Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you guys thing about electronic ignitions ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
Should I replace my points with electronic ignition system ? what are the benefits and are there any disadvantages ? What brand do you suggest ?

thanks,

Levon
TravisNeff
Your timing will stay spot on and no more messing with dwell. For me it is nice because it removes the normal maintenance of points. I use a Pertronix and it seems to work fine. Here are other Mfrs:

Compufire
Pertronix
Crane

Disadvantage is you cannot leave your key on for very long with the engine not running (but you have the same issue with points). You should carry a spare set of points and condensor in your glove box in case your electronic unit ever dies.
pin31
I've also have the Pertronix (I installed when I got the car in Nov) and it works great.

I have the Igniter II model Pertronix (don't need to worry about the key being on, plus other improvements) which I would recommend buying.

Tim
swl
Is the ignitor II available for the stock dizzy? I've also heard that there is at least one of the other brands that need a little creative modifications if used in the stock dizzy. True or urban legend?

The only downside to the electronic ignition is that when they fail they fail completely. No warning just ffft - they are gone. I've heard many stories about pertronics failure. They fry if you hook them up backwards. They fry if you leave the ignition on for a longtime. But I'm a geek - like the consistency of the electronic ignition and just put an ignitor in my car.

I had a bug shop order a new coil for me and wound up with a POS that was being sold as a bosch blue. even the BC12 is being cross referenced to that mexican coil now (according to the parts guy). I wonder if that has something to do with some of the fried pertronix units. The POS coil measured in at about 1.7 ohms on the primary. Pertronix wants at least 3. That difference is going to make the steady state current about 2 times what pertronix is designed to handle. If this type of coil is becoming common and people don't understand the resistance thing I could see problems. Mind you the POS coil does say 'without resistance'. Only english word anywhere on the box or coil.
pin31
SWL...I think your correct (the igniter II is not available for the stock dizzy).

I have a Bosch 050 dizzy (Pertronix #1847A).

Coil resistance is important >3ohms.

Tim
blitZ
You can get the Crane XR700 for $80 or so at Summit Racing, almost as cheap as Pertronix. You can leave the key on all you want. A little tricky to set up, but works well.
Joe Ricard
Any electronic points trigger coupled to a Mallory or MSD CD ignition box and you will be set.
pete914
i've been wanting to do this as well. any good write ups on the web about doing the conversion or just dealing with a points dizzy system.?
MarkV
Ignitor II wont fry if you wire it backwards or if you leave the ignition on without the engine running. You can also run a low resistance .6 ohm coil. Seems like the 050 ignitor should fit in the stock distributor ??
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 12 2007, 08:10 PM) *

Any electronic points trigger coupled to a Mallory or MSD CD ignition box and you will be set.

agree.gif

word! CDI is a great improvement. Hotter/bigger spark allows you to run a larger gap, and most CDI boxes have a multi spark below 3000 rpm to gain power and have a cleaner burn....

Love my Unilite + Hyfire + E-Coil combo from mallory.
jk76.914
QUOTE(swl @ Sep 12 2007, 07:50 PM) *

Is the ignitor II available for the stock dizzy? I've also heard that there is at least one of the other brands that need a little creative modifications if used in the stock dizzy. True or urban legend?

I have a pertronix that I installed back around '85. It worked fine until I replaced my aftermarket cap with a Bosch cap. I notice my idle was high, and first I thought my vacuum retard had failed. Turns out the Pertronix was interfering with the cap, which caused enough friction that the advance plate wasn't moving. Centrifugal advance worked fine, but vacuum retard stopped having any effect.

Being cheap, I ground a champfer in the offending edge of the pertronix. I was worried about going too deep and destroying its inner works, so I finished the job by grinding a small relief in the cap with my dremel and a sanding drum. Works fine now, though I'll have to remember to mod the cap every time I replace it.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or not. Just offering another data point. This was a really early pertronix from Automotion.
Jake Raby
The pertronix and compufire modules are good point replacements, but honestly I preferpoints in any stock, 009 or 050 dizzy just because they are what I know and can patch up on the side of the road if need be. That sounds exactly backward to what most people say, but points have never left me walking and have never cost me any power on the dyno when compared to the compufire or pertronix modules because the points are equally as good as the dizzy they are installed into for spark delivery and repeatability. IF you use any of these modules keep the old points, condenser and etc in the glovebox as well as the hardware to install them as it might save you a tow bill when the module takes a crap because it was mass produced in Taiwan.

In short, adding the module only gets you no more point settings- I personally have never had an issue with points wearing or needing constant settings.

Upgrading to the optically triggered Mallory unilite dizzy is the ultimate way to enhance the ignition in every way from delivery accuracy to a better advance curve. Every engine I build gets a Mallory Dizzy, the only thing better is direct fire ignition.

Joe Ricard
Oh yea I forgot to mention there was always a set of points in my tool bag when I was still using Compufire. Never needed it but it was there anyway.

Cleaning out my tool bag a few months ago I came across the points. Got a giggle inside and chucked them in the trash.

Unilite Hyfire pro E Oh yea baby. I think I did mine before Aaron.
JC 914

The only downside to the electronic ignition is that when they fail they fail completely. No warning just ffft - they are gone. I've heard many stories about pertronics failure. They fry if you hook them up backwards. They fry if you leave the ignition on for a longtime. But I'm a geek - like the consistency of the electronic ignition and just put an ignitor in my car.

I had a bug shop order a new coil for me and wound up with a POS that was being sold as a bosch blue. even the BC12 is being cross referenced to that mexican coil now (according to the parts guy). I wonder if that has something to do with some of the fried pertronix units. The POS coil measured in at about 1.7 ohms on the primary. Pertronix wants at least 3. That difference is going to make the steady state current about 2 times what pertronix is designed to handle. If this type of coil is becoming common and people don't understand the resistance thing I could see problems. Mind you the POS coil does say 'without resistance'. Only english word anywhere on the box or coil.

What would the symptoms be if my Pertronix failed ??
Jake Raby
QUOTE(JC 914 @ Sep 13 2007, 10:35 AM) *

What would the symptoms be if my Pertronix failed ??

Engine dies due to total loss of ignition.
swl
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 13 2007, 06:54 AM) *
Got a giggle inside and chucked them in the trash.

lol! You know you just threw down the gautlet to the Fates Joe. And they always win!
Joe Ricard
Well since I don't have anything that it will fit in it won't do me no good anyway.
Mallory optical pickup is pretty reliable.
Jake Raby

I have been using them for 7 years and pretty much nothing else.

I have had ONE die.

The cap and rotor on the Malloryy in my 912E has over 100,000 miles on it and has been imn place for the last FIVE years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.