Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relocating Fuel Pump to Front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I'm getting ready to move the fuel pump to the front under the tank.

Where is the best place to tap in for power?

Seems a whole lot easier to tap into the fuse panel than re-running the wires from the engine bay.

I have no relay board if that helps.
Grelber
Allan: I'm sure this will start a sh*t storm, but Wes Hildreth, our DFW 914 guru puts them under..............the car, not the tank. He mounts them on the tub aft of the steering rack. The skid plate protects it, and you can get to it and the filter easily. Oh, and to add more fuel to the fire, he also taps the fuse block for power, with a separate inline fuse.

Let the storm begin...............
Allan
QUOTE(Grelber @ Sep 2 2007, 12:33 PM) *

Oh, and to add more fuel to the fire, he also taps the fuse block for power, with a separate inline fuse.

Let the storm begin...............

So what's wrong with this set-up? confused24.gif

Seems like the powers gotta come from there to begin with anyway plus, that's what the pump manufacturer says to do.
Dr Evil
I found it easy to just tap into the power for the pump from the engine bay and run the wires up front. Simple and effective. As for the FP under the skid plate, if it works then even better. I didnt want to cram it up in there when I had my /4, but I also had the beefier 3 nippled pump. The later pump probably fits great there.
scotty
Interesting. I know a stock '75 fuel pump would fit there, what other kinds of fuel pumps fit (i.e. what're you using)?
Marlow
The PO relocated the pump on my 74 (3 port Bosch) to the steering rack location. I think he used the AA kit to do it (found instructions in the documents he gave me with the car). It went south and I replaced it with a Walbro inline pump (similar to the two port Bosch pumps used on 75+ cars).

The only problem with wiring the pump to the fuse panel is that it's always hot. Could be a fire hazard in an accident. I believe with both D-Jet and L-Jet the pump will only run when the engine is running. In an accident you don't want the pump to continue running if the engine dies.
SLITS
QUOTE(Marlow @ Sep 3 2007, 01:03 PM) *

The PO relocated the pump on my 74 (3 port Bosch) to the steering rack location. I think he used the AA kit to do it (found instructions in the documents he gave me with the car). It went south and I replaced it with a Walbro inline pump (similar to the two port Bosch pumps used on 75+ cars).

The only problem with wiring the pump to the fuse panel is that it's always hot. Could be a fire hazard in an accident. I believe with both D-Jet and L-Jet the pump will only run when the engine is running. In an accident you don't want the pump to continue running if the engine dies.

1.) You can pull switched power from the fuse panel

2.) D-Jet ..... pump runs for a couple of seconds when key is turned on ... then runs continuously when engine has started (signal from brain to pull the relay in).

3.) Don't have an L-jet but I believe the process is similar as the vane in the vane airflow unit moves.

4.) Alan doesn't have a relay board .... to make the fuel pump run continuosly from the relay board you have to jump pins in the relay or jump pins where the EFI harness hooks in. Either way it is switched power so it donna makea no difference ..... fuse panel or relay board.

5.) The real key is to get an oil pressure fuel switch (made by Holley). Allows power when in start postion and from normal source when engine is running, builds oil pressure and closes switch. Benefit .... if engine quits, power to fuel pump gets shut off.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Headrage @ Sep 2 2007, 09:43 AM) *

your stock fuelpump connector ... shades.gif

you only need to run the 12V from there and use any ground you like near the pump in the front.

that way, you get to use the stock pump relay.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
DanT
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2007, 06:51 PM) *

you only need to run the 12V from there and use any ground you like near the pump in the front.

popcorn[1].gif Andy

I agree with Andy on this one. my pump runs on power from the original location in back, ran the wires up front to the trunk.
Allan
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 3 2007, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2007, 06:51 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif Andy

I agree with Andy on this one. my pump runs on power from the original location in back, ran the wires up front to the trunk.

I got no relay board.

And from what I can see, I would just be running the SAME wire to the front.

Why not just do what the supplier suggests? blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Headrage @ Sep 3 2007, 06:57 PM) *

Why not just do what the supplier suggests? blink.gif

because having a relay in the circuit is guud ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.