Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One more problem down; Timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Well I was kicking back a moaning about how my car is pissing me off while hanging out with the fellas at the ECC. Stephen (smdubovski) notivced I mentioned how my timing was going and pointed out that I had the wrong concept of what the CDI box does. Let me give you the history: I could time my car, but the marks would be there one moment and the next it they would not. I thought, incorrectly, that the CDI box was a multispark system and that was why my timing looked like that (duh, nope). Stephen pointed out that that was not the case and that my CDI box was likely the cause of my most current pain.

Now thanks goes to Matt (plas76targa) who graciously lent me his permatune box from his 76 911 targa in his garage. Now my timing is on the money and I am left to tune the fuel mix biggrin.gif

Gotta love this place!
jimkelly
great news.

sounds like we will be seeing your car at ecc2008.

jim
plas76targa
Awesome. glad the Permatune helped narrow down the problems. I left the charger on the 914 all day. Easily started it around 5 pm and moved it into the garage, put the charger on some more for several hours. I'll keep you posted how it runs. oops, sorry to hijack your thread
root
Great! smilie_pokal.gif

now for the Dream's Rectumfyer!

Saw this one on Ebay, if Noel's looks like this one maybe all
you need to do is clean it up, replace the old crusty connectors and wires
with new beefy ones. Check the bridge resistances though when you have it off.

ebay item # 220151025160 beer.gif Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
QUOTE(root @ Sep 17 2007, 01:11 PM) *

Great! smilie_pokal.gif

Nope, hers looks brand new (as does most of the bike). I am betting it is where I chose to take the turn signal power from that is messing with the rectafier. That is a task for another day, though.

BTW, the permatunes are not $125, they are more like $350 sad.gif If it fixes my car its worth it, though. Its a good thing I had Matt's to diagnose my car with.
root
complete thread hijack biggrin.gif

Here's a you tube link 'bout the Sinners club I told you about.
You might like the bike they build in the video. Probably rent
it at Blockbuster. I like the bike - simple and clean...!
Kick Start!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp4UCuexIsg

I also like the Japanese knucklehead builds of late!

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 17 2007, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(root @ Sep 17 2007, 01:11 PM) *

Great! smilie_pokal.gif

Nope, hers looks brand new (as does most of the bike). I am betting it is where I chose to take the turn signal power from that is messing with the rectafier. That is a task for another day, though.

BTW, the permatunes are not $125, they are more like $350 sad.gif If it fixes my car its worth it, though. Its a good thing I had Matt's to diagnose my car with.

I can tell you, in all honesty, that moving from a Bosch unit to a Permatune, will be a HUGE mistake. You can believe me now, or when you're stranded somewhere by the side of the road, but you WILL believe me, sooner or later. Take this as professional advice. When it does fail, I can tell you exactly what their customer service department will say..... "It's not our unit, it's something you did". The thing could have turned into a molten pile of slag, and there's STILL nothing wrong with it. BTDT, several times on the SAME car, and once each on several others. ALL of 'em were eventually cured by replacing the Permatune unit with a Bosch component. The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Does that include the latest inception of the permatune unit? They have changed it a bit from the last model.
Rusty
I have to agree with the Captain.

Their lack of quality is legend, and when it fails - it's complete failure. No "intermittent, but it'll still get you home" like the Bosch.

Unless they've had a HUGE culture change at the company, I'll still call them Permaturd.
sixnotfour
The old blue 3 prongers seem to be the best of the bunch for permatune. From there on silver case is a crap shoot.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 17 2007, 07:49 PM) *

The old blue 3 prongers seem to be the best of the bunch for permatune. From there on silver case is a crap shoot.

what if it's both? 3 prong, w/ external ground & the case is both blue & silver. blink.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(root @ Sep 17 2007, 12:54 PM) *

complete thread hijack biggrin.gif

Here's a you tube link 'bout the Sinners club I told you about.
You might like the bike they build in the video. Probably rent
it at Blockbuster. I like the bike - simple and clean...!
Kick Start!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp4UCuexIsg

I also like the Japanese knucklehead builds of late!

Click to view attachment

That's freekin wicked !! aktion035.gif I definitely want to see that vid now. Oh and uh Congrats Doc !! Guess I was a little off on the pricing huh? We put one oon a Maserati 2 years ago and that was what my hop filled cranium told me unsure.gif
Dr Evil
Since you didnt see the bike before, Root, here is a pic of it and Noel wub.gif
Dr Evil
Back on topic, what should I expect to pay for a used CDI? I have offers to me for one at $150 and one at $200, but there are two on ebay that I may be able to score one of.
sixnotfour
you can get yours repaired , The guy posts on pelican and
Zois claimed to do it.

found the guy;
Give Loren a try at; http://www.systemsc.com/
Dr Evil
That is some good news, Jeff. I am going to look into that. smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
Doc- Bosch unit for sale cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-911...tem110171368000
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 17 2007, 10:38 PM) *

hehehe
In the other thread it looked liek a big bike until Noel gets on it for scale. almost looks like scooter!

Zach
Dr Evil
Now imagine what I look like on it biggrin.gif
Rusty
Mike,

I emailed Permatune asking about previous quality concerns and they sent me this response:

The company changed hands in 2004. All the old tooling was lost in the transaction and new tooling was made based on the latest technology. Compare the old Texas made Perma-Tune with the new Plasmatronics Perma-Tune and the changes are plain to see. Electronics are updated too which improves performance.

lonnie@plasmatronicsllc.com

it's a little light on details, though...
Dr Evil
I just got a used CDI for $80, wish me luck dry.gif I hate buying used electronics.
Rusty
Cool... good luck. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.