Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 Turbo brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
strandron
I picked up some 944 turbo calipers at the swap meet at the Ventura show, I was told that with slight adjustment of the mounting holes they will fit on my 911 front end. They are aluminum black and say "PORSCHE" in raised lettering and it says BREMBO on the back , they are 4 pistons the top pistons are slightly smaller than the bottom ones . They said it was origionaly from a 89 944 Turbo. Have any of you guys seen this done ? Would it work with my 15inch rims ?
So.Cal.914
Aaron was working on this, then I saw a kit here...Been done.
bdstone914
Yes they will fit on 15" rims, And they will fit the 3.5" struts if they are machined slightly inward. Big reds need 16" rims.
davep
Are these front 944 calipers? What are the piston sizes?
I picked up a set of rears (I think) that have 28mm pistons in all bores.
So.Cal.914
Looking at the calipers Aaron had, they mounted differently. As I remember the bolts ran 90 degrees to the 911(914) frontend. Could be wrong, happened before.
woobn8r
I have a set of 4 of these af anyone else is interested in trying this conversion.

S.
So.Cal.914
Pic's?
Aaron Cox
paul.....

i am doing boxsters, not 944 or 951 calipers smile.gif
ClayPerrine
I have a set (both front and rear) on my 914.

It was not easy to do on the rear. I had to cut off the mounting tabs for the calipers and weld on new ones with the proper bolt pattern for the 944 calipers.

I would not do it again.

Boxster brakes are a bolt on and they work even better.

davep
Can anyone be more specific as to the pistons used in each of the available calipers. Are all the pads the same size? If not, how many varieties of pad sizes are there?
Bigbohr
As said, front '86 944 turbo caliper has piston sets with different size, one set is quite a bit larger than the other. Rear caliper has 2 same-size piston sets. Don't know the exact size of the pistons though.
For pads you could consult the following catalog. It will show which calipers use the same pad. Second half of this catalog also shows the different disc sizes (diameter and thickness).
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/2007ukautocat.pdf
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 11 2007, 01:38 PM) *

paul.....

i am doing boxsters, not 944 or 951 calipers smile.gif

Ooooop's, Told ya its happened before biggrin.gif

Must be this New Jersey water. barf.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif
bdstone914
The pad size is the same for 944 front and rears. Forgot the piston sizes as I sold my fronts.
strandron
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 11 2007, 05:16 PM) *

The pad size is the same for 944 front and rears. Forgot the piston sizes as I sold my fronts.

Thanks to all of you !!! When I order Pads would it be for an 89 944 Turbo ? Would that be the correct year ? Also I don't want to sound to dumb but does the Maltese shaped brake pad retaining wire just pop out with pliers or do you have to unscrew it's latch ? It does not want to come out easily and I don't want to break or bend it.

strandron
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 11 2007, 02:02 PM) *

It was not easy to do on the rear. I had to cut off the mounting tabs for the calipers and weld on new ones with the proper bolt pattern for the 944 calipers.

I would not do it again.

Clay, I am just doing the front brakes would that be very difficult ?
Eric_Shea
Depends on what struts you have up front. Later struts with the 3.5" spacing will be OK. You'll need to get to a 3.75" spacing. I believe most have the ears on the calipers machined to the 3.5" spacing.
davep
You should be able to pinch the retainer and thus unlock it.

If you go on the Pelican 911 Technical list and do a search you will find lots of excellent info. Follow the advice of Bill Verberg and Grady Clay. I think the best advice is to mill off the existing caliper mounts and bolt on a set of adapters. However, I don't see why welding up (plugging) the existing holes and drilling new ones will not work well. Perhaps welding causes more problems than milling and drilling.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(strandron @ Sep 11 2007, 08:41 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 11 2007, 02:02 PM) *

I would not do it again.

Clay, I am just doing the front brakes would that be very difficult ?

The holes have to be drilled slightly offset, both closer together and inward. I don't know the exact measurements. I had Wes Hildreth do it. He has done a bunch of them.

dakotaewing
Wasn't Matt Romanoski (sp?) making the ears for the rear trailing arms ?
Brian Mifsud
I've got a set, but good luck finding rebuild kits. You can't get them through Brembo last time I contacted them, and Porsche wanted $170/kit.. for Orings and Pistons????
strandron
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Sep 12 2007, 02:00 PM) *

I've got a set, but good luck finding rebuild kits. You can't get them through Brembo last time I contacted them, and Porsche wanted $170/kit.. for Orings and Pistons????
Thats outrageous ,I tried to find rebuild kits also, it gives me second thoughts about doing the change over .
dakotaewing
What about the kits on Ebay - Are they for the early 944 caliper, and not the T's?
rekphiv
Screw 170 for a rebuild kit. Go to partsamerica.com they have rebuilt 944 turbo calipers for 107 bux each and a 15.00 core. Thats alot better then 170 and having to rebuild them yourself.
rekphiv
also partsamerica has the rebuilt kits with no pistons for $9.99. not sure if it the correct kit though. looks like they have a pretty generic picture up there.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(rekphiv @ Sep 13 2007, 11:29 AM) *

Screw 170 for a rebuild kit. Go to partsamerica.com they have rebuilt 944 turbo calipers for 107 bux each and a 15.00 core. Thats alot better then 170 and having to rebuild them yourself.

You are referring to their price for the rear calipers. The fronts are $190 apiece.
Eric_Shea
I've got a complete set sitting in a box. Same thing... spoke with Brembo and they said they had them but they were coded "Porsche Sales Only". Called the dealer and they were basically a "per piston" price. Only seals and dust covers (not sure what else you'd need.)
Aaron Cox
boxsters are just so much easier tongue.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 17 2007, 11:13 PM) *

boxsters are just so much easier tongue.gif

Aaron -

Where can you by the Boxsters, besides the swap meets, and not pay $500 for a set of 4? What seems to be the reasonable, going rate?

Thom
Eric_Shea
boxsters are just so much easier

I'm not using either... I think it's goofy to put them on a teener. tongue.gif
woobn8r
Our local caliper rebuilder does a pair for $75...hot tanked, (and/or bead blasted), checked, new seals etc...

The reason I have 4 951 calipers available is that I got rebuilt Boxter calipers and adaptors from Rich Johnston. It's just easier and a cleaner install.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.