Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Took another 20+ pounds out this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I removed the alternator, the brackets, mounting bolts, belt, sheet metal, wire, relay board with voltage reg. and mounting plate, terminal block, more wire, shorted the battery cables, nuts/bolts screws, more wire, etc.

Weighed the alternator and it was 18 pounds with all the assocated parts. Than the relay board and plate and hardware had to be a few more pounds.

So all total it is over 20 pounds, maybe 22.

Next I'm going to try one of those lawnmower batteries that Brad talked about.

My best guess is the car is under 1,550 pounds. And I still have the stock STEEL rear fenders and STEEL targa bar on it. In January/Feb I'll be taking it to the PCA Club race in Sebring and putting on thier scales.

The goal is under 1,500 pounds. I asked Santa for a new set of hole saws for Christmas. w00t.gif

Paul
ChrisReale
smilie_pokal.gif
Your crazy! Is it true that every "X" ammount of pounds you loose, you gain "X" ammount of horsepower?
nine14cats
Paul,

You sick bastard!!!!

I love it! (I'm still trying for 300lbs...but I put on 6lbs with my rear wing setup).

When Santa brings the hole saws, post some picks of the swiss cheese. I need ideas of where I can drill s'more laugh.gif

18lbs...huh wink.gif ....I wonder....for a track car, do you need the fan? Or do you mount smaller remote units?

hmmm...just wonderin rolleyes.gif

Bill P.
VegasRacer
What's next? idea.gif
Are you gonna inflate the tires with Helium? rolleyes.gif
URY914
What's next?

Well let's see...
-Rear fenders and targa bar to fiberglass
-Fabricate a lightweight engine mouting cross bar (that cast iron one is an anchor)
-Maybe cut out the passenger floor board and replace with f/g
-Race slicks (much lighter than my Kuhmos)
-The left rear f/g fender will have a cut out for the oil cooler. So the current bracket and hose can be deleted.
-For the new engine I'll build a fiberglass fan housing.
-One of those lightweight high torque starters

Any other ideas?

Paul
L8Apex
mold your FG bumpers and make some super thin ones with 2 layers of fabric. I would definately do a FG floor for the passenger side. FG firewall? There's gotta be more.
Ratt
Ditch the starter! rig a start box like some of the Go-karts use. That would save a few extra lbs, But if you kill it on the track good luck getting a puch start.
Andy
redshift
You are the world's most fantastic magician, it just takes a long time for you to make things disappear.

smile.gif

M
Jake Raby
Thats good for 2 HP....

Now what you need is a set of Nickies and ceramic lifters and my DTM shroud.. Lightests stuff known to the 914 engine yet.... Nickies are good for 15 pounds alone!!
campbellcj
Paul, I'm hoping you shortened those battery cables, not shorted them w00t.gif

Wow...what a little skateboard that thing must be to drive. I haven't weighed my car lately but I am pretty sure it is back over 2100, maybe 2200...
machina
Good work paul,

I think the hoosiers are 8 => 10 pounds lighter per tire than the kuhmo's. That would be a big chunk of weight for something that gets changed anyway, they are more expensive though. I think the new RS4 hoosier is supposed to wear better than the older RS3.

Also, you can try the south beach diet.

dr
GWN7
Rear trunk floor? R & R it with FG
Curvie Roadlover
Paul, you need tie downs for when it's parked - in case the wind picks up!
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I have never seen a picture of you . But what about going on a diet? Is there any weight to be saved there? I just lost 45 lbs. Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
URY914
But what about going on a diet?

It is MUCH easier to cut weight out of the car than for me to lose weight.

Rear trunk floor?

That has been long gone.

in case the wind picks up!

Thats why I have the very deep front spoiler-if air gets under the car, I'm taken' off like that GT-1 at Road Atlanta.

Also, you can try the south beach diet.

That would be the high protein diet? No thanks, Dave.

Also, I forgot to list a lightened flywheel. 5-7 pounds?

Paul
Don Wohlfarth
Paul, you mention going to the PCA race in Sebring. Not clear whether you'll be racing.
Be careful about doing any mods to the tub. I'm pretty sure that PCA racing requires a stock tub. If you have a modified pan and a log book prior to a certain date (2-3 years ago) they will grandfather the car. If you have no log book they may (?) put the car in GTP (prototype).
Check the rule book.
machina
QUOTE(Don Wohlfarth @ Dec 23 2003, 10:15 AM)
Be careful about doing any mods to the tub. I'm pretty sure that PCA racing requires a stock tub.

Check the rule book.

rules, paul don't need no stinkin rules...

besides, there too heavy.

he runs in his own class.

dr
drew365
Tire Rack says the new Hoosier RS4 is .5 to 1.5# heavier than the old RS3 depending on tire size.
URY914
Thanks Don, but I'm not going to race it. Thoses 911 guys would protest me anyway.
Just weight it.

Paul
L8Apex
Put me as your driver, I weigh 140lbs. mueba.gif boldblue.gif driving.gif
Aaron Cox
i think the car has been "jenny craig"'d to the limit...time to move on to the driver laugh.gif beerchug.gif
airsix
Rather than replacing the passenger floorboards with fg, howabout if you cut out both driver and passenger floors and replaced them with aluminum sheet bonded and riveted to 1 or 2 inches of steel floor you left as a flange. Do the same for the front trunk (inboard of the A-arm mounts of course) if it's not gone already. You could do the same to the firewall but the fabrication would be harder with all the curves.

Make aluminum ladder/truss trailing arms.

-Ben
Rouser
I noticed on our last get-together you were running one of those large pine scent air fresheners ...

... maybe if you switched to one of the smaller ones it might save a few ...

I know, I'm not much help.
URY914
I removed all the carpet and window tinting also.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.