Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you remove the front strut top bushing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
I am installing the poly two piece...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Joe Ricard
Press
or
torch
drgchapman
Burn it out with a torch, just like the A arm bushings.
RoninEclipse2G
propane torch and a decent mask so you're not breathing that crap in
neo914-6
tried propane but couldn't stand the smell / fumes.

I was able to drill out the top on one bushing but it made a mess of rubber "dust".

Click to view attachment

For the second bushing, I fashioned a press with a 4" hole saw and bolt and it came out in one piece. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
McMark
Cool! thumb3d.gif
PeeGreen 914
So how do the new ones look when they are in, and what is the advantage of doing this and not just replacing the camber plates? Just curious.
neo914-6
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Sep 13 2007, 09:49 AM) *

So how do the new ones look when they are in, and what is the advantage of doing this and not just replacing the camber plates? Just curious.

They look just like stock but stiffer durometer material, see the second pic. Some feedback

This doesn't affect or change camber which is another subject.
John
Now just where did you get those? I've not seen them.

I used a press to press one out. It was still a PITA.

My question is how did the factory get those in there?

Edit:

I see that GPR makes these.
GPR Strut Mount Kit
purple
I have a question...how do you get the nut off the top of the strut? I've tried a lot of brute force and the rubber of the bushing seems to keep the nut tight. any clues?
neo914-6
QUOTE(purple @ Sep 13 2007, 04:24 PM) *

I have a question...how do you get the nut off the top of the strut? I've tried a lot of brute force and the rubber of the bushing seems to keep the nut tight. any clues?

secure the top "washer" with a large enough plier since it has a tab that fits in a groove under the nut.
purple
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Sep 14 2007, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(purple @ Sep 13 2007, 04:24 PM) *

secure the top "washer" with a large enough plier since it has a tab that fits in a groove under the nut.

roger, will do once my engine is un-f'ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.