Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rufio0205
Hey, i am new to the 914 world. I literally bought mine this past saturday. and there are a few things i would like to do to it. some necessary and some just for fun. so i am going to throw this out there and look like a complete idiot. Where can i get OEM and aftermarket parts, mechanical, electrical, body, etc. i have found a few websites but i'd like to get physical catalogs so i can peruse through them and get an idea for price and what not. If anyone can help that would be great. thanks again

Thomas
Rusty
Welcome, Thomas! smile.gif

Check the classifieds... lots of people there selling stuff they've accumulated over the years. Lots of deals to be had there.

Congrats on your new car!
jimkelly
www.pelicanparts.com

others will swear by autoatlanta - some swear at AA : )

YMMV

jim
orthobiz
Pelican
Camp914
AA
GTPerformance
PEParts
GTS
Optima
Coker

Someone should nail a really complete list...

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
Places with paper catalogs tend to be substantially more expensive than those that don't have them. Oh, and
welcome.png

The Cap'n
lagunero
check out the vendors section here. lotsa good stuff that is either not available elsewhere or has been improved.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 11 2007, 08:23 PM) *

Places with paper catalogs tend to be substantially more expensive than those that don't have them. Oh, and
welcome.png

The Cap'n

The Krusty one is absolutely correct here - catalogs cost major bucks. A few years ago(90's) I was involved with a well established parts house (75 years!). We did about 60 million a year in sales, but our catalog costs were more than 10% of that. No one is in business to lose money, so figure it out. 10% of GROSS sales for catalogs! Yeppir, those parts are going to cost more.

Online's the way to go - IF they don't also waste the money on paper catalogs. Yea, I like to look at them too. But I also recognize how much that adds to the price of a part. If they're really good they can make some of that cost up in volume, but not all of it.

I really wish that everyone did business like Pelican.
rufio0205
hey thanks guys for all the help. That is very much appreciated.

by the way in case anyone wanted to know i got a '73 914 2.0 "s" i dont know if that means anything but the driver side has the flip up thing on the armrest. it came with 5 original fuchs. original red. all original but i will be the 3rd owner. i am stoked.

thanks again for all the help
So.Cal.914

'73 914 2.0 "s"

"s" ?? confused24.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 12 2007, 06:04 AM) *

'73 914 2.0 "s"

"s" ?? confused24.gif

Come on Paul .... you know this one. With the into of the 2.0 4 Banger there was talk of it being the "S" model. All the shit ....... sways, center console, vinyl, chrome bumpers, foglights, etc.,.

Kinda like a Ford Excursion vs a Lincoln Navigator.

Didn't catch on like 911S (which was the Esclade of the series)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I disagree. We are about to mass mail our new exclusive 300 page 914 catalog to our list and not raise the prices! Our genuine parts are on par with the dealer, our aftermarket parts are the same as anywhere on line, and our 200 plus line of exclusively manufactured 914 parts and pieces can not be beat anywhere! (how is that for a promotion??) Please remember that if you are not on the list to provide us with your name and address and you will get one! The deadline is quickly approaching!

If nothing else the catalog is a tribute to the strength of the 914 as a popular and easily restorable classic. I would like to see someone be able to afford to make and mass mail a catalog for a (for example) Fiat 124!
Plaindaner
If you are in the market for used parts (and you will be!) try to stay away from evilbay. For a good used site that is mainly Volks, but has a fairly large selection of Porsche parts (including 914) goto:

www.thesamba.com

and Welcome!! beerchug.gif
jd74914
I disagree with the above statement. I have found thesamba classifieds to be rather expensive.

The classifieds here are usually a god price, and on ebay some things are priced well, and others not so well.
Rusty
I've noticed the huge upswing in used 914 parts prices in the last few years. Parts, such as used stainless heat exchangers, that would go for 250 are now going for 450+. I would say that prices have almost doubled. Maybe that comes from the 914 being more popular, or it's from the testosterone-inflated eBay prices, or that 914 owners are getting a bit older with more disposable income available to them.

Either way: Hobbyists are demanding more for their used parts - and are getting it, in many cases.

Watch for deals, be patient. You'll find what you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.