Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Visiting San Antonio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
greybeard50
I will be in Texas for the World Skeet Competition & will have considerable down time. Are there any 914/912/911 related activities during this period? races, AX, shows, breakfasts, dinners, Sawzall parties, etc. ???
I started salivating for authentic BBQ Brisket, breakfast tacos, cooked salsa, and Mexican Coca-Cola when the Chief Financial Officer gave the go-ahead!
Dick Johnson...former Border Rat & closet Texan

Additionally, are there any drive routes that are interesting?

There was a listing of Central Texas drive routes in a slick (and very expensive) magazine called "American Driver" a month or two ago, but that was before I knew I was coming down.
BTW, the current month's issue touts Arkansas Route 7. I will be doing it. I have also seen cycle magazines articles about good rides, but nothing in TX.
TIA for any leads/routes/maps/experiences.

Local eateries that are special would be a plus.
purple
I live in Houston, I'd join you if the car's up to the task.

For drive routes, you CANT go wrong with going on FM 335, FM 336, FM 337, also known as texas' twisted sisters. These are the 3 curviest roads in all of texas and let me tell you, they are a BLAST to drive!!!

I took my miata on those roads and it was the funnest time i've ever had driving in my life!!! Go early in the morning before the motorcycles get out there though.

They are a nice big loop, google map them, you'll see they are crazy curvy and have amazing elevation changes and huge drops and a couple hairpins that put you at pucker factor 9!

Speed limit on those roads: 45, my average speed based off the GPS i had in the car: 65. top speed: 95

enjoy brother, i'd love to join, i'll try to get the red racer up to speed so i can take it out on some proper roads
purple
BTW, i found a couple of really nice drives in TX because of motorcycle routes. just google those. what's good for the goose is good for the gander eh?
FM 337'twisted sisters' loop:
http://www.texasescapes.com/TRIPS/Scenic_d...aurel/FM337.htm

this is a SERIOUS drive, and you should be shot if you enjoy the scenery WHILE driving!

it is gorgeous when you pull over, but it's seriously technical driving.

OMG, I want to go driving there again, i need to call the shop to see if they have my struts in yet!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.