Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decided to rip off that lame sail vinyl. Ewww.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rekphiv
Decided to rip off that ugly peeling vinyl this morning. I got some goof off to remove the adhesive and try and make it look pretty. Worked well in the first pic, except for taking off a little paint at the top, Then went to rip off the other side and Ewwww... Ugly rust. No amount of polish is going to make the pretty anytime sone.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Guess its time to mix up some bondo.
P-914
Yes, the sail panel vinyl is a really good moisture trap.

I'd love to know why the fine folks that designed this car decided to cover the roll bar with vinyl on US models. I was always under the impression that the "vinyl roof" was supposed to provide the appearance of (or at least hint at) a convertible. Last time I checked, the 914 was a convertible. Did someone feel the need to make a Targa look like a ragtop? confused24.gif

Maybe it was just a big joke played on us stupid Americans...
jd74914
It was an option . . . you didn't need to get the vinyl.
toon1
personally, I think they look better without the vinyl
P-914
Optional? On US models? ...came standard on my '74.
So.Cal.914
My 72 came without.
por73914
My 74 came without it... beerchug.gif
RoninEclipse2G
couldn't get it on a 74 LE smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
I pulled mine off, then had the sails painted black. They have a texture to them, I think it looks fine.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
thomasotten
Personally, I think they look better WITH the vinyl. The car looks weak without the contrast.
rekphiv
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 13 2007, 01:09 PM) *

I pulled mine off, then had the sails painted black. They have a texture to them, I think it looks fine.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I was thinking about doing this too. It would be alot easier then trying to match the green paint. That and I plan on repainting the entire car red sometime in the future smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
I prefer w/out the vinyl & plan on removing it from my six.
jd74914
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Sep 13 2007, 04:36 PM) *

Personally, I think they look better WITH the vinyl. The car looks weak without the contrast.

agree.gif I'm putting vinyl back on my freshly painted car. On light cars especially I think the contrast is necessary. On black and really dark grey cars its not so important IMHO.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 13 2007, 12:51 PM) *

agree.gif I'm putting vinyl back on my freshly painted car. On light cars especially I think the contrast is necessary. On black and really dark grey cars its not so important IMHO.

agree.gif

The reason that the vinyl was added to the rollbar area was to CALL ATTENTION to the fact that this vehicle had rollover protection integrated into its design. In the late '60s and early '70s, there were early rumblings as to the viability of convertible design, safety and practicality in the future. If you recall, early 911/912 Targa models had a contrasting "rollbar" as well (shiney aluminum finish), while later model years had a black, anodized treatment applied. Once again, the "spin" on the contasting finish was to point out that these cars were designed from the outset to have rollover protection.

I concur with "jd" that the darker colors of the 914 can carry the "delete" vinyl appearance better than the lighter shades can.

BTW, unless you are dealing with an LE, the vinyl covering was part of the "appearance package" in all markets. (This according to published Porsche factory periodicals).

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Fresh out of the paint booth. the rollbar area looks smooth and shiney, but IMO, unfinished. The vinyl is going back on.
xperu
My Vinyl was in good shape after 30+ years, but when I decided to do some body work and paint, I removed the sail vinyl due to what I had seen on this site from rust damage under the vinyl. As I said mine looked good, no bubbling I could see, but when I removed the vinyl I had some pretty bad rust damage and it is now being repaired with a new peice of metal being installed on the drivers side. I'm not going back with vinyl and have actually filled the trim holes welder.gif . For me; some 914's look good with it and some without. Mike
toon1
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Sep 13 2007, 01:36 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 13 2007, 01:51 PM) *

Matter of personal preferance, if you like it leave it, if you don't lump it.

It's all good
KELTY360
QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ Sep 13 2007, 01:00 PM) *

couldn't get it on a 74 LE smile.gif

I thought so too, but a few months ago there was a pic of a Creamsicle with vinyl and I was told that it could be special ordered. I tried a search for the thread but couldn't find it. Anybody got info?
craig downs
I like the contrast the vinyl gives. I'm going to have Linex sprayed on mine so i don't
have to deal with the shrinkage or rust issues.
computers4kids
QUOTE(toon1 @ Sep 13 2007, 12:16 PM) *

personally, I think they look better without the vinyl

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 13 2007, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(craig downs @ Sep 16 2007, 10:25 AM) *

I like the contrast the vinyl gives. I'm going to have Linex sprayed on mine so i don't
have to deal with the shrinkage or rust issues.

aktion035.gif I like the vinyl...the cars need the contrast. However, I do like it off if you paint the sails and the roof the same as the body color...anything less looks like something is missing. stirthepot.gif
Allan
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 13 2007, 12:51 PM) *

On light cars especially I think the contrast is necessary. On black and really dark grey cars its not so important IMHO.

agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(P-914 @ Sep 13 2007, 11:33 AM) *

Optional? On US models? ...came standard on my '74.

option. called "Appearance Package".

same goes for them chrome bumpers. standard was painted in body color ...
bye1.gif Andy
koozy
I tried both and liked the contrast of the black vinyl on the yellow car. Here are pics without it (rockers yellow too) and then with the rockers and vinyl in black.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
orthobiz
Hey, it was the 70's.

Anybody with COLORED vinyl????

My dad's 73 Olds 88 had light blue vinyl with a dark blue body.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 17 2007, 08:39 PM) *

Hey, it was the 70's.

Anybody with COLORED vinyl????

My dad's 73 Olds 88 had light blue vinyl with a dark blue body.

Paul

My '70 Chevelle Malibu (when GM made a manly car) was triple black. I put a Sears air conditioner (under dash). Cool car. Great 350. Ripped ass too!

But, the vinyl top was black. Without a doubt, one of the best cars I've ever owned. My '65 Dodge Dart GT was the best, after I "corrected" it.
DanT
just paint the whole thing one color and be done with it. biggrin.gif
I removed the vinyl and the trim on my '74

had two cars with vinyl and two without....I can go with either way depending on color and car's purpose....race/track cars better without...street better with. smile.gif
DanT
and here is the basic same color car I owned with the vinyl and my 6 with as well. biggrin.gif
DanT
and this one biggrin.gif
woobn8r
Personally, I think there is a place for everything...not just with light or dark colours but, also with chrome trim....

Chrome (also called jewelry in some automotive circles) bumpers and detail on the 914 looks great with the black vinyl (and bumper top)contrast. This looks great for a street 914.

Many hot rod or race 914s have bumpers (and accessories) body colour or black which seems to make the vinyl stick out of place...

I think the choice of rocker colour (body/black) also makes a huge difference....

Okay call me a fence sitter.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.