Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you start a car that is flooded?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I think I may have inadvertantly flooded my car yesterday after installing a new fuel pump.

I've let it set overnight without tinkering with it and am hoping it will start today.

Is 16 hours enough time for the fuel to dissipate )sp?

If it is flooded, what's the best way to get it started?

/6 with carbs btw....
So.Cal.914
Anything with carbs we wanted to get as much air in as possable. Throttle wide open. smile.gif
Brando
agree.gif

And, if you let it sit overnight, all that fuel will run past the pistons into the sump. Not good. Fuel doesn't evaporate from a cylinder when the valves are closed.

Throttle wide open, crank it over, remove center plug wire. Put a battery charger on it. You may see some fuel come out the muffler, might not. After about 30 seconds hook up your center plug wire again. Crank it over throttle open.

I may suggest an oil change soon...
Allan
To verify spark, do I just pull the #1 plug and ground it to a valve cover or something while some cranks it over?
So.Cal.914
Yeah or hook a light to it. And I too would like to take this time to sudjest an oil change.
wilchek
How is the fuel pump installed. I just pull the fuel pump relay and crank it over until all the fuel if blown out the tail pipe. It should start after about 5-10 seconds of cranking. Then I run it until it stutters and then I turn it off and plug the relay back in.

If you hooked the pump up to the original wiring (1.7 or 2.0) the round relay (second one in from the rear) on the circuit board in the engine bay on the drive side is the one you need to pull.
SirAndy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 16 2007, 10:56 AM) *

Throttle wide open.

agree.gif

throttle to the floorboard before you turn the key and keep the foot down while cranking. *no* pedal pumping!

it'll take a few seconds, but it will fire ...
smile.gif Andy
xperu
All the above, just be careful with the gas vapors and any spark potential.
type11969
Did you hydrolock it? If so, pull the plugs and crank it to get the extra gas out. Hose off, let dry before trying to start again. Its not a terrible idea to squirt some oil into the bores before re-installing the plugs since gas strips the oil right off the cylinder walls. Definitely change the oil.

-Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.