Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone with a phone number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
...from the GD pedal cluster? PM me..

I lost the accel cable down the f'n tunnel.. next move is sawzall vs tunnel... I'm beyond caring if it's fixed right, I just need it to drive.

What is removed? I can't even see it all. What kind of idiot invented this rubick's cube POS?

M
Gint
PM'd ya with a number. You're probably already on the phone with someone. Remove the cable from the fork at the trans (self-explanatory). Push the cable forward in the sleeve to give some slack. At the pedal arm, the cable end has a spring clip that wraps partially around the cable. It's connected to the pin that goes through the end of the cable fork. Pop that spring clip loose, and then you can pull the pin from the fork. You're done.
redshift
Nope, but that is exactly wht I needed to hear, thanks!

This is going to be easy...

laugh.gif

M
Gint
It's a PITA to get your hands in there because of the clearance (or lack thereof), but it's do-able. A small screw driver can help you get the clip up off the cable.
EdwardBlume
Spray some brake fluid cleaner in the tunnel from the front before you re-feed it. If there's rust or gunk in there, you'll take care of it.
campbellcj
Just think how much fun it is to do with a full cage in the car. You basically have to roll yourself up into a little ball and slide under the dash. Removing the passenger seat helps quite a bit.

Hey Miles -- if you thought popping the clevis off was a beotch...just wait till you get to put it back on.
Bleyseng
Use a small mirror to look into the tunnel to see WTF is going on in there. Make sure its clean of shit like mouse nests etc....

Geoff
SirAndy
i've got a phone number. i even just got someone elses phone number.
but i can't help'ya ...

Andy
Gint
I fat finger'd the user fields when I was PMing my number to Miles. I sent it to Andy instead. huh.gif blink.gif

Time to hit the rack.
redshift
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 24 2003, 01:48 AM)
Hey Miles -- if you thought popping the clevis off was a beotch...just wait till you get to put it back on.

smilie_pokal.gif

I hate you!

Welp, success on removal, and the roll pin was WAY TOO BIG I just got back from a machine shop that a friend owns, uhh.. took near 5 tons to force it.. doods...

smile.gif I have pedal cluster..

So, in the morni.. in a couple hours, when the sun com... when it stops raining.. I am going to install this freeking thing.

I am also considering writing a technical article on removal.. that includes all the good stuff.

Nah... happy11.gif

Thanks so much guys, this got the best of me..

Oh yeah, longs are nothing, you should look under your pedals.

Miles
Gint
Wow, that took long enough. wink.gif

Oh yeah, longs are nothing, you should look under your pedals.

BTDT, you are correct. If you suspect your 914 is rusty, this is one of THE places to look.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(redshift @ Dec 24 2003, 01:10 AM)
...the roll pin was WAY TOO BIG I just got back from a machine shop that a friend owns, uhh.. took near 5 tons to force it...

if it took 5 T to remove, it sounds like it was just about right. that sucker must be TIGHT and then is rusts in place besides. mine (probably the factory '71 original) came out with a drift and blows from my 2,5-lb bronze hammer on a pretty darned solid backstop. it's triple-roll pin. it has to fit tight because if there is any play, the wear will mean you're right back there doing it again.

there have been persistent runours that the roll pins supplied with the bronze bushing kits are inadequate. my personal opinion is that there was, indeed, a batch of substandard stuff but that was a while ago and the suppliers are getting the good stuff now. )i used the supplied pin and we'll just see how well it holds up...)

mine was MUCH harder to get re-installed than pressed out, BTW. took all damned day AND my 20-T press ...

for completeness, the factory pin part number is 900.309.002.00 - in case you think they have different suppliers than the bushing kit makers ...
rhodyguy
i had a hard time keeping the clip on. i used a small plastic tie to cinch it up. no worries after that.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.