Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sail vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jonferns
Was sail vinyl an option on all 914's, or was it standard equipment?

Would it say on the cars original window sticker?

Car in question is a '74 1.8 (build date 3/74)

And if a car didn't have the vinyl from the factory, did they have the chrome trim along the curved edge of the sail?

Pat Garvey
Not standard on any 914's. Part of the appearance group.

Same goes for the trim strips.
Pat
xsurfer
Six cyls. came with it.
jonferns
Ok so, no appearance group, no sail vinyl. Thanks!
jonferns
oops....double post....
jonferns
So on non-appearance group cars, there was NO chrome trim anywhere?

would it state it on the window sitcker?
Rick L
Mine does (also a 74 1.8). I'll see if I can't scan it and post it.
jonferns
Mine does (also a 74 1.8). I'll see if I can't scan it and post it.

sweet, thanks
JeffBowlsby
Targa bar vinyl was standard on all USA 1974-76 914s, except the LE cars of course.
jim_hoyland
Would a 1970 -4 that came without vinyl on the sail have the rear targa trim painted the body color originally ?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 12 2014, 03:18 PM) *

Would a 1970 -4 that came without vinyl on the sail have the rear targa trim painted the body color originally ?

Yep!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 12 2014, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 12 2014, 03:18 PM) *

Yep!

Are there other pictures posted showing this ? Reason I asked ; there is another thread stating, with pics, that the rear sail trim only came in Black or the polished Aluminum

I found this pic from. Post by Sir Andy from a few years ago:
nathansnathan
The red WOB CD 555 car above is a prototype, and probably shouldn't be used as an example of what cars came with. -It's an early car with late steel wheels, even.

I'm not convinced any of them came with body colored rear sail trim. There is some evidence of black trim on early non appearance group cars
IPB Image
jim_hoyland
This car was recently purchased from an original owner that kept the car pretty original, including the paint. Picture was taken when the fender and rear hood was resprayed; the rest of the cars paint matches the sail trim and doesn't appear to be painted at a later time.

I was looking for confirmation that the painted trim is indeed original or not. Pat belivies that non-appearance group cars could have been like this. Comments ?
nathansnathan
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 13 2014, 08:47 AM) *

I was looking for confirmation that the painted trim is indeed original or not. Pat belivies that non-appearance group cars could have been like this. Comments ?

It seems like people are confused because in this thread about sail trim colors

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;p=1961574&

Andy says that early non-appearance group sail trim is black and then to prove it, posts a pic of the prototype with colored trim.

Also, Pat says in that same thread, referring to the prototype, "Never, ever have I seen mouldings in this country painted to match (as shown on the rear of your pic)" which directly conflicts with the "yep" posted here in this thread. poke.gif
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 13 2014, 10:37 AM) *

The red WOB CD 555 car above is a prototype, and probably shouldn't be used as an example of what cars came with. -It's an early car with late steel wheels, even.

I'm not convinced any of them came with body colored rear sail trim. There is some evidence of black trim on early non appearance group cars

My MY 70 914-4 (plain Jane) came with body colored bumpers (including non-fog light grilles) and sail/targa bar trim.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Feb 13 2014, 11:09 AM) *

My MY 70 914-4 (plain Jane) came with body colored bumpers (including non-fog light grilles) and sail/targa bar trim.

Was the sail/targa bar trim Painted ? Not clear what you meant.
1970 Neun vierzehn
I would believe that the /4 w/o the appearance package, and therefore w/o the vinyl on the rollbar would have the bumpers AND rollbar trim in body color, as James Smith stated. Though early USA sales brochures show that as correct, we also cast a critical eye on those early catalogs as they can be "touched up" or contain prototype vehicles. That said, I would invite the curious to take a close look at the following two photos taken at the Karmann factory. I believe these two photos were taken about the same time frame, but from two different perspectives. The color photo shows a blue and a white 914 w/o rollbar vinyl and it appears to me that the rollbar finish trim is body-colored on both cars, If you examine the b&w photo, those same two 914s do not have the shine on that aforementioned trim that the appearance group cars have.

Paul
nathansnathan
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 13 2014, 05:23 PM) *

I would believe that the /4 w/o the appearance package, and therefore w/o the vinyl on the rollbar would have the bumpers AND rollbar trim in body color, as James Smith stated. Though early USA sales brochures show that as correct, we also cast a critical eye on those early catalogs as they can be "touched up" or contain prototype vehicles. That said, I would invite the curious to take a close look at the following two photos taken at the Karmann factory. I believe these two photos were taken about the same time frame, but from two different perspectives. The color photo shows a blue and a white 914 w/o rollbar vinyl and it appears to me that the rollbar finish trim is body-colored on both cars, If you examine the b&w photo, those same two 914s do not have the shine on that aforementioned trim that the appearance group cars have.

Paul

Nice, smile.gif

I've always thought there was something right behind that blue car making the reflection in the sail trim dark, but the other does show it pretty well.

I think those are 1970 model year cars.

I do think there were early non appearance group cars with black, too though, but maybe only in the european market.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 13 2014, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Feb 13 2014, 11:09 AM) *

Was the sail/targa bar trim Painted ? Not clear what you meant.

No sail vinyl, sail trim and targa bar trim came painted the body color. I understand that sometime in '73(?) the base model had the trim painted black.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Feb 14 2014, 06:36 AM) *

No sail vinyl, sail trim and targa bar trim came painted the body color. I understand that sometime in '73(?) the base model had the trim painted black.

1972 1.7-liter, repainted once but supposedly painted exactly as it left the factory.

http://californiaclassix.com/archive/72_Po...e_914_c569.html

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
Would those cars have had painted horn grills?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 14 2014, 03:06 PM) *

Would those cars have had painted horn grills?

Yes.
dlkawashima
IPB Image
Pat Garvey
Hmmm, nice 914 (other than the dents on the front bumper), but I didn't think that 4/72 production cars had retractable belts and moveable passenger seat.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 14 2014, 05:02 PM) *

Hmmm, nice 914 (other than the dents on the front bumper), but I didn't think that 4/72 production cars had retractable belts and moveable passenger seat.

April was pretty late in the production year. Mine was made 4/27/72 and has a moveable seat, and retractable seat belts. It still has the early jack.
Johny Blackstain
I had no idea they were ever color matched & thought they only came in flat black or polished. Learn something new about these little cars all the time. smile.gif
wes
Replacement sail vinyl? I have sail vinyl material from AA and Mickey and neither are exactly as my parts car (of corse I have no way of noing thats original) though AA seems to be close. Is the AA exseptable?
A&PGirl
Imported direct from Germany sail vinyl. High quality pictures. I have couple of sets left.

Back side of top piece:
Click to view attachment

Front side of top piece:
Click to view attachment

Thickness of top piece:
Click to view attachment

Side(s) back side:
Click to view attachment

Side(s) front side:
Click to view attachment

Side(s) thickness:
Click to view attachment
wes
That looks better! sending PM Thanks Wes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.