Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pin your engine bay lid for <$3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Since I have CIS on my engine it takes up a bit of room. This created a need to remove the engine bay latch and all of its related hardware, but this left the hood flopping if I ever hit bumps. I wanted to put pins in, but didnt know how....until I was inspired last night!

List of materials:
- the rubber stoppers that you already have that your lid rests on
Click to view attachment

- 2x 1/4" x 3" (its good to go longer so you can cut off the excess) stainless/zinc bolts ~ $.18ea
Click to view attachment

- 2x flat 1/4" washers, Stainless/zinc ~ $.10ea
- 2x 1/16" pins, ~$1.20
- Drill bits, drill, cut off wheel

1) Take the rubber nubs off. They are threaded and unscrew.
2) Drill a hole that is smaller than 1/4 inch buy 2 sizes down the center of the nubs (I forget what I used, I just grabbed the bit two sizes down)
Click to view attachment

3) Cut heads off of bolts and place the bolt shaft into the holes you drilled.
Click to view attachment

Dr Evil
4) Put nubs back on and check where the holes need to be drilled through the lid.
* Use a hammer to beat the nubs until they hit a spot on the lid where it is flat and make the sides match*
Click to view attachment

5) Notch the nubs on the outboard side so the lid will seat correctly (this process takes the nubs a little more outboard than usual)
Click to view attachment

6) Drill the lid
Click to view attachment

7) Lower the lid, put washer on, and mark with a sharpie where you want the hole for the pin to be and where you want to cut the excess shaft material off, then remove and do such.
8) place the nub/pin set up back on and smile! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Dr Evil
Symmetry biggrin.gif
firstknight13
biggrin.gif show off......you really should be studying!!!!!! happy11.gif
drewvw

Good stuff evil. Love the why pay when you can fabricate methodology....
Rand
Nice job Mike!

How do you lift the lid? Get your fingertips in the gap and work it up, or are you going to put some kind of a loop/handle on the lid to lift by?
Dr Evil
The lid has the lip removed in the center to clear the CIS air boot so it is easy to open. I may attach the pins with fishing leaders and JB weld the washers in place. We will see, I want stand for tacky.
SLITS
I used 1/4 X 20 Standoffs , but drilled another hole in the rubber support, left rubber in same positon. Found some "cone" shaped Ricer license plate screws that were 1/4 X 20.

Left torsion bars on engine lid until I changed it to a GT style lid (will eventually put torsions bars in GT lid).
okieflyr
Nice work Mike! This gets me thinkin! ( I dont' do that often)....
JPB
Nice combo idea. Might save a few pounds and get rid of some useless and antiquated technology on that wornout trunk system beer.gif
lotus_65
clever.

thanks!
scotty
Sweet! pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.