Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New guy w/pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
village idiot
Hey folks just thought I'd introduce myself and try to learn a few things about my recent purchase: A 1974 Porsche 914. I'm kinda new to the whole P-car thing and have a 78 911SC that I'm in the process of backdating as well.

Anyway onto the pics. Sorry about the quality, all I had on me was my cel phone, but I'll get some better pics soon.
Aloha,
Tom
IPB Image
IPB Image
roadster fan
welcome.png

looks like a nice car!

Jim
Elliot Cannon
Is that the same 914 I used to see in Waikiki, Diamond Head side??
Elliot
village idiot
Thanks Jim!

Elliot, I don't know if the car was in town. The former owner lives in Pearl City.
I couldn't believe everything works including the fog lights and even the headlights open and close correctly!

It has a few foibles, like the shifter is kinda balky which I assume is a standard trait. And the car "pops" a bit @ idle. I'm assuming that there may be an air leak or two.

It does have dual webers on it though I'm not too sure of the size. New rear 100lb springs were recently installed and there is virtually no play in the front end.

village idiot
Holy crap!! I just realized I bought a 914 on 9/14/2007.........and I didn't even plan it that way:D
jwhcars
welcome.png
Buying a 914 on 9-14 is really cool,now if ya stole the 914 for $2007 that would be wild.
So.Cal.914
Aloha and welcome.png

Now that the pleasantries are over and you are a member, you do realize that you electronicly agreed to use your 78 911 SC as a doner car for your 914-6 conversion? I'll be on the big island next year to live and to check up on your conversion. Can you say 'Superferry'. shades.gif
swl

Welcome Aboard.
mmm - 914 on Oahu - that defines paradise in my books.

QUOTE(village idiot @ Sep 15 2007, 02:01 AM) *

the shifter is kinda balky which I assume is a standard trait.

standard fault more than a standard trait.

Standard cheap and dirty fix is shift bushings http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...t_pg1.htm#item2

If that doesn't get you where you want to be then James West can fix you up with a rennshift. If you want the ultimate add his shift linkage. Check out his vendor page http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=43706

Chimo!
levonfarra
Aloha,

welcome.png

Congrats, on the nice car!
village idiot
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 15 2007, 02:23 AM) *

Aloha and welcome.png

Now that the pleasantries are over and you are a member, you do realize that you electronicly agreed to use your 78 911 SC as a doner car for your 914-6 conversion? I'll be on the big island next year to live and to check up on your conversion. Can you say 'Superferry'. shades.gif

Oh there might be something happening along those lines if I can find a 3.6 for my 911RS replica happy11.gif
village idiot
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I'm sure I'm going to have fun with this car.
markb
welcome.png
jimtab
Aloha, welcome to the gang....I saw that car when we were in Honolulu 6 months ago....nice.... welcome.png and "Go Bows"
rick 918-S
QUOTE(village idiot @ Sep 15 2007, 02:40 AM) *

Holy crap!! I just realized I bought a 914 on 9/14/2007.........and I didn't even plan it that way:D

That's really kinda funny! laugh.gif welcome.png assimilate.gif
krazykonrad
welcome.png
Nice ride!
Konrad
Allan
bye1.gif welcome.png
rktmn247
welcome.png Congrats on your purchase.
SGB
Solid, Dude.

Looks like a fine ride. That popping is probably carbs out of synch. It will run heaps better if the are properly aligned. Either find a carb guy (or fly me over) or get a unisyn and learn how (better for you, worse for me).
Root_Werks
wub.gif I really love stock fendered black 914's. Very clean looking.
Dr Evil
Aloha, the shifter thing is not normal and should be looked into biggrin.gif
por73914
beerchug.gif welcome.png
Tom
Welcome to our world of fun. You will soon know what "fun" it is to own one of these wonderful cars. Great driving cars, but seem to love being tinkered with. The "project " will never be finished! HA. HA.
Welcome again! welcome.png
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 17 2007, 10:21 PM) *

Forgive me but the rears don't look stock to me. Is it me or are they more rounded?
village idiot
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 19 2007, 03:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 17 2007, 10:21 PM) *

Forgive me but the rears don't look stock to me. Is it me or are they more rounded?

I was wondering that myself. But if they aren't whoever did the mod did a nice job as there is a factory-like lip to them.

Just for fun I swapped my custom-made 16x9.5's off my 911 RS-look project and threw them on the teener
Click to view attachment
village idiot
one more pic
Click to view attachment
village idiot
I had my car aligned this weekend(steering wheel wasn't centered) and found my tub might be a little tweaked. Gonna take it to a shop where my friend works and have them put it on the frame rack to tweak it back square:D
So.Cal.914
Say VI you might want to do a search on celete bench tub straightening(I think

the SP is right). Or PM SirAndy, he is our resident German and has done some

fine right ups on the use of them. As I understand it, the celete bench is the only

way to straighten a tub.

I think they look fine, a little wide maybe. I see...Yes I see a set of GT flairs in

your future...And a six. smile.gif
village idiot
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 20 2007, 03:10 AM) *

Say VI you might want to do a search on celete bench tub straightening(I think

the SP is right). Or PM SirAndy, he is our resident German and has done some

fine right ups on the use of them. As I understand it, the celete bench is the only

way to straighten a tub.

I think they look fine, a little wide maybe. I see...Yes I see a set of GT flairs in

your future...And a six. smile.gif

I don't think anyone on this rock I live on has a Celette bench. But this friend of mine has been straightening P-cars for about 15yrs, so I trust him.

As far as flares and a six? Once I finish the RS then this car will get the "treatment" as well agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.