Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modifying a 2.0 muffler - street use, not track
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
I did a search for this but came up empty except for the Aaron Cox thread where he modified a 911 muffler. Does anybody have a cutaway pic of the 2.0 914 muffler? I've got some crazy ideas I want to try but want to know what's inside before I chop and glue.
Aaron Cox
explore! cut one open to see how it works smile.gif i would assume it is VERY similar to the 911 2 in 1 out mufflers. There was an Up Fixen der Porsche article on how to mod those with diagrams.

I assume you are using heat exchangers and not a header?

go for it! have fun! try it on a spare!
ahdoman
Thanks for the encouragment Aaron but I have no spare. I wasn't even able to find one at the GAF this weekend! I really don't want to trash the only one I've got. I saw your thread with the cutaway pic of the 911 muffler. I was hoping to find that same diagram for the 914 2.0 muffler. Or, anyone got a rusty one they want to donate? Oh, and yes, I am using heat exchangers.
So.Cal.914

I want to try but want to know what's inside before I chop and glue.

RUST.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Sep 11 2007, 08:14 AM) *

Thanks for the encouragment Aaron but I have no spare. I wasn't even able to find one at the GAF this weekend!

I've got one I don't need. PM me if you're interested.
mjmoran
I have modified many 911 mufflers as in the old pano thread. No big deal and there is more that can be done by cutting off the entire top at the seam and removing the extra plumbing in there. A word of caution though, this is a dirty smoky job. Make sure your neighbors don't call the FD on you as there is old insulation in there that always catches fire whilst welding and cutting. I like to use 2" stainless for the pipes.

http://www.911t.org/wklyreprint/modified_muffler.htm

Good luck
ahdoman
QUOTE(mjmoran @ Sep 13 2007, 07:37 AM) *

I have modified many 911 mufflers as in the old pano thread. No big deal and there is more that can be done by cutting off the entire top at the seam and removing the extra plumbing in there. A word of caution though, this is a dirty smoky job. Make sure your neighbors don't call the FD on you as there is old insulation in there that always catches fire whilst welding and cutting. I like to use 2" stainless for the pipes.

http://www.911t.org/wklyreprint/modified_muffler.htm

Good luck

Thanks Michael. Aaron Cox did a great job of a detailed mod to a 911 muffler I've seen. Is the 911 muffler the same as the 914 2.0?
GeorgeRud
This is going back years now, but I believe that Chuck Stoddard in Ohio used to sell 914 2.0 sport mufflers, which had the two parallel exhaust pipes. The insides of a 911 and 914 2.0 I believe are the same (same displacement, etc.), but the 911 muffler has single inlet pipes on each side and the 2.0 914 muffler has dual inlet pipes on each side.

Get the torch out and have a fling. I'm sure Otto in Venice Beach could also give you some info.
andys
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Sep 10 2007, 09:43 PM) *

I did a search for this but came up empty except for the Aaron Cox thread where he modified a 911 muffler. Does anybody have a cutaway pic of the 2.0 914 muffler? I've got some crazy ideas I want to try but want to know what's inside before I chop and glue.

What's the matter Steve, too few projects???????????

This guy's amazing; 914, bathroom re-model, restoring BMW R60, all at the same time!!! (And) He still has time to lend a helping hand to others, attend GAF, ride drit bikes, etc, etc. I'm worn out already beer.gif

Andys
ahdoman
QUOTE(andys @ Sep 13 2007, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(ahdoman @ Sep 10 2007, 09:43 PM) *

What's the matter Steve, too few projects???????????

This guy's amazing; 914, bathroom re-model, restoring BMW R60, all at the same time!!! (And) He still has time to lend a helping hand to others, attend GAF, ride drit bikes, etc, etc. I'm worn out already beer.gif

Andys

Thanks Andy (I think) blink.gif ! See the difference is I have no kids or their cars to fix!
2-OH!
I heard that...

2-OH!
Aaron Cox
so did you do it yet?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=63852

shameless plug for what craig downs and i did.... tongue.gif
nein14
here is a 2.0 GT style that I sold last year to a member here smile.gif
nein14
pics
ahdoman
Guys,
Thanks for all the great replies but maybe I should clarify this; I am not looking to build a dual purpose Track / Street exhaust. What I want to do is move the outlet to the center so once I install my /6 valance the exit will be below or towards the bottom of the valance. That means I need to cut off the current end exit, plug it and add a new one in the center. I would like to keep the exhaust as quiet as possible but still sound nice. That's why I was looking for either an old rusty unit to cut open to see how the baffling works or possibly a drawing cutaway. Anybody have any theories on what I need to be aware of? Such as backpressure, merging paths, resonance chambers, etc?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.