Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric short
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scott356
Greetings all,

I am new to the 914 world site. I have a '73 2.0 which is my fourth 914 I have owned. I also own a '59 356.

I want to see if I can get some feedback on an electrical issue.

I had a bad miss that was on and off. I did a complete tune up and still had the problem.

Then things got crazy.

The engine quit on a drive, turn the key nothing. Just moved some wires around in the engine compartment looking for a loose connection, and she started right up, but with the bad miss or maybe grounding out.

Checked connections back at the house and went for a test drive, ran great. But when I got back and shut the key off, she kept running even with the key out.

Other interesting notes to help: Key works, turning the lights on and off. Starts the car but will not shut off. Hit the breaks and there is a voltage drop of approx. 4 to 5 volts on the volt meter.

Once I was able to shut the engine off by stepping on the breaks.

Not sure where to start with this. Any suggestions?

Much thanks,

Scott
swl
Welcome Scott,

I have a real soft spot for the 356!

When the engine runs on is it normal running or rough running (dieselling). If it is normal running I would really suspect the ignition switch itself - that is the only thing I can think of that might give both symptoms - cut out when not desired and run on. They are common failures but I can't remember any threads where it was still providing 12v with the key off. Usually it is just no power at all.

The voltage drop has me a little stumped - can't think what may have caused that.

A voltmeter might be the place to start. During run on is there 12volts at the positive of the coil? During no run - same question.

Probably not related but Fuel Injection or Carbs
scott356
Thanks for the reply Steve,

I have the fuel injection still running and was about to investigate the injectors until the latest problem.

The car will currently not shut off when the ignition is in the off position. But the car runs good.

The lights do turn on and off with the key which made me think it may not be the switch. Getting 12v at the coil. 14v on volt meter with car running, 12v off.

I am going to trace the ignition system completly and check for everything I can.

Did you say that ignition switch failure is common?

By the way my 356 is in West Palm and the 914 in Philadelphia area. I travel back and forth and use teh 914 when I am up north. The problem is I get little time in Pa so working out problems is tough.

Do you know any good 914 mechanics in the Philadelphia area?

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.