Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Johny Blackstain
Got my COA today, after 4 months dry.gif , & I thought it posed some interesting questions. COA said I have white fog lights & velour trunk carpeting. Did 914s come w/ yellow fog lights? What on earth is velour trunk carpeting?
Gustl
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 15 2007, 01:10 AM) *
Did 914s come w/ yellow fog lights?

AFAIK they had yellow fog lights on the earely years in France idea.gif
sixerdon
Wolfgang is correct about yellow fogs for France. But I have never seen velour as original trunk carpeting in a six. Who knows, maybe the factory was experimenting again and someone didn't like it so they replaced it before you owned the car.
I have become more and more distrustful of the information from the COA. Out of 8 catagories listed on yours, 3 of them are N/A. Now they get wordy in the options area. My COA for #0876 just states that it has Canadian Equipment. Whatever that means. The car was sold in Nevada and lived in CA. Sixes were not sold in Canada. (Maybe ONE exception)
This is a classic case where you can't display your COA at a Parade Concours without the judges holding the owner responsible to the original spec.
Don
TJB/914
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 15 2007, 07:29 AM) *

Wolfgang is correct about yellow fogs for France. But I have never seen velour as original trunk carpeting in a six. Who knows, maybe the factory was experimenting again and someone didn't like it so they replaced it before you owned the car.
I have become more and more distrustful of the information from the COA. Out of 8 catagories listed on yours, 3 of them are N/A. Now they get wordy in the options area. My COA for #0876 just states that it has Canadian Equipment. Whatever that means. The car was sold in Nevada and lived in CA. Sixes were not sold in Canada. (Maybe ONE exception)
This is a classic case where you can't display your COA at a Parade Concours without the judges holding the owner responsible to the original spec.
Don

I would question Porsche's COA. I strongly believe they don't give out correct information anymore. I know of one person (911-guy) who bought his 1974 911
new and his COA was not correct. When he raised issues about everything in their files he asked for his money back & they gave him the finger bs.gif They admited recent moves & changes with personal left old files obsolete over the years. In my opinion it used to be more accurate, but today it's about revenue$$. They have low paid clerks opening
these files and answering data they don't know anything about.

Tom (my opinion)
Pat Garvey
I still want t know what "Norwegian equipment" is. Listed on both my COA's (long story).

I'm inclined to go with Bliz's anaylsis. Further, I really don't think Porsche gives a crap about heritage anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if they suspended the COA program.

Porsche ain't what it used to was! It's all about money now, so they can get a bigger piece of VW, which is a huge mistake IMHO.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
I understand & yet wonder WTF.gif myself. COA for the LE is very, very Kosher, cept for the DOB. 02/74 according to the VIN sticker.
davep

My COA for #0876 just states that it has Canadian Equipment. Whatever that means. The car was sold in Nevada and lived in CA. Sixes were not sold in Canada. (Maybe ONE exception)

Don, could you post or email your COA for me to see. I have not seen Canadian equipment listed before. I'd bet it was the heated rear window, not sure what else. But why do they not explain the option. I guess it is a matter of interpretation, but what exactly does the record for the car state? How do they actually decode it?
sixerdon
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 17 2007, 02:03 PM) *

My COA for #0876 just states that it has Canadian Equipment. Whatever that means. The car was sold in Nevada and lived in CA. Sixes were not sold in Canada. (Maybe ONE exception)

Don, could you post or email your COA for me to see. I have not seen Canadian equipment listed before. I'd bet it was the heated rear window, not sure what else. But why do they not explain the option. I guess it is a matter of interpretation, but what exactly does the record for the car state? How do they actually decode it?

Dave,
Sorry I can't copy or send. Don't have the hardware.
Trust me though. My "Optional Equipment: Canadian Equipment" is all that is recorded for #0876. No, there is no rear heated window. I thought of the same thing many years ago. That was before I learned there were no sixes imported to Canada. (Except of course the one you mentioned.) My theory is someone misinterpreted an abreviated CA as meaning Canadian and not California.
I sent for COA's for both my sixes at the same time back in Jan. '97. My other six, #0137, is a New England car with the following "Optional Equipment:
U.S. Emissions
Koni Shock Absorbers
Blaupunkt "Frankfurt" Radio
Bumper Guards
Leather Covered Steering Wheel
Chrome Wheels
Go figure. Both these COA's were done at the same time. #0137 has the rear window defogger, but there is no mention here. And how about "U.S. Emissions"?
No charcoal filter here. The "Canadian Equipment" car has the full charcoal setup over the gas tank.
I also get a kick out of the "Bumper Guards". What bumper guards? Imagine if I brought this car to a parade with this COA? It would drive the judges mad.
Anyway, that's my story. Makes for interesting conversation and the peculiarities of these cars.

Don
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 18 2007, 06:56 PM) *

My theory is someone misinterpreted an abreviated CA as meaning Canadian and not California.

Don

Don,
I think that your theory has validity. I can picture some clerk at PCNA reading a "spec" and interpreting "CA" as meaning Canada, rather than California.

Regarding the lack of a charcoal canister on your six, my early 70/4 (build date 01/1970) has no charcoal canister either, yet my CoA does specify "US Equipment". I think the real early 914s that were not California bound somehow got into this country without full emissions controls due to either their early build date, arbitrary inspection standards at the port, or a lack of strict enforcement by the EPA folks who probably didn't know exactly what or where they should be looking on a car where even the engine placement isn't manifestly obvious.

After seeing your theory regarding the meaning of "CA" on your /6, I wonder perhaps that some misinterpretation of a specification abbreviation didn't lead to Pat Garvey's '72/4 having "Norwegian Equipment" listed on his CoA. idea.gif

Paul
sixerdon
My theory on Pat's car with "Norwegian Equipment" was that it's original destination was Norway, ME. What else could it be?

Don
jonferns
what are the true advantages of having a COA? besides being able to see how the car came from the factory (and not always)? -JON
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Sep 20 2007, 02:15 PM) *

what are the true advantages of having a COA? besides being able to see how the car came from the factory (and not always)? -JON

J,
Someday, having matching #s (as valued by 356 and Corvette folks), original code # paint (as indicated by Karmann plate), and having OEM equipment (hopefully correct on the CoA) will increase the desirability and perhaps enhance the value of an authenticated 914.
For those with /6, Subie or V-8 transplants, track cars (w/o recognized racing heritage or provenance), and otherwise far-from-original presentation, the CoA matters little.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 21 2007, 12:14 AM) *

J,
Someday, having matching #s (as valued by 356 and Corvette folks), original code # paint (as indicated by Karmann plate), and having OEM equipment (hopefully correct on the CoA) will increase the desirability and perhaps enhance the value of an authenticated 914.
For those with /6, Subie or V-8 transplants, track cars (w/o recognized racing heritage or provenance), and otherwise far-from-original presentation, the CoA matters little.

agree.gif , especially for my LE. Helps prove she's an LE, prove she came w/ a cinnamon interior & show enough owner concern for the car that I bothered to spend a whole bunch of $ to prove it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.