Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The parts are coming
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
first things first...

I will BBQ or donuts and coffee (depending on the time)
I will supply drinks/beer beer.gif beerchug.gif

Now that we cleared that up biggrin.gif

I am going to p/u my engine parts this Sat. and I should have all the stuff for a bottom end build on the 15th.

I have never built up the bottom side so I am looking for a little help.

Anyone interested?

Keith

ConeDodger
QUOTE(toon1 @ Sep 6 2007, 03:10 PM) *

first things first...

I am going to p/u my engine parts this Sat. and I should have all the stuff for a bottom end build on the 15th.

Anyone interested?

Keith

I hope to be autocrossing in the silver car that day so I am out but just a thought...

If we are talking about a Type IV, that part is pretty easy... Do you have the Jake Bug Me Video? Things don't require real thought until the deck height measurements to set CR and the valve train geometry...
toon1
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 6 2007, 03:57 PM) *

first things first...

Anyone interested?

Keith

I hope to be autocrossing in the silver car that day so I am out but just a thought...

If we are talking about a Type IV, that part is pretty easy... Do you have the Jake Bug Me Video? Things don't require real thought until the deck height measurements to set CR and the valve train geometry...

No I don't have the video, If anyone has one I could borrow that would be great.

It is a type 4 1.7

G e o r g e
Video
ConeDodger
QUOTE(toon1 @ Sep 6 2007, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 6 2007, 03:57 PM) *

first things first...

Anyone interested?

Keith

No I don't have the video, If anyone has one I could borrow that would be great.

It is a type 4 1.7

The video is available for a coin or two from the Type IV Store. Seriously, up to setting the compression ratio it is as easy as putting a model together when you were a kid. Assuming you are working with standard standard crank etc... Just follow the steps. Then once you get to setting the CR you can have a party and get people there who know how to walk you through it.
Good luck...
Twystd1
OK.. Allow me to put my foot in my proverbial mouth... (again)

I am going to try to NOT be a negative kinda guy.. But here goes...

A truly successful assembly party might mean that you have measured EVERY single part with the right measuring tools and have made positive sure that every part is within spec for your build. You have double checked your machinists work and made sure it's spot on.....

I usually measure all of my parts at the machinists shop before take my parts home. And I use my tools. Not his. (I do use his bore gauge)
That saves me a trip back if something is bit off.

THEN you can have a build party. Cause if anything isn't in spec. The build immediately stops. Then the ya wait till Monday and off to machinists again and a wait for him to fix the problem.

Then you have a build party again. YEAH...

How about having a measuring party a week before and then a build party....??????????
At least Plasti-Gauge the bottom end and check ring gap as a minimum.
If ya don't have bore gauges and Mics, calipers, etc.

Hell. If'n it all fits. You can build your long block in a day.

If you are running a non stock cam. Add Valve train GEO to the list.

Valve train GEO can take ME from 6 hours to 10 hours if it turns into a pain in the ass. Then cutting the pushrods on a lathe, installing them and double checking GEO again.
Some guys say they can do it in a couple of hours. Guess they got lucky.
Kinda depends on how perfect the machining was done and how far away from stock I get. Wild engine take wild hours IMHO.

Please take note:
I don't know shit in the comparative analysis to some of the other guys here. Yet I do know a couple of things....

Here's a pretty normal occurrence:
I show up to help build a engine and things don't fit. And if it takes more than a file and/or some sandpaper to clearance,
it's off to the machinist.
And hopefully he is open that Saturday. On a Sunday we are usually dead meat.
Or the guy puts the engine together anyway.. (You know who you are)

Then again.....
You may well have your parts go together like "Buttah".
It happens. Especially stock builds where machining was at a minimum.

Thats my .02 worth.

Cheers,
Clayton

I just re-read my post. Holy shit. I am seriously anal retentive....
I am still laughing at myself... Funny stuff.......
Now back to my den of iniquity....... CCC
toon1
as funny as your post is, there is some good info in there.

I am planning on checking everything BEFORE the build.

Good point about checking things at the machinest. I will do that Sat. when I p/u the parts. Matter of fact I will have him help me, he's had the parts for almost 4 month's, he WILL afford the time to spend checking them out.

If things are not right or I don't have all the parts, I will call the build off.

I am only building the bottom half not the whole motor. I have done the top end before.

Thank's, Keith
Twystd1
I think my typos and syntax errors are fascinating...

Thats what I think....

Clayton
toon1
icon_bump.gif

Just incase someone might want to help
ConeDodger
QUOTE(toon1 @ Sep 12 2007, 02:03 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

Just incase someone might want to help

Well if you have been reading my 2270 thread you know that I will be at the San Joaquin County Fairgrounds so I am out... I am very serious though... If all of the measurements have been done you can bolt it together up to the pistons and cylinders without help... Just watch the video. Then have the party for compression ratio and valve train geometry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.