Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound barrier
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I have been trying to come up with something to replace the tar sound barrier on the inside of the firewall. I called a couple of local places and found the same tar stuff in 12" squares from autobody supply places. An upholstery place suggested woven jute (certainly period appropriate, macrame and all). Neither one sounded too good so I went to the local Lowe's.

I found a product maded by Armstrong flooring that is used under laminate flooring. It looks like it's made from recycled plastic grocery bags. Very light and plenty of dead air spaces. The roll is 100 sqft and weighs about a pound or so. It's about 1/8 inch thick so I'll double it up.

I'll let you know how it goes

Dave
garyh
I made a copy of the "tar thing" with modern engine-lid liner.

I cut it to size, then "bound" the edges with heating duct tape (the aluminum stuff, not duct tape.)

Glued it to the firewall with "super 3M".

Weighs less than a pound, and cuts most of the engine noise. Way quieter than stock.

While I was in there, I did the engine lid too. Now it goes "thunk" instead of "clinck".

And it looks pretty darn good, too.
Qarl
What about neoprene? It is rubber is full of tiny air bubbles. Seems it would be a good sound insulator and vibration damper.

Like the mousepad material.

I can get 1/4" thick sheets of it for virtually nothing.
Stitch
I used Dynamatt that I picked up from a stereo shop. It is made to go on
sheet metal to sound deaden. It works great ! has a self adhesion back
on it , although it is a little heavy.
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Rusty
I recovered my own door panels. The OEM panels have a thin yellowish sheet of foam that is inbetween the core and the vinyl.

I junked that flimsy crap, and glued down a 1/8th inch foam rubber onto the door panel core. I got the stuff from a carpet store. It didn't weigh very much, but certainly quieted noise from the empty early doors.

-Rusty smoke.gif
redshift
QUOTE(kellzey @ Dec 22 2003, 07:01 PM)
Like the mousepad material.

I can get 1/4" thick sheets of it for virtually nothing.

I'd pay good money for underwear made of that stuff..

M
seanery
never have to leave your chair, huh? laugh.gif
Qarl
Maybe they can replace his regular straight jacket with one made from neoprene!
rick 918-S
My upholstery friend is really into sound deadening. He told me you need to use two layers of different material to change the frequency as it tries to pass through. The change causes the sound to die.
Eddie Williams
Has anyone used that "Brown bread" stuff?
ChrisReale
I took both sound pads out! But they would not help me now, because I put on a Flowmaster Brad had laying around his shop. Felt like my ears were bleeding.....I loved it! The people in Novato didn't though happy11.gif
DNHunt
I'm too old for that Chris. The organ at church makes my ears hurt so I need some kind of sound barrier.

Here's the stuff I used
DNHunt
Since it's so thin I used 2 thicknesses
DNHunt
Cushy but bounces back real quick
Gint
How much did the total amount of material installed in the car weigh?
Eddie Williams
Is it self adhesive or did you use spray???
DNHunt
Mike

I don't really know but I would guess a pound or so. Cheap too, $25 at Home Despot.

Eddie

I used contact cement. I hope it doesn't need to come back out.

Here's the interior going back in. I forgot to index the shift rod before I took it out so I need to adjust it. I'll leave the console out until then.

Dave
rhodyguy
you're really in the put together mode now dave! what's the next big leap?

kevin
DNHunt
Next step is engine in (hopefully next weekend). Filled tranny, changed oil and replaced front engine mounts this morning. Sometime today I'll adjust the valves, clean up the grounds and connectors and replace the rear engine mounts. This week I have to replace a couple of exhaust studs.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.