Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painted the teener on Saturday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd74914
Well, I've been finishing up the body work on my 914 for basically the entire summer. It woudl have been finished sooner but I ended up pie cutting the rear quarters and flaring them about 2 inches and did alot of hammer and dolly work to make the flare transition nice and smooth. The plan is to convert to a /6 or big TIV when I graduate from college in 2 years and I didn't want to cut the car up again.

The car itself has bean a work in progress for the last 5 years. When I bought it she looked good but was in fact a serious basket case. Large portions of all 4 quarters, the targa bar, trunk lids, doors, floorpans, and last but not least hell hole were seriously rusted. The fenders, targa bar, and door handle recesses were filled in with huge pieces of bonds. laugh.gif Anyways, besides fixing all of the rust (I made all new patches because I'm too cheap to buy replacement stamped metal and didn't want to cut my other 914), I rebuilt the engine, brakes, and changed the tranny seals (among other things).

Anyways, that was a rather long winded synopsis. There are pictures for alot of what I did somewhere around here. smile.gif

Here is the final paint. It is PPG Concept 2 (IIRC, I'm in my dorm room now and can't check) single stage and it hasn't yet been buffed out yet.

The new color is Summer Yellow and I like it biggrin.gif

PS: the pictures really don't show the shine or color really well; I was taking then right before sunset and was in a hurry to get the car in before dark. Also, the flares are really hard to see, and the panel in between the lights is getting painted flat black, as is the spaces behind both bumpers and the rockers. Thats why I wasn't worried about overspray smile.gif
jd74914
more pictures next weekend in the sun biggrin.gif
jaminM3
Great work on the flares! thumb3d.gif

So gently curved and subtle. I love them biggrin.gif

What wheels and tires are you planning on running?
jd74914
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Sep 4 2007, 12:50 AM) *

Great work on the flares! thumb3d.gif

So gently curved and subtle. I love them biggrin.gif

What wheels and tires are you planning on running?

Thanks . . . The fenders are actually 2.5 in wider than it came from the factory smile.gif I'll get some more pictures standing over it . . . you can really see them close up happy11.gif

Right now just 4 lug westerns dry.gif because I don't want to spend more this year. The plan is to go 5 lug with some 7/8in wide wheels (hopefully bbs)
skline
Don't forget to paint the inner sail panels. I did that on one and it was a pain to get in there to paint just the insides.
dlo914
What's this vent for? IPB Image
jd74914
QUOTE(skline @ Sep 4 2007, 01:11 AM) *

Don't forget to paint the inner sail panels. I did that on one and it was a pain to get in there to paint just the insides.

I had already done the lid before I remembered them (so they get done next week . . . I was too scared to lean over the fresh trunk/fenders so I get to mask them and primer/paint). In any case, it gives me an excuse to try the little touchup gun laugh.gif

The vents are a PO addition that I kinda like. I haven't bolted them back on yet. They are purely cosmetic right now. Like said above I want to put in a /6 and I figured that an oil cooled would work well there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.