Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you test the coil?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Replaced bad fuel pump and now no spark... mad.gif

I hooked a timing light to the #1 plug and got nothing.

How do you verify that there is juice coming from the coil?

If I'm getting power out of the coil I would guess that my pertronix is fuched...
Brando
Got a multi-meter?

Get a pinout for your ignition box. Is it a Permatun? stromberg.gif
So.Cal.914
Testing a standard ignition coil. Set the meter for ohms, and measure across the

plus (+) and minus (-) terminals. It should be between 1.5 and 2.0 ohms. This one

is 1.6 ohms. Measure from each terminal to the coil's case also. The meter should

NOT read anything here.

Measure from the coil's minus (-) to the inside of the tower. It should be several

thousand ohms, and at least 4,000 minimum. This one is 10.25k ohms. (10,250

ohms) If it measures more than 40,000, the coil is bad. (unless it's a special high

output coil like an Accel) Measure from the terminal to the coil's case also. The

meter should NOT read anything. smile.gif
Brando
Alan, just read, you've got mallory 6AL. When cranking you should see the little LED flash once for each ignition cycle. Also, when you first turn it on you should see the LED flash once or a few times. Check that, first. Easiest to do.

If the LED isn't flashing while cranking, it means the box isn't recieving the points signal from the pertronix. Those units do go bad, even though the box sends very little voltage/amperage through it. Check your wiring -- did you disconnect anything?

I think the Mallory boxes are pretty stout, so your issue may lie in the coil. I've noticed my stock bosch blue coil will start to saturate when it gets real hot. Maybe it's time to upgrade to one of Mallory's coils?
Allan
I'm only getting 1.0 ohm resistance between the - and + terminals.

It's an MSD Blaster 2 coil.

Pertronix says you need 1.5 for their unit.
Allan
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 16 2007, 01:13 PM) *

Alan, just read, you've got mallory 6AL. When cranking you should see the little LED flash once for each ignition cycle. Also, when you first turn it on you should see the LED flash once or a few times.

My box doesn't have an led. confused24.gif
Brando
Sure it's a Mallory? Or just an MSD?

there's a small hole on the side. The LED is in there. It should, mine's a Mallory and it does. Read the book/pamphlet it'll say.
Brando
QUOTE(Headrage @ Sep 16 2007, 01:49 PM) *
I'm only getting 1.0 ohm resistance between the - and + terminals.

It's an MSD Blaster 2 coil.

Pertronix says you need 1.5 for their unit.

Should not matter what Pertronix needs -- you're just using the pertronix to make and break contact as the triggering system. It's not handling the high voltage output of the coil.
Allan
I'm running an MSD box.
Brando
Okay... but is it a Mallory Hyfire 6AL MSD box, or cheap knockoff "Mr. Gasket Co." MSD box? If the latter, it may be time to toss it and get the real thing.
Allan
It's this one.

Allan
I just checked the MSD sight on the coil:

BLASTER 2 AND 3 SPECIFICATIONS

Output Voltage: 45,000 Volts Maximum
Operating Voltage: 12VDC
Primary Resistance: 0.7 Ohms
Secondary Resistance: 4.7K Ohms
Turns Ratio: 100:1

Where is the primary resistance measured?
alpha434
Use your tongue.
jwalters
sad.gif Alan my man, the petronix has such a storied history of failures - please do yourself a favour and put a crane in it -

The crane can accept the power spikes w/o frying itself into oblivion -

Happened on Nando's ride - and a few others who have pertronix -

Never hear a worry about crane

J
jwalters
QUOTE(Headrage @ Sep 16 2007, 06:18 PM) *

Alan - A blaster 2 coil WILL fry a pertronix!!! The coil resistance is too low for the pick-up coil and allows too much amperage to flow thru it - frying it!

First hand knowledge here bud - not saying it is immediate - but it does happen, particulary w/ high output coils like the msd. I run the same coil and a crane - I have been miles from no-where and no worries about that setup

J
jwalters

Multimeter positive to + and negative lead to high tension output lead - w/ meter in OHMS - the coil - post is for trigger only
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(jwalters @ Sep 16 2007, 04:51 PM) *

Alan - A blaster 2 coil WILL fry a pertronix!!! The coil resistance is too low for the pick-up coil and allows too much amperage to flow thru it - frying it!

First hand knowledge here bud - not saying it is immediate - but it does happen, particulary w/ high output coils like the msd. I run the same coil and a crane - I have been miles from no-where and no worries about that setup

J

pertronix ignitors DO have a minimum resistance value stated.... i think 3 ohms....

as do mallory unilites.....

crank fire tongue.gif
swl
I tend to agree with J - not from experience but from our old friend V=IR. Unless that coil has something special about it the pertronix is switching the primary. Pertronix is very emphatic about the resistance - it's actually 3 ohms. Cut it down to .7 and you are going to have over 4 times the current in steady state. Instructions are clear - if you have a low resistance coil put in an external ballast resistor.
swl
Alan From your original question - the voltage is too high to check the high voltage side. You can check for 12 Volts at the + of the coil. If you have juice there then it is most likely the pertronix. Maybe the coil but lower probability.
Brando
Guys, with an MSD setup the pertonix doesn't have the voltage from the coil going through it -- the MSD box uses it as a trigger and controls voltage to the coil separately. It basically uses the pertronix as a hall-effect sensor to determine how advanced/retarded the timing is by distributor position.

Now, as to the reliability of either... imho... barf.gif

Alan, the one you want is here:
http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/Hyfi...Accessories.pdf

Page 7.
Aaron Cox
did you leave the key in the ON position for an extended period of time?
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 16 2007, 06:06 PM) *

did you leave the key in the ON position for an extended period of time?

Nope.

Is there a way to see if the coil is actually firing?
Brando
Aaron... You have a Mallory MSD setup. Those 'key on' issues, and points/pertronix burnout issues go away when you switch to an MSD setup. There is no gross amount of voltage going through the triggering mechanism. No more burnt up points! No more fried pertronix!

Alan, you could test the coil on a non-MSD, stock points ignition system on another car. Be it 4cyl or 6cyl. But right now you have too many variables.

Is the coil bad? Does it read properly according to it's specified resistance?
Is the MSD unit recieving a triggering signal from the points system?
Is your points system working properly?

To check for spark, did you pull a plug wire off the cap, and hold it at a bit of a distance, while cranking, seeing if spark jumped from the wire to the cap connection?

Is the MSD box getting power? If not, nothing ignition wise (except the ignition switch) will work. Check that with the key on. Did you change any wiring for the fuel pump?
Allan
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 16 2007, 07:58 PM) *

Is the coil bad? Don't know.

Does it read properly according to it's specified resistance? Yes.

Is the MSD unit recieving a triggering signal from the points system? Don't know how to tell.

Is your points system working properly? Don't know how to tell.

Is the MSD box getting power? Yes.

Did you change any wiring for the fuel pump? No.
SLITS
Pull the coil to distributor cap high tension lead outta the dizzy cap. Have some one turn the engine (yes, with the key) and hold the high tension lead about 1/4" away from ground.....if a spark jumps, it's working .... if not .... the problem is in the trigger unit(or wiring), CDI box or coil.

You can now sell me your car CHEAP!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 17 2007, 11:26 AM) *

Pull the coil to distributor cap high tension lead outta the dizzy cap. Have some one turn the engine (yes, with the key) and hold the high tension lead about 1/4" away from ground.....if a spark jumps, it's working .... if not .... the problem is in the trigger unit(or wiring), CDI box or coil.

Or you can do it the way Ron does after a few Patrones.....

Take the coil wire off the coil.

Stand on the back of the car with bare feet.

Have someone crank the engine.

Pee on the coil.

If you get knocked on your ass.. the coil works.
Brando
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 17 2007, 08:26 AM) *

Why would you want a RoughWorks 6? Oh... nevermind, he's had everything redone already laugh.gif

Alan, You could try running the coil positive and negative to the pertronix positive and negative (as per it's normal wiring instructions), run ignition switch positive to the coil + terminal. This is bypassing the MSD unit to see if your points trigger (pertronix) is working. Crank it over (with the key) and see if it runs. If not... Bad Pertronix. If so, bad MSD box.
Allan
Well I tried checking the coil the old fashioned way and had my kid turn the motor over while I hovered the coil wire close to ground.

No spark.

It's looking like the MSD box may be kaput... mad.gif

Towing the car either tomorrow or Saturday to Mike D's place for some much needed outside assistance... smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.