Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guidance on New-to-me parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Hey everyone,

So this is a "new-to-me" car as it's referred to, and was just wanting some feedback on these parts I plan to order:

New Starter:
would you recommend a Bosch or Reman REMANUFACTURED starter or a used starter for a lot less?

New Ignition Coil:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...201608&rd=1

and a tune-up kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...613885&rd=1

does this sound like a good combination of parts to renew my starting predicament?
also, what is the word on the "hard start cure" kits on ebay?

trying to find out what the quality, respectable brands are among ya'll

thanks
-Steve
stateofidleness
was really hoping someone could lend some quick help...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Sep 13 2007, 10:49 PM) *

was really hoping someone could lend some quick help...

Please describe the specific symptoms you're trying to cure. The Cap'n
skline
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Sep 13 2007, 06:25 PM) *

Hey everyone,

So this is a "new-to-me" car as it's referred to, and was just wanting some feedback on these parts I plan to order:

New Starter:
would you recommend a Bosch or Reman REMANUFACTURED starter or a used starter for a lot less?

New Ignition Coil:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...201608&rd=1

and a tune-up kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...613885&rd=1

does this sound like a good combination of parts to renew my starting predicament?
also, what is the word on the "hard start cure" kits on ebay?

trying to find out what the quality, respectable brands are among ya'll

thanks
-Steve

Hey Steve,
I would go with the HiTorque starter also found on EvilBay, as for the tune up kits and coil, the one you posted links to are perfect for your Type 4 engine. Cant go wrong with Bosch.
skline
Sorry, I just reread your post, Check all of your grounds, especially the strap from the body to the transmission and the one from the battery to the body, They tend to corrode and the connection may not be enough.

There is a relay setup that some have used but I have not had to use one on any of the 8 or 9 cars I have had in the past.
stateofidleness
actually im still waiting for my haynes to arrive so i havent really done anything to the car other than take out the passenger seat to inspect rust and stuff..

as it sits, my car wont start, even with jumping the battery (ive had the battery tested and it tested fine). i really dont know the history of the car. i do know that when we "popped the clutch" and got it started that way, it DID run and seemed to run just fine.. so i figured i had a starter or electrical problem.

i had read something about the sensor under the passenger seat may cause the car to not start as the symptoms described were identical to mine: guages light up and stuff but it wont start.

so i was just figuring id replace the majority of these ignition related parts and start fresh and because im not too familiar on how to test all these parts... no real experience in that regard. ill definitely tear into it when i get the manual and ive been reading a LOT and eager. wanted to order soem of this stuff to have it when im ready to go! so thumbs up on the tune up kit?

How about the "Ignitor" electronic ignition on Pelican.. or should i familiarize myself with the stock get-up first?

thanks for the help
thomasotten
Buggy Wharehouse sells those coils cheaper and the tuneup stuff as well.
2-OH!
Go with stock points & plugs first, just to get it running...Then at the next tune up, put in electronic ignition...

Put it back stock first, Haynes will cover most of it...Then start changing things...Start with the basics first then branch out...

I prefer the High Torque starter myself just because I have had so many of the original ones go bad after a short while...Pelicn, Performance Prodauct, several folks sell them so you can get an idea on price...

2-OH!

bob174
Does the starter turn the engine over? Do you hear any noise at all when you turn the key?

If it runs after you pop the clutch, then it's nothing to do with your ignition system. Generally speaking the "ignition system" consists of your distributor, ignition wires, plugs and coil.

You'll find posts on here about a classic 914 issue with the start switch (the key) not activating the starter when it's turned so that's something to check out too.

However, if you're replacing ignition parts, I'd recommend some type of electronic ignition. I'm running the Pertronix ignitor with a MSD ignition system. Running electronic ignition generally requires replacing the coil, so if you're going to spend money on a coil, you might want to go with the electronic iginition now. You'll read lots of posts going both ways on Pertronix ignitors--mine installed easily, and works great with the MSD system. I've been running it over a year IIRC, and have had absolutely no issues. When I time the engine now, the timing mark is rock steady under a timing light as opposed to the OEM ignition where the timing mark jumped around somewhat. A jumpy timing mark indicates worn distributor shaft bushings (like, who doesn't have that?). It affects the opening position of the points, and therefore the actual spark advance. Since the Pertronix fires based on a hall effect sensor, the distributor shaft wear doesn't seem to be an issue. With the electronic ignition I definitiely see a difference in engine performance with a smoother idle and more power below 3000 rpms.

And that's all I have to say about that.

By the way welcome.png
Rusty
Before you invest in a high-torque starter, I recommend you read this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=75173
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.