Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: use 911 muffler straps in a 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Hi,

I've had three mufflers crack on my 914-6 at the joint where the two intake pipes attach to the muffler.

I'm using the 914-6 muffler bracket which helps support the headers (they are fine), but these two joints have to support the entire weight of the muffler. In the pre 73 911s, the muffler weight is supported by straps (see diagram below).

Can this bracket and straps be retrofitted to a 914? I'm using a 915/916 transmission. Has anyone done this? Am I the only one with a very short muffler life span?

-Steve
PRS914-6
WAY too much weight to hang off the flanges with no support further out. You have to clamp it around the middle like the 911's. I made a bracket to come off the back of the tranny and clamped it like OEM. I use a M&K which is much lighter but the concept is the same....The 911\914-6 muffler is very heavy and when you hit a bump it really creates excessive loads when unsupported.

Here is a pic

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Porsche did it on the GT's
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/rally_muffler_of_a_gt
smontanaro
Following the pbase.com link led me to M&K Exhaust which led me to RarlyL8 Motorsports who sells M&K's 911/914-6 stainless muffler for $630. 'tain't cheap, but it only weighs 14 lbs. Might be another alternative.

Skip
siverson
Thanks! Looks like I need some straps!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.