Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You guys feel it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Demick
6.4 magnitude centered near Cambria. Felt like it went on for about 1 minute.

Demick
Brad Roberts
Missed it.

(again)

Havent felt an earthquake since I moved here.

B
madd_dogg_914
I felt it here in Santa Cruz. Not much left of it, but yeah, about a minute long. Kinda cool. Any one else feel it?
Queenie
Was it centered in Cambria? No wonder we felt it so strong here, then! It felt huge here in SLO, and it did go on for a good while. I'm wondering how many paintings fell off the wall at home and how many broken glasses I'm going to find in the cupboard, if any. I bet my cat got good and freaked out, too!
rhodyguy
6.4, that's a good one. if it's shallow there could be damage. epicenter was san simeon.

kevin
ematulac
We felt it pretty good here in Burbank ... we were rolling for quite a long time.

I wonder how the Hearst Castle held up.
fuch toy
Walked into my office and everyone was freaked out....missed it, I was in the car.....damn.
Kargeek
Yea, Big News...I didn't feel it. DH
Brad Roberts
They where freaked out because you walked in.. laugh.gif

B
Qarl
You're gonna fall into the ocean one day!

Hope all our 914 friends are okay... or at least their cars are!!!!
SirAndy
wow, just looked it up on a map. bunch of aftershocks too

6.5 11:15:56 11 km ( 7 mi) NE of San Simeon, CA
4.7 11:26:07 10 km ( 6 mi) NE of Cambria, CA
4.4 11:30:10 11 km ( 7 mi) ENE of Cambria, CA
4.0 11:31:05 12 km ( 7 mi) NNE of Cayucos, CA

then a 4.6 about 30 minutes later
4.6 11:53:30 4 km ( 3 mi) NW of Cambria, CA

it's not over yet rolleyes.gif
Andy
SirAndy
ooops, forgot the map:

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/121-36.html
Queenie
I haven't felt any of the aftershocks...which seems kind of weird.
SirAndy
still going. another 5 since i posted. including a 4.0
it's moving down the coast south along a faultline ...

Andy
SirAndy
ooops, 11 since i posted, just had a 4.1 ...

that's fun to watch smile.gif
Andy
Steve Thacker
ya'll have too much fun out there LOL Its damn boring here.
Curvie Roadlover
Hope everyone's alright. If I lived out there, I'd check under my car when I got home to see if there were fresh piles of rust under the jack posts. smile.gif
rhodyguy
paso robles, what would be old/main street area is trashed.

kevin
L8Apex
I lived in california my whole life. Felt every quake from a 2.5 to the big 7.0 back in 89. That one was scary.
ematulac
I've lived in California since 1990.

After my first exposure to earthquakes, they became pretty routine. But the Northridge one scared the crap out of me. I was in Anaheim Hills at the time and it felt like the house was gonna collapse on me.
DNHunt
Kinda puts everything in perspective. Make ya feel like a very small part of the universe

Hope everyone is OK

Dave
sj914
I didn't even know we had a earthquake, but then again I slept through the 89 quake.
Britain Smith
I felt it up here at work. It was my first and at first I thought I was just dizzy.

Here are the details on the location:

Earthquake

-Britain
Queenie
I had a few things fall off of shelves, all my pictures got wonky, and one broken lampshade - but no real damage, thank dog.
scottb
been through 2 earthquakes when i lived on the west coast and one on vacation in mexico. boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

i will take the east coast blizzards any day.....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 22 2003, 12:01 PM)
wow, just looked it up on a map. bunch of aftershocks too

the way Lucy Jones explained it after the Northridge quake (10 yrs ago next month...) was that typically, for every magnitude 'n' quake, there are 10^n aftershocks of magnitude n-1. so for a 6,5 event, you'll have 10 5,5's, 100 4,5's - like that
L8Apex
You must have been scared IPB Image less....
Andyrew
Felt it in Modesto. Wasn't much left of it by the time it got here. I just happened to be sitting in a chair that easily moved. I thought I was having 'spells'. When I first saw it on TV, I thought, I wonder if it was around 11am?
I guess I'm just the sensitive type.. huh.gif

Edit: This was Dan, not Andrew. (He needs to tell me when he signs in on my computer). Be glad you guys don't have to tension timing belts. What a pain...
Uncle Richy
Felt it in Woodland Hills. This one was kinda weird - back to back motion that made everyone in the office sea sick.

TV news says 2 people dead in Paso Robles.
need4speed
I felt it pretty good at work, in Santa Maria. It was almost exactly like being on a boat in rough seas. The ground had to be shifting at least 3". (maybe more?).
It was a little gentle rolling - I thought it was a truck outside at first, then I saw the guy in the cube across from me, scared shittless look on his face, jump under his desk. By then the first bit had settled down. Then it came back bigger, still gentle waves, then kind of a quick, severe jolt. That's when I ran for the emergency exit. To stand in the doorway. Then it was just gentle rolling which slowly died down for about another minute. I could still feel it after we got outside. Like standing on a boat.

Lost power right afterwards, but no damage.
I drove home to AG, because my parents are here from Illinois, watching the kids - their first day home for Christmas break. . . but no damage at home. Some stuff knocked off the shelves, nothing broken except the side mirror on my toy Karmann Ghia. smash.gif
Mom and Dad are in their 70's, and this was their first earthquake too.
Kids (7 and 10) thought it was "fun". Seemed to handle it okay. But they crawled into bed with us last night.

Like I said in another thread - this was supposedly "the big one" - last one in this area was 47 years ago, wasn't even as bad. I'll trade this for tornadoes any day. clap56.gif
SP9146
Wasn't the 7.0 quake in 1994?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SP9146 @ Dec 23 2003, 08:40 AM)
Wasn't the 7.0 quake in 1994?

the Northridge quake, which was somewhere between 6,8 and 7,0 depending on who you ask, was January 9 (IIRC) 1994.

i lived in North Hills, just off Devonshire, between Sepulveda and Balboa. i've mostly got my life back together from the back-to-back events that week - first my ex- moved out, then the quake ...
Malmz
Mark Brittel works at the Hurst Castle in San Simeon. Haven't seen him check in anywhere yet.

My sister lives in Paso Robles. All is well. Last Saturday I ate killer pumpkin bread from the bakery (they brought it down) that was demo'd. They pretty much know everybody in town, it's that kind of town.

sm
Dad Roberts
Malmz......Glad to hear your family is OK. I have been going to Paso for the last 10 years, on Memorial Weekend, for the big custom car run they have there. Lotsa great cars every year. Really nice lil town. Sorry to hear bout the damage and the deaths............Dad
SirAndy
still going ...

597 aftershocks!!!!

check it out:
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/121-36.html
markb
Everything fine at the Castle, from what I've been told. Glad I wasn't at work.

Julia Morgan (Hearst's architect) lived in SF during the '06 quake. They made very sure the Castle (or the Ranch, which is what Hearst called it) would be quake resistant. The whole mountain is rock, so it dosn't move much.

I was under a car on the lift at the shop. Things started moving, thought it was an acid flashback, but then I remembered I never did acid.

Stood by a cement support for about 30 secs, then decided since it hadn't stopped that I should hustle out the door. It was interesting to watch the power pole in the alley behind the shop sway back & forth, and watch the shop lights ficker on and off in time to the swaying.

'Twas an interesting event. unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.