Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Rack Removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Hi Gang,

I've got the entire front end off the car but the rack doesn't want to budge. I've loosened the knuckle under the dash etc... any tricks? I'd like to take it out to refinish it, the pan and install the Turbo Tie rods.

Any help would be appreciated...
URY914
Have you taken the gas tank out?
Look under it. There's a connection there.
Paul
Eric_Shea
Everything is out... this thing's a shell right now.
Qarl
And you undid the u-clamp that is in the gas tank compartment?

So what's not budging?
Eric_Shea
And you undid the u-clamp that is in the gas tank compartment?

Yupper... I can pull on it but it feels like a rubbery hold up. No hard clanking or anything. Seriously stuck.
URY914
Time for the BFH smash.gif

(not really)

Paul
Stitch
Use a bigger hammer
URY914
DO NOT get under and pull. It is HEAVY! (Wonder why I know?) Work it from the sides.
Eric_Shea
Use a bigger hammer

Fucking genius... Stop sawing on that jungle drum and get your ass over here and help me! laugh.gif

smash.gif
Eric_Shea
DO NOT get under and pull. It is HEAVY! (Wonder why I know?) Work it from the sides.

We have a DDS on the board laugh.gif

So what was holding yours up?
URY914
Is the master cyl removed or in the way?
Qarl
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Maybe pics of where you are would help!!!
Qarl
And I assume you undid (loosened and separated) the u-joints from the steering column shaft to the steering rack?
Eric_Shea
Maybe pics of where you are would help!!!

Oh, you've just been waiting to use that picture thingy haven't you? You mean I have to get off my ass... it's so comfy here in my big ole computer chair.

And yup... I loosened and removed the u joints down there. I'll see if I can take any pics that actually "mean" something...

Thanks!
Eric_Shea
OK...

Karl, thanks for prodding me to take the pics. It forced me to tackle it one more time. It's out (with no help from Stitch... probably why it didn't take too long! HA) laugh.gif

The joint under the dash was the culprit. It was totally undone and loose. It was just binding there. I reached under the dash and tapped it with my pry bar (honest... I just tapped it) and "clunk" the rack hit the floor.

No pictures on this thread. I'll post another showing the dismantle and the Turbo Tie Rod install.

Couple of ?'s:

1. What have you guys done to tighten the Turbo Tie Rods. Looks like a thin 31mm. Should I just grab an el'cheapo and grind it down?

2. Anything I should do to this rack while it's out? Part of me wants to dig in and relube it etc... but prior sources say not to touch it.

??

Thanks!

E. smash.gif (I'm actually doing something today!)

P.S. Karl... gotta love the glass bead blasting cabinets huh? smile.gif
Qarl
I just did this. It is VERY easy with the rack out of the car.

Use a molybdenum based synthetic grease in the rack housing. Take the grease covers caps off and clean out any old grease. Add the new grease. Turn the rack to both extremes and it will pull some of the grease in the rack. Add some more. Repeat as necessary.

Also, when the rack is rotated to each extreme, add some grease on the part of the rack that is exposed and then rotate it the opposite way. Be sure to reseal the grease cover caps on the rack. There is a paper seal you can get, or just use some type of sealant like loctite, otherwise your grease may leak out over time.

I also cleaned the mating surfaces of the grease cover caps really well before reinstalling and resealing.

In regards to the tie rods, I rotate the old tie rod until it was 90 degrees to the rack and use the tie rod itself as leverage to unscrew itself from the rack. The circular pieces that held the old boot on came along with the tie rods and then easily unscrewed off of the old tie rod.

Be sure to note that you use the new spacers in the tie rod kit and not the old round pieces from the stock setup.

Also, the end of the boot needs to be pulled tight so that the end locks into the groove on the rubber piece in the middle of the new tie rod. I have seen some people think it is supposed to fit in there and ziptie it down, not realizing that you have to stretch the tiny hole at the end to fit around the rubber cap.
Eric_Shea
Thanks Karl...

Already figured out the 90 deg. lever thing. I have a set on my 911 so I saw the rubber thang as well. I'll start cleaning and lubing and throw'er back together.

Film at 11:00

E.
JFJ914
What have you guys done to tighten the Turbo Tie Rods. Looks like a thin 31mm. Should I just grab an el'cheapo and grind it down?

Its a 32mm x 4-5 mm thick.
Qarl
Oh... scrub the rack clean with Castrol Purple and a wire brush.

Anything that is baked on can come off with MEK solvent.

It will help make it nice and clean and shiny...

IPB Image
JWest
Karl, you should be ashamed. Look at these spots of dirt! ohmy.gif
Qarl
I am sorry.

I will rebeadblast it or find a new one. sad.gif

I will do better next time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.