Do you wear ear plugs while driving?

It's reving no higher than it did when it was a 1.8, and you have probably forgotten how dad's car was to drive when you drove it some 25+ years ago.

Memories play tricks on reality...

Just be careful thrashing the 901. It will come apart eventually. Only you can determine when.

Brando
The motronic cuts fuel and spark when you hit the limiter. It won't save your ass from a moneyshift, though.

Don't be afraid to get that thing past 4500. I have a feeling you're driving it all daintily. See that long skinny pedal on the right? Don't be afraid to push it down... smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Sep 2 2007, 09:11 AM) *

So you guys really run your cars between 4000 and say 5800?

I have been shifting up at about 4200...

My Dis-cuStang as you called it would pull like a train from 2200- 5000.

I never needed to rev over 5000 in that car.

So perhaps there is life at 5000 RPMS...

Does the motronic shut off if you rev too high. (my Cobra did ) it is supposed to keep you from blowing it up.

If all things are equal and with your 901 we know they aren't, the 3.2 really "wakes up" at about 4K RPM with the 915... Before that it seems like a bit of a dog to me. But, once you hit that 4K RPM it will want to take off. It does have a rev limiter built into the stock system but I am not sure at what RPM it kicks in...

My experiences are with an '84 Carrera that is pretty much stone stock at 60K miles.
McMark
What cams are in that motor will really change how it feels. I driven 3.2 motors which don't pull down low, and I've driven 3.2s which were torquey. You might want a cam swap. Also, some 16" wheels couldn't hurt.

And if I understand a transmission correctly, if the input shaft is turning 4500 rpm, you're in fifth gear, and your running 205/50/15 tires, then you'll go the same speed no matter how much HP you put through it. More HP will just make you accelerate faster. So if you're looking for lower RPM while cruzing, you need to change something in the drive ratios. Change the gearing, change to taller tires, change to larger wheels.
dflesburg
Okay guys, drove it around today and I am better now...

no more 2000-4000

now 3000 - 5500 and life is better, louder (sport muffler) but better...

and John, yeah I am old but I can run faster than you... wink.gif

flesburg
I never use 5th until I have run out of revs in 4th.
I never use 4th until I have run out of revs in 3th.
I never use 3rd until, oh wait that is not true.
In third at 40 or so, nail the throttle. You will smoke tires.
At 6K rpm shift gently into 4th and nail it again.
But, don't be on one of those crappy secondary roads around
"warm and cheerful"
It will never be as scarry as that scarry Mustang was.
dflesburg
Thanks Dad.
burton73
I put a Steve Wong chip in my 3.2 in my Carrera and it made a big difference. Not too much money with a big improvement across the power band. Just plug and play. I would think it is a big difference coming from your monster V8 that could smoke the tires on the freeway.

The red line is there for a reason. Looks like 6,250 on my 86. It jumps right up there and I shift but never cruse there. The balance of wearing out the engine. On the freeway on cruse when I want to jam I grab a couple of gears and floor it. You are getting it now.
The picture of my tack on the Carrera.

My car has 67,000 Mi
Bob
Click to view attachment
JPB
If the foot ain't hitting the floor board after very shift, ya ain't driving here bro. Just keep the grandpaw shifting for the city driving. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.