Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sealing the Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
OK, I have heard it mentioned and seen it posted in ads for 914s. Someone school me, what exactly does it mean to "seal" the engine? I am pretty sure I understand why, i.e. it is air cooled and exposed to the elements based on the 914 design but, I am not sure what all this incorporates.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(stephenaki @ Sep 15 2007, 02:40 PM) *

OK, I have heard it mentioned and seen it posted in ads for 914s. Someone school me, what exactly does it mean to "seal" the engine? I am pretty sure I understand why, i.e. it is air cooled and exposed to the elements based on the 914 design but, I am not sure what all this incorporates.

It means taking all measures to stop oil leaks like push rod tube seals, valve cover seals etc. The air guides also need to be sealed to stop wasting cooling air. Around the spark plugs (for example) there is a rubber boot between the spark plug insulator and the engine tin. There are a number of holes in the engine tin that likewise need to be plugged.

Did this answer your question?
stephenaki
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 15 2007, 03:46 PM) *

It means taking all measures to stop oil leaks like push rod tube seals, valve cover seals etc. The air guides also need to be sealed to stop wasting cooling air. Around the spark plugs (for example) there is a rubber boot between the spark plug insulator and the engine tin. There are a number of holes in the engine tin that likewise need to be plugged.

OK, given the fact that all engines should be 'sealed' (isn't that why you run it on an engine stand before you drop it in?) I will make an educated assumption that it becomes more important in a 914 based on its open air configuration. Is this an accurate statement?

When I completely overhauled the engine on my now sold 78 MG I checked all the seals for leaks before installing it into the car; I didn't have to worry about rain getting on like the 914.

So, other than the obvious things, is there anything in particular that I should pay attention to with the 914 that I might not otherwise consider with a fully enclosed water cooled power plant?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.