Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for woven fuel lines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
I need to replace the short fuel lines which connect on one end to the lines that run through the tunnel, and to the fuel tank on the other end. Thought I'd ask here before calling/driving all of the place. Would my FLAPS have them?

Thanks
SLITS
7mm and 8mm - go to a VW parts house locally

Otherwise, the usual suspects ... AA, Pelican Parts, GPR, etc .
Lavanaut
Perfect, thanks! beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Actually, it's 7.5mm and 9mm. The Cap'n
rjames
Just my $.02, but I'd go with rubber lines rather than the cloth covered ones as many people here (including myself) have reported that they weep gas, and the fumes that go with it.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 13 2007, 02:42 PM) *

Actually, it's 7.5mm and 9mm. The Cap'n

Hmmm....who to believe, who to believe?

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 13 2007, 03:15 PM) *

Just my $.02, but I'd go with rubber lines rather than the cloth covered ones as many people here (including myself) have reported that they weep gas, and the fumes that go with it.

I was just thinking about that, actually. Would such hoses be more readily available? Would they be more prone to kinking?
Rand
Would such hoses be more readily available?

Yes, readily available at any parts house.

Note there is an important difference between fuel line sufficient for carbs (low pressure) versus what you need for FI (high pressure).
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 13 2007, 03:29 PM) *

Note there is an important difference between fuel line sufficient for carbs (low pressure) versus what you need for FI (high pressure).

Ahhhh, interesting. Thanks for mentioning that, I didn't realize that was the case. My car's got he stock FI, so I'll ask for high pressure at my FLAPS. Do you happen to know rating numbers? I'll check my Haynes manual too.

BTW, saw your sig ~ I will soon be parting with the stock HEs and muffler from my '74. PM me if you're interested. I'm in Bend ~ nearer Seattle than most, right? smile.gif
Rand
Do you happen to know rating numbers? I'll check my Haynes manual too.

I don't. But when I replaced all mine there were only two options for fuel line at my local parts house - High pressure FI, or not. Brace yourself though - the high pressure stuff is WAY more expensive!
zymurgist
Where is your fuel pump? If it hasn't been relocated up front (if the fuel pump is still located in the engine compartment), then you don't need the high pressure lines between the tank and the pump.

Given that a '74 is over 30 years old, I would recommend replacing the lines in the tunnel. The plastic parts get hard and brittle and the peace of mind of new fuel lines is priceless.
Cap'n Krusty
Who to believe? Me, because: (A) I know of what I speak, and (cool.gif Because the hose is hanging on the wall behind me and I double checked the size tags.

IME, it's difficult to find true 7 or 7.5 mm hose, not to mention 9mm, in most FLAPS. They'll have 8mm, which is too loose, and 3/8ths, which is wrong.

If your plastic lines are OK to the rear of the tunnel, where they turn to the right, they're VERY likely to be fine inside the tunnel. They only get brittle in the heat of the engine compartment environment.

The Cap'n
Rand
Listen to the Cap'n.

My personal experience: When I replaced my fuel lines (the rubber, not the tunnel lines) I took pieces of the old stuff to my FLAPS and they had FI line in stock that matched sizes. Maybe I was just lucky.
swl
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 13 2007, 03:27 PM) *

IME, it's difficult to find true 7 or 7.5 mm hose, not to mention 9mm, in most FLAPS. They'll have 8mm, which is too loose, and 3/8ths, which is wrong.

Just to put some precision on the american sizes.
3/8=9.52
5/16=7.94
1/4=6.35

Those aren't very close to anything we need - expectially on the high pressure side.
Lavanaut
Loud and clear guys, thanks again!
Lavanaut
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 13 2007, 04:18 PM) *

Where is your fuel pump? If it hasn't been relocated up front (if the fuel pump is still located in the engine compartment), then you don't need the high pressure lines between the tank and the pump.

That's my understanding as well, can someone else confirm this? (no offense Ken) smile.gif
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 13 2007, 04:27 PM) *

Exactly right. No FLAPS had metric at all. Finally found a VW mechanic who had both in bulk and was able to cut me just the lengths I need. Now I'd just like to confirm that first point up there before I install, since I didn't buy the high-pressure stuff. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine though, looks just like what I pulled from the car.

Thanks again
Cap'n Krusty
OE style VW hose is fine. Probably good to twice what you need, which is what it should be. The Cap'n
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 13 2007, 04:15 PM) *

I've heard this before (several times) & have to take issue with it.

My first lines went almost 20 years without changing. I've since realized that wasn't th smartest thing to do. So, I change them every 5 years now.

In the 35 years I've owned this 914, I've NEVER had a problem with "weeping". Quite frankly, if you have such a problem, you probably need to tighten some clamps. Taliking about fuel ines here, not injector weeping (diffrent story).

If you MAINTAIN these lines, like evrything else, you should never had a problem.

If you disregard them, you're setting yourself up to watch your 914 go up in flames!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.