Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack Points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalM
I need to use my floor jack and remove my wheels. The normal jack tubes are rusted out and due to be replaced shortly. In the interim, where under the car can I place the jack and not hurt anything?

Thanks,

Hal Michael
'73 914 2056 RAT
'96 993
RoninEclipse2G
Unfortunatly I don't have acess to a cam to take pics, but there's a round opening just under the side near the jack point that works great.
swl
just be careful with the jacking donuts - they can be rusty too. Listen for any crunchyness as you are lifting. If you hear anything put her back down and look for alternatives. The rear donut is pretty close to the fore and aft balance point so you are going to be lifting pretty much the entire side of the car. Heavy.
orthobiz
Found some pics where I have jacked and supported my car: the hydraulic jacks are using the donuts in the front. I used stands on the torsion bar supports, but I guess you could jack there as well.

Oh yeah, got rid of my ratchet style stands in favor of the pin style thanks to Gint!

Paul
swl
OK - confession time. Looking for a slap if this is stupid.

Since I was nervous about lifting rear using the donuts (had one start to collapse) I tried lifting the entire rear by the end of the tranny. My thought was that the lift is being transmitted straight up the tranny mounts into the reinforcement of the frame. I then put the jack stands on the trailing arms at the front. That part I'm comfortable with but am I risking damage to the tranny?
HalM
Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated!

Hal
So.Cal.914

Oh yeah, got rid of my ratchet style stands in favor of the pin style thanks to Gint!

Probably a good idea.
thomasotten
Jacking by the tranny or engine can cause the rubber mounts to rip.
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(swl @ Sep 14 2007, 07:15 PM) *

just be careful with the jacking donuts - they can be rusty too. Listen for any crunchyness as you are lifting. If you hear anything put her back down and look for alternatives.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, sometimes I forget these cars have rust issues biggrin.gif

I'm proud to have a practically rust free unrestored car, only had a problem with the drivers side outer rocker cause a PO went offroading and caught a bunch of dirt up in there
Mountain914
Does this help ? I think I got it from Damp Dave, but can't remember which post or where.

Dave_Darling
On those long areas, make sure you use a board to spread the load out over a large area.

The circles are quite reinforced and can hold the car up without anything to spread the load.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.