Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche "six" lineage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TedK
Can someone point me towards info sources regarding the Porsche six cylinder engines............engine families, exchangeability, etc. Tried some searches to no avail. Trying to decide on engine options for my six............how big can I make the stock motor, what can swap into its place & related fitment issues, those are the type of questions I have.

Thanks for any help,

Ted K
John
For the most part, any air cooled 911 engine up to 1989 could easily be made to work in an original 914/6.

It all depends on how much you want to spend, but you can put just about any engine in there. It's more of a question on how much you want to modify.

I don't know that I would want to modify an original 914/6. I'd think about converting a 914-4.
jasons
Bruce Andersons book is a great resource for the 911 engines. However there is little 914 specific info.

Its called something like "911 Performance Handbook" and is available from Pelican Parts or probably even Amazon
TedK
Thanks for the info, I will check it out. Unless I am misinfomed, I don't consider a six for six swap a problem. I could always re-install the numbers matching motor or include it with the sale-not that I intend to sell it anytime soon. As long as no body mods are required to swap a "larger" six in, doesn't seem like an issue to me. Forgive the ignorance, but I am a recent convert from large USA V8's & V10's so my Porsche knowledge is quite limited.

Thanks

Ted K
John
The only body mod that may need to be made would be the potential need for a remote oil cooler. Most of the 911's had something to help cool them. I have heard that up to 3.2 may not need the additional cooling. I have always considered more cooling is better.

The 3.6 engines, from what I understand, do not have an engine mounted oil cooler so some modifications would be in order there.

With a stock 3.2, there would be some engine sheet metal modifications to be done. I believe that a CIS motor (2.7-3.0) would need some of the injection parts modified to fit the engine compartment (or engine compartment mods). I think the 2.0-2.4 engines would fit. (The mechanical fuel injection may need to be coaxed into fitting the engine compartment.)

I think any of the air cooled motors (through 1989) with carbs will fit right in.

I know that the 3.2 motors could be made into 3.4 and maybe even 3.8 so I think that would be as big of motor that would fit.

Again, it depends on how much $$$ you have.

I still think a high revving (7.5k) small displacement motor would be fun 2.4 or 2.5 with S cams and mechanical FI or carbs........ The added bonus would be that the 901 gearbox may stand a chance with the torque output of such a motor.
jimkelly
some engine tech specs here

http://www.idee.demon.nl/

jim
Richard Casto
QUOTE(jasons @ Sep 13 2007, 02:22 PM) *

Bruce Andersons book is a great resource for the 911 engines. However there is little 914 specific info.

Its called something like "911 Performance Handbook" and is available from Pelican Parts or probably even Amazon

I would second the Bruce Anderson book. While it is a 911 performance book and covers a wide range of topics, you will get a basic understanding of the evolution of the 911 engine and what changed over the years. And since it is a "performance" book, you get some info on what you can do to each model to bump performance. So if you are looking to do something with your stock 2.0 six or swap to a larger engine, this book as some good info. As mentioned above it doesn't cover much (if any) 914 specific info.

In addition to that book you might also consider a copy of "How to Rebuild and Modify your Porsche 911 Engine" by Wayne Dempsey. While the book is supposed to be a "How To" guide for doing your own rebuild, it also covers performance upgrades. So if you do it yourself or farm out the work to someone else, I think you can learn a lot from the book. Wayne's book covers the 65-89 engines (not the 3.6 and later engines). The point here being that the 2.0 through 3.2 engines were very similar with running improvements over the years.
sww914
I don't think that adding an oil cooler would have a negative impact on the value of a 914-6 unless it's one of the world's finest, completely original, concourse perfect cars, as long as the work was well done and not too obvious. I think that a loop oil cooler in the RF fender well might be appropriate or maybe one under the F bumper in an aftermarket spoiler that could be removed without too much trouble.
TedK
All good info friends, thanks again. I think its safe to say I will not be doing a concourse resto. In my old age I do not have the patience nor the $$$ to do it that way. I'll probably keep it 99% real with hopefully invisible improvements like frame stiffening, etc.

Ted K
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(TedK @ Sep 13 2007, 12:03 PM) *

Can someone point me towards info sources regarding the Porsche six cylinder engines............engine families, exchangeability, etc. Tried some searches to no avail. Trying to decide on engine options for my six............how big can I make the stock motor, what can swap into its place & related fitment issues, those are the type of questions I have.

Thanks for any help,

Ted K

2.0. Stock.

Sorry, I'm a CW. Could be talked into E cams, though. But that's it. Did I mention that I'm a CW? It ain't broke! Don't fix it!
Pat
alpha434
hehehe.

Engines up to a 2.7l from factory have nearly the same block as the 2.0l/6. But they can be bored to as large as 3.0l. Somewhere, Porsche changed blocks by a LOT, those are the blocks that will need a lot of modification to fit.

Bruce Anderson is the authority on the subject. Buy all of his books. That's not just "brand loyalty." Unless you can speak German. Then ask Ferdy.
TedK
Ha! I wouldn't even know what CW was if Paul(OrthoBiz) had not accused me of leaning that way. As I spend more and more time on the forum I am realizing so many little things would need to be changed on my six.........side mirror, rear bumper, tail lenses, front turn lenses, badges(silver now), etc. that I'm not sure its worth it to bring it to concourse spec. Of course I already ordered the gold badging with that 20% discount that Performance Products had going at the Ventura show. That said, any motor I may put in the car will not be done with body mods that prevent a return to "original".

Cheers
Ted K
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.