Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's fair?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
I had my windshield replace a while ago. The glass guy cut the inner bottom seal, crushed a bottom corner trim and sratched the cowling so bad I had to have redone. Not to mention the glass all over the inside.

The guys bill was 671.97. He never offerd to get a new seal I had to ask him. When he finally got it, he told me to come pick it up and pay him. Now I don't know about you guys, but I thought he should bring it over? He never did but he did call to day and deman payment. I told him that we needed to work this out before payment was made. His response was to tell me that my car was a piece of shit and that in thirty years he had never messed up installing a windshield. Over the next 15mins he ranted a lot!

I told him I just wanted to come to an agreement that we could both be somewhat happy with. He refuses to addmit that he did anything wrong. I offered to pay for his materials and nothing else, I thought that was fair. I have done some checking and I can get a PPG windshield for 305.00. I'm waiting to hear from him on his costs.

Any thoughts?
Rusty
I had a windshield R&R'd in Texas in my 914-6.

The installed bent the corner trim piece, scratched the paint near the base of the windshield and sliced into the inside trim at the top of the windshield. When it came time to pay the bill, he was embarrassed to ask for materials only.

I was upset, but he seemed honest. I paid for materials (his cost) and went on my way. Next time, I'll disassemble all I can before I have someone do the job.
SirAndy
QUOTE(akellym @ Sep 11 2007, 11:47 AM) *

The guys bill was 671.97 ... I have done some checking and I can get a PPG windshield for 305.00.

i don't remember the exact number, but i paid about $300 for the windshield installed!

and the guy did a great job. no scratches, no cutting seals. even installed the new (black rubber) trim!
bye1.gif Andy

Tim, the glass guy, doing his magick:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
jd74914
I was quoted somewhere near $650 to get a PPG windshield installed and about $300-350 for a "generic" one. If by chance I got a windshield I was told installation would be $75.

Unless your glass is PPG I think you got taken for a ride, sorry.
SteveL

I had my windshield replace a while ago. The glass guy cut the inner bottom seal, crushed a bottom corner trim and sratched the cowling so bad I had to have redone. Not to mention the glass all over the inside.

Let me get this straight. You hired a professional to replace a windshield.
He damaged the paint, cut the inner seal, and damaged the trim.
He is TOTALLY liable for these items, and has to make it correct.
He should be paying for the repaint of the cowl, replacing and installing the damaged trim, and replacing and installing the inner seal. PERIOD.

Isn't that why you hired a professional in the first place???? Hell, I can do it myself if I am willing to bend the trim, scratch the paint, and cut the seal!

Inform him that he will be billed for the paint work, and he has to replace the trim and the inner seal. If he says no, talk to the owner. If the owner says no, talk to the BBB or a lawyer.
hwgunner
I would send him a bill and a check for the amount of his bill minus your bill, for the seal, trim and the repaint. Mark the check paid in full if cashed. Better yet, tell him to pound sand. No excuse for being an a$$wipe and I bet the line about never messing up an install came out pretty smooth from all the prictice he had saying it. Make him work for it!!
akellym
He is the owner. Paint repair was 320.00, that's why I'm going to offer the 305.00 for the glass. Plus I want a new seal and trim piece from him. We'll see what happens. The thing that gets me is his refusal to admit he did a crap job. I think I'm good at what I do, but once in a great while I Frack up and eat whatever the cost is to make the customer happy.
rhodyguy
if it's the lower seal, dash to windshield, be sure to mention... THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE! YOU CAN'T BUY THEM NEW! HE RUINED AN IREPLACEABLE PART!!! i bet he used one of those 'cold windshield removal tools'. bad move, cuts the hell out of the seal. before you have a windshield r&r'ed, ask them if they've ever done a 914. like center caps at the tire store, remove your own trim. both in and out.

k
akellym
That's the thing this guy came recommend by the local Porsche dealer, they said he's the only guy the use!
rhodyguy
you might point out the shoddy work to the customer service person at the dealership. they won't do anything, but may exert some preasure on the glass guy to make things as right as he can.

k
PRS914-6
It took a little hunting but I found a new PPG for $196.00 I paid a guy at the glass shop $60.00 to come to my house and help install it. Nice guy.....

If the guy screwed up your car installing it, he should step to the plate and take care of it.

On the other hand, when I removed my glass before stripping someone glued the glass and trim in with about 4 tubes of sealer. I couldn't save a single piece of trim so you never know what these guys have to deal lwith...

Somewhere there is a compromise......
dgw
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 11 2007, 12:58 PM) *

The guys bill was 671.97 ... I have done some checking and I can get a PPG windshield for 305.00.

i don't remember the exact number, but i paid about $300 for the windshield installed!

and the guy did a great job. no scratches, no cutting seals. even installed the new (black rubber) trim!
bye1.gif Andy

Tim, the glass guy, doing his magick:

Andy,

Where do I find Tim the glass guy. I have an SC windshield that needs replacing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.