Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a worthwhile charity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I think that the 2004 is gonna be a little bit different than last year. Some things will probably still be the same like the free T-Shirt, but there may be more stuff. I'd like to support a local/regional/national charity. I was thinking about having folks bring either toys or food or xxxx. I want folks to bring as much as whatever as they can afford/fit in their car. So, I'm looking incentives. I think I've got that figured out, but mum's the word.

Anyway, back to the question.
My first thought was Gleener's Food Bank or The Salvation Army. I'd love to hear other's ideas.
Please answer if you are in the region or are thinking/planning on attending the 2004 event (see Club Calendar for date).
JeffBowlsby
A photo of a 914 with both trunks open and the top off, stuffed with food for a food bank would be a fantastic thing to see...
GaroldShaffer
Some $$$ for "Make a Wish" would be cool. Nothing I
like more than seeing kids smile wub.gif smile.gif

- Garold
seanery
Yeah, I'd rather not just be money. Not that we won't accept money, but food and/or toys take a little thought and effort. It's like Christmas, I feel that cash & gift certificates are too easy. I'd rather get a gift that someone thought I would like. I do my own Christmas cards and gift tags for the same resons. Those that get them know that I didn't just go pick up a $5 or $10 pack of cards and send them out.
Qarl
How about the Buy Miles a Digital Camera Fund?

All kidding aside...

Animal charities are always nice (rescues, rehab places)

Make-a-wish

Battered women's shelters
rick 918-S
I like the Womans shelter idea. My cousin could have used an easy to access shelter. She was hacked to death with a machetti infront of her 4 yr old son by her husband. Then the coward jumped infront of a bus on the freeway.
JeffBowlsby
This from Joe Yoder on the Rennlist:

"And why don't we include something like this for the next
ramble, give special kids a ride in a Porsche. Do us as much good as it
does them, probably more."

This could be integrated into any 914 event...

Hmmmmm.....
eresener
Sean,
My wife and I have 6 kids of our own( from 19-34)...now grown and gone....and about 7 1/2 years ago we adopted our 5 special needs foster kids...all on the same day. I think that if you know any families with foster kids... there is where the clothes/toys should go. Most kids in foster care have their own personal baggage...a trash bag....that's usually how they come to you ... but that is not how they leave...sometimes.... they need more items than any child out there... and these gifts can be given throughout the year...from clothing, personal items, toys,etc.. and they are all ages from infants to 18 year olds.....so anything that is given...they can use.

Merry Christmas
fuch toy
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Dec 24 2003, 08:07 AM)
This from Joe Yoder on the Rennlist:

"And why don't we include something like this for the next
ramble, give special kids a ride in a Porsche. Do us as much good as it
does them, probably more."

This could be integrated into any 914 event...

Hmmmmm.....

Who would drive....bet ya it would be hard to find a sane driver on THIS board. I own 3.5 Porsches and the wife has banned the kids from all of them.
Carl
smilie_pokal.gif for giving this some thought. Any of the agencies proposed in this thread would be very worthwhile. I'm a bit cautious about Yoders ride-along idea -> tough to publicize, coordinate, liability problems, unpredictable kids, parents and driver, to say nothing of the cars ...

I'm on the board of the Second Harvest Food Bank in San Jose. Any effort like this to provide food, cash donations and to raise the awareness of hunger in the community is very much appreciated.

Carl
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Sean:
After 16 + yrs. working with the developmentally Diabled community I concure with Carl. But that communities need are incredible, there is a segment that are trying to live independently and need basic daily living assistance.
This can be money to take a buss to go to a movie,shopping,buy food. There are agencies to help in many ways,but miss it in other ways. If this is what you want to do ,contact the local board of devlopmental disabilties and ask about the discretionary fund. This does things that may fall through the cracks in federal and local funding.
That is where the profit from The Mid West 914 Classic goes. If you want do go this way,let me know and I,ll help you all I can.
Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 23 2003, 10:15 AM)
My first thought was Gleener's Food Bank or The Salvation Army. I'd love to hear other's ideas.

a food bank sounds good. i prefer something nondemoninational but it's not a make-or-break thing. our local Region has designated Make-A-Wish as its affiliated charity, and last year we raised $50,000 for them...
Gint
I'm a sucker for just about anything that comes up. No favorites here.
seanery
I just got off the phone with a Colonel from the Army regarding the Armed Forces Relief Trust. I think this would be a worthwhile organization to support. Unfortunately, cash is the only way we can help. They are a small organization setup to help members of our armed forces who run into financial emergencies. All monies donated will be split proportianally among the 4 organizations: 38% Navy/Marines, 35% Army I don't remember the percentages for Coast Gaurd & Air Force.

We could do an auction of the "goodies" that are rolling in or we can just do giveaways where he who pays most gets first pick.

Idears, comments?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Jan 30 2004, 08:09 AM)
We could do an auction of the "goodies" that are rolling in or we can just do giveaways where he who pays most gets first pick. Idears, comments?

since you ask...

put all the 'stuff' in the pool. sell tickets. random drawing for tickets.
then it's organizer's call on the following:

1) if each drawn name gets to cherry pick from what's left in the pool, or if items are presented in a preset order.
2) if any one person can win multiple items.

my preference would be - preset order, with 'big stuff' interspersed throughout the process and no - once you win, you've won. buying more tickets improves your chances of winning -something- but it shouldn't be possible for one person to win -everything- even if they buy up a substantial number of tickets. (this assumes more people than stuff, of course...)

post-drawing exchanges and "resale" should be permitted, but i'd suggest that any money that changes hands -at the event- go to the charity (you have no control over what happens after...)
morph
Make a wish foundation or a donation to a childrens hospital would be nice. We almost lost our son and he was in Doernbecher at OHSU(Oregon Health & Science University).

My Suggestion: Buy the raffle tickets with a number at each end of the ticket, put a fish bowl by each high priced item and when people by the tickets they can tear their ticket in half and put it in any fishbowl they want for whatever item they would like.

Hiedi
indydad
Sean,
Good idea. Some thoughts;

Reily Childrens Hospital (Books, Toys, etc.)
Foster Families (food, clothes,books, toys)
Julian Center (Battered womens shelter) (Weapons training- he won't beat me anymore)
U.S.S. Indianapolis Memorial fund (cash)

You are doing good things and I appreciate it.

Jerry
Indy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.