Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone else's targa top squeak?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete914
haven't driven my teener with the top on it in some time. i forgot that the top squeaks a bit from the passenger's rear corner when going over bumps. this is obviously from body flex. however, you can jump up and down on the seat while rolling up the window and it doesn't hang up.
WTF.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(pete914 @ Sep 11 2007, 08:35 PM) *

haven't driven my teener with the top on it in some time. i forgot that the top squeaks a bit from the passenger's rear corner when going over bumps. this is obviously from body flex. however, you can jump up and down on the seat while rolling up the window and it doesn't hang up.
WTF.gif

Try putting glycerin on the seals.
Pat
malaga_red75
you might want to check out the point where the latch attaches to the little nub from the top. mine was making noise and all i had to do was put some rubber tubing over the nub and the sound went away. I used watering tubing for small bushes and trees and what not...
PeeGreen 914
You could just keep it off biggrin.gif
jimtab
I used shrink tubing on the latches...nice and tight and quiet now...
So.Cal.914

anyone else's targa top squeak?

Anyone have a targa top that dosen't squeak? At one time or another?

All the above advise is good...and works.
pfierb
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Sep 11 2007, 11:00 PM) *

you might want to check out the point where the latch attaches to the little nub from the top. mine was making noise and all i had to do was put some rubber tubing over the nub and the sound went away. I used watering tubing for small bushes and trees and what not...

That's what silenced mine...Peace and quiet now
Toast
OMG, does it ever!?!

Mine squeeks from the exact same spot, and has since I have owned it!!
I have tried adding felt around the targa, using 303 Protectant (a seal softener), putting padding where the latch knobby thingies are to try to make the top press down more firmly to the body, adjusting the latches..............headbang.gif

Other than replacing the rear seal itself :trackfees:, I think I have tried just about everything and It STILL SQUEAKS!!

If you find a remedy, Please Post it Here!!

toast.gif
porschecb
I used a tiny, tiny black wire tie to make the gap tighter. No squeaks for over 2 years now and with the top off you can hardly notice it unless you were looking for it. I like the shrink tube idea also. But thought that might wear through over time. aktion035.gif
Johny Blackstain
I just tried the shrink tube & it works. Nice. Double wrapped it to make it tighter & last longer. When it wears out I'll just do it again.
cassidy_bolger
can you post a picture?

thx
mikerose
QUOTE(cassidy_bolger @ Sep 12 2007, 01:59 PM) *

can you post a picture?

thx

av-943.gif av-943.gif
Joe Ricard
I have no idea if it sqeaks. Between the Tangerine and Webers, GT engine lid and no back pad.

Oh and I normally wear ear plugs and or a helmet.
pete914
shrink tubing around the "hooks" sounds like a good idea to me. glad to hear i'm not alone in this.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 12 2007, 03:02 PM) *

I have no idea if it sqeaks. Between the Tangerine and Webers, GT engine lid and no back pad.

Oh and I normally wear ear plugs and or a helmet.

aktion035.gif Same here. Well, that and I rarely have the top on.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(cassidy_bolger @ Sep 12 2007, 04:59 PM) *

can you post a picture?

thx

Sorry, this is the best I could get. I tried 4 different shots & the damned digital camera would not focus right. You can see I used a piece of sheet metal as a shield against the lighter. A heat gun would have been better. Just slip it on the roof nub & heat it up. Clamp the clamps & you're done.
jimtab
Hey, did Andy take that pic?? biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
I repeat my earlier statement - glycerine!

My squeak started & ended in 1974. Did I mention glycerine?

Quiet since, though I did re-treat all the seals in '84. Hmmm, probably ready again about now.

Besides, unless its raining, why would the top be on?
Eric_Shea

Nope... never happens on a 914. wink.gif
cassidy_bolger
Johny,
Thanks for the pics, I get what you guys are saying now. About the camera, try pressing the "macro" button - should look like a little flower - for closeup focus.

And, call me an idiot, but what the hell is glycerine? I have heard of nitro-glycerine blink.gif

PeeGreen 914
It is a type of lube.
Brando
QUOTE(Toast @ Sep 12 2007, 12:11 PM) *
[...] If you find a remedy, Please Post it Here!!

toast.gif

Yeah... Engman long stiffening kit and/or a roll cage biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Top stays on BECAUSE
racing without the top on make my car develop a push.
and the Southern sun will KILL YOU in a matter of minutes. Shade rocks while sitting in grid.

I do take the top off for tooling around town on nice days or when I need to carry a bunch of 2 x 4's home from Lowes.
BTW I do have tube things on my hooks.

AND THIS REALLY COOL STUFF CALLED GUMIFLAGE from Pelican Parts I use it on all my automotive rubber.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jimtab @ Sep 12 2007, 12:16 AM) *

I used shrink tubing on the latches...nice and tight and quiet now...

Ahh, but the additional "latching" torque will put undue compression on the rear roof seal, as well as the side window seal (though more at the rear). Won't this eventually cause those "stressed" seals to "go south"?

The word is glycerine - that's the same stuff that is in hemmi suppositories & readily available at your local pharmacy. Works too!
Pat
Eric_Shea
The word is glycerine - that's the same stuff that is in hemmi suppositories & readily available at your local pharmacy. Works too!

It is "NOT" PCA legal... w00t.gif
Joe Ricard
glycerine It makes you GO FAST av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
toomanyinkc
It only squeaks when I can drive the car -- so no, it doesn't squeak.

GTeener
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 12 2007, 05:33 AM) *

Anyone have a targa top that dosen't squeak? At one time or another?

av-943.gif I thought that was a feature?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.