Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EMERGENCY! (brake.. not emergency brake..)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
Help! I need a clue.

I took my spare cluster apart, and I can't decide the way to put the clutch shaft spring back.

shaft____tight bend___big loop around the front of the actuating arm?

========^/////U

The tight bend goes over the left edge of the cluster base, and the big loop goes around the front of the arm?

It actually holds the pedal BACK?

helwp me.

M
Qarl
from behind
DuckRyder
IPB Image

Let me know if you want it bigger.
Qarl
Another shot
Qarl
Clean
redshift
Perfect fellas, all of these helped me!

Thanks so much, only a couple hours out from installing it all, it will be nice to have proper return again!

Miles
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(redshift @ Dec 23 2003, 03:22 PM)
It actually holds the pedal BACK?

yes. this is why pedal freeplay is tested by pulling up/back on the pedal - the pedal spring pulls the pedal toward the floor, where it will be held by torsion if the cable breaks.

this takes up the slack/freeplay in the cable so you don't have a half inch of deadband to get through when depressing the clutch.

i'd mention that the pedal cluster bushing replacement tech article on the Pelican site was very helpful to me, but some people get very touchy about offsite references (so i won't do it) ...
Qarl
Rich:

I don't think people HERE get touchy. I think people over on the dirty bird rat site get touchy THERE if you reference other places!!!
redshift
It wouldn't really be fair of me to use their resources, and then protest as I have.

Thanks for the free play explaination Rich, I know about freeplay, I just never knew what.how.why.

I have to roll now, gonna put 6 liters of V12 muscle to the test, sitting at redlights in traffic, while dinner gets cold.

smile.gif

M
redshift
I have to get a camera...

Guys, I just removed 4 metric TONS of spider webs, and empty insect carcasses from my brake MC..

Took 10 minutes to get the nerve to touch it afterwards.. smile.gif

YiKES!

M
McMark
WHAT!?!?! You don't have 5 parts cars to go look at? Amateur.
redshift
LMAO Burger Chef..

=oP

M
Qarl
So... Miles.... do we have success yet?
redshift
No Karl, I can't get the frikken clutch cable off..

I'm super pissed off.

smile.gif

Wht the hell am I missing... and WHAT THE FUCKING HELL WERE THEY THINKING WHEN THEY MADE THE TUNNEL GO THAT FUCKING FAR FORWARD IDIOT BASTARD GERMAN ENGINEERING MONKEY FUCKERS!

smile.gif

M
redshift
It's astonishing... how the hell can you reach it without disconecting it on the other end? It looks like a rivet... at the clevis..

I have read the tech article a long long time ago, something is fucked.

I'm calling a flatbed, and renting a damned car, there doesn't appear to be a way to disconnect the clutch cable without destroying it all.

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(redshift @ Dec 23 2003, 07:06 PM)
No Karl, I can't get the frikken clutch cable off..

i -think- it works like the 911. it's not completely obvious - looking at the picture in the Haynes will help. there's a spring-clippie-thing that hooks back onto the cable to keep it in place, because if it came loose in the tunnel in operation it'd be bad ...

i seem to remember it's open at the top, and you have to flip it down. you can't quite see it, and it's usually corroded in place a little and you may have to (lightly) pursuade it down by prying with a screwdriver blade. but you must disengage the retainer clip or you'll never get it off.

i've gotta go fade now, sorry i can't talk you through it more. if you're still having trouble in the morning i'll try to scan and post a picture of what's going on...
ChrisReale
Dont you have a 90 pound, 4'5" Chinese circus star to bend his way into the foot well and take care of the cables?

I recall this whole process difficult because of limited access....take your time and cover all your steps and it will be ok.
redshift
No Rich, I love you, that makes perfect sense... that part is in no-mans land... I can see it with a mirror.

I am going to beat the hell out of the guy who perfected this Chinese Handcuff thing..

smile.gif

Thanks.

M
redshift
wow, that part was easy once I started using my 4th knuckle..

Still, I don't understand how it works... it won't just come off... that is for sure..

I'm in the best of spirits!

smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif smash.gif blowtorch.gif welder.gif pray.gif lol2.gif boldblue.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif

It's pissing me off.

M
DuckRyder
If you mean the clutch cable.

it has a pin, that has a flat piece made onto it that lays next to the clevis.

up at the round part of the clevis it has a clip. You have to rotate it upward to to relese the clip, than you can pull the pin.

It is very hard to explain. It is kind of like the clips that hold the lock rods in an american car, but lots bigger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.