Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NaroEscape Motorsports at Targa Newfoundland 07
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
Hi all,

We wanted to give everyone an update on our efforts and schedule for Targa Newfoundland. Once again, we will be the ONLY 914 running in Targa. Last year, we ended up 11th overall, second in class, and 4th in our division (classic).

At this point, we think we have just about everything ready except for a few minor last minute details and some packing still to do. The car was on the trailer this weekend and is leaving on Monday, August 3 to start it's 32 hour journey North. Nadine and I will meet it in Halifax, NS on Thursday and take it across the 15 hour ferry ride to Newfoundland. Once we get there, we will drive another 2 hours to St. Johns, NF, where we will meet our crew and the event begins.

We've developed a website for the race team www.naroescapemotorsports.com. On it you will find a few videos from last years Targa and from a few PCA Club Races. Pictures and more videos should be up in the coming days, so check back every once in a while and see what's there. Once we get back, we'll be populating it with 2007 Targa stuff.

To gain a better understanding of what Targa Newfoundland is all about, please go to www.targanewfoundland.com. There's a wealth of information there, including the route we're taking, video clips, pictures, etc. You can even follow our progress by clicking on the "Event Tracker" link once the competition starts. Additionally, you can go to http://www.rallyscoring.com/results/index.htm and see daily progress as they update it.

This year, we are not only competing for our class and overall win, we are on teams for various special coveted awards: The Kenzie Cup and the Churchill Motorsports International Team Trophy. The Kenzie Cup is awarded to the recognized marque (Ford, Porsche, Volvo etc.) team that scores the lowest three-car aggregate of penalty points throughout all portions of the event. We are on a team with other Porsche 911's, one of which was the overall winner last year. We won the Kenzie Cup last year and hope to do it again in '07.

The Churchill Trophy is presented to the national team of three cars that accumulates the lowest aggregate of penalty points throughout all portions of the event. We are on Team USA with one of the other Porsches and a BMW team from NY.

All in all, I think we can be pretty competitive this year. We have more experience, a better prepared car, and a good support crew. Many thanks go to the team at Continental Tire and Bill Dunster at Autobahn Collision Center. Without their support, this would not be possible.

I'm going to try to put updates on the Clubstuttgart.net website. Go to www.clubstuttgart.net, click on Racing, then the thread for NaroEscape Motorsports at Targa Newfoundland 2007. or a direct link here http://www.clubstuttgart.net/showthread.php?t=947 When I have internet access and some free time, I'll post stuff up there.

Keep an eye on our progress, and we'll give everyone an update when we return.

Wish us luck!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

-Bob & Nadine Saville
NaroEscape Motorsports
naro@carolina.rr.com

Downunderman
Good luck. Having done Tassie twice and Adelaide 5 times I know what you are in for. Always respect the scenery.
davep
Is Huey an original six. What details on the car and build?

Best of luck this year.
naro914
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 3 2007, 06:04 PM) *

Is Huey an original six. What details on the car and build?

No, not an original six. Go back to the NaroEscape motorsports site, click on Cars, then Huey. I forgot to put a link on the Huey picture for the details. At the bottom is a link to pictures from Targa 06.

there have been a few changes since I did that write up. We installed a Rennshift shifter, and we're running a 2.0 for Targa this year (it puts us in a better class). Oh, and we installed 993 rear calipers on the front. I love that set up...stops almost like a 993. Got them on the other car Papa Smurf and outbrake everyone on the track.
Chris Pincetich
Good luck! I've really enjoyed reading your stories beerchug.gif
Downunderman
At least you are back in one piece. It's almost exactly a year ago that our Peter Brock was killed in Targa West. Will it need a new tub?

I had a very exciting time crossing a wet wooden bridge in Targa 03. Rubber does not work well on damp wood. A late model Lotus was totalled on the other side of the bridge when we went past.
naro914
QUOTE(DownUnderMan @ Sep 20 2007, 05:34 PM) *

At least you are back in one piece. It's almost exactly a year ago that our Peter Brock was killed in Targa West. Will it need a new tub?

Yeah, we're fine. Not even sore the next day, just mentally distraught....

My body shop guy says he wants to take a shot at repairing it (Bill Dunster at Autobahn Collision)...on his time. He built the car to begin with and it's been a bit of a showpiece for him too.
jd74914
What happened to the car?
naro914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 21 2007, 11:36 PM) *

What happened to the car?

Without going through the long story again, we slid off the road, hit a burm, and flipped end over end (nose to tail).

go here http://www.clubstuttgart.net/showthread.php?t=947 to see pictures and more account of the whole story. Believe it or not, it's driveable. Not great, but we drove it to the ceremonial finish. Bill did an amazing job in such a short time.

Racing916
Real Sorry about your accident, but glad you both are ok, Huey was a beautiful car, I Hope you can get Huey back and running

steve
watsonrx13
Bob, I've been following your trips to the Targa and was very excited about this year's event. aktion035.gif

I have been just sick after reading your post. I'm glad that everyone was OK, but soooo sorry to see the car wrecked. ohmy.gif

Was this the same bridge you mentioned last year where a Lotus went off and crashed?

Good luck rebuilding the car and keep us informed of your progress... sawzall-smiley.gif

-- Rob
naro914
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Sep 24 2007, 09:09 PM) *

Bill, I've been following your trips to the Targa and was very excited about this year's event. aktion035.gif

yeah, we were so psyched for this year too. We were soooo ready, so prepared. We spent days and nights getting prepared. We practiced things. We went through the car 10 times to make sure everyting with right.....

I have been just sick after reading your post. I'm glad that everyone was OK, but soooo sorry to see the car wrecked. ohmy.gif

I started working on getting the engine out tonight...and almost broke down in tears a few times. This is the first car we really did a lot ourselves. We didn't send it out to someone to do, we did it all oursleves (with help, obviously). We (when I say we, I mean me and Nadine, my wife) installed everything. We spent months getting it just right. Bill Dunster was a huge part of this too. We all spent many, many nights until 12 or 1am doing things. This car became a part of us. We have no kids, we have cars, so this was a very close part of the family....

Was this the same bridge you mentioned last year where a Lotus went off and crashed?

No, this was a new stage, and a new bridge...
Chris Pincetich
WOW - another great story!
I just wish it had a happy ending.
Amazing repair work to cross the finish after that! beerchug.gif
Had to share this photo
naro914
Well, after a couple of months trying to figure out what we're going to do with Huey, I'm pretty sure he can be rebuilt. Bill Dunster at Autobahn Collision here in Charlotte - our crew for Targa and the guy that got it drivable at the end of the week, said that with a fair amount of surgery, sawzall-smiley.gif Huey can be back in time for Parade here in Charlotte in '08.

It's been a difficult decision here. Honestly, Nadine and I are both tired of spending all our nights and weekends (and money) working on cars. Immediately after returning from Targa, we decided not to do anything with the car for at least a year. Now, after a little time to think, we realized we wanted it ready for Parade..... time heals all wounds they say. ...I guess they're right.

I'll post pictures of the progress as we go, probably on my team website www.naroescapemotorsports.com . Should make for an interesting project.
Downunderman
Good to hear Bill. I'm off to do Adelaide next Monday. Car goes on the truck Friday. Here's a couple of photos taken at the Porsche Club Concours last sunday week in full battle dress.

Cheers,

H
naro914
fyi guys....my name is Bob, not Bill....See below....
smile.gif
Downunderman
Noted. GIGO rule at work.
naro914
Hi all,
Just an update on Huey and our Targa Newfoundland 07 adventure. You can read the entire story at www.naroescapemotorsports.com. Go to News and click on the article. There is suppose to be a full recount on an online magazine Autobahn Ambition, but the editor has had some issues for the past few months, so I'm not sure it will ever be published... So, I posted the complete text from what I submitted, plus my abreviated version.

Anyway, we are in the process of rebuilding Huey. Nadine spent 3 days completely stripping everything out of him (she's between consulting gigs) so we can start chopping, cutting and rebuilding. We found a donor car that we can use parts from, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll try to start keeping updates on the NaroEscape Motorsports site, and here on 914 World.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.