Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory Hyfire idle problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I installed a Mallory Hyfire 6al on my 2.0 djet, with Crane optical and flamethrower coil. It starts and run fine, but will not idle. When warm at idle, rpms bounce around a little then dies. The rev limiter does not seem to be working either. I set it to 5750.

I submitted a question to Mallory, thought I'd ask here also.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 18 2007, 09:13 AM) *

I installed a Mallory Hyfire 6al on my 2.0 djet, with Crane optical and flamethrower coil. It starts and run fine, but will not idle. When warm at idle, rpms bounce around a little then dies. The rev limiter does not seem to be working either. I set it to 5750.

And why do you need all that complexity for a stock EFI equipped engine?

An increase in complexity leads to a plethora of possible failure points. The Cap'n
blitZ
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 18 2007, 01:17 PM) *

An increase in complexity leads to a plethora of possible failure points. The Cap'n

I'm a glutton for punishment.
Borderline
I bought a Hyfire 6al a couple months ago and the rev limiter wasn't working and returned it. Got another one and it's working fine. Make sure the little switches are set correctly for 4-cyl use. Don't know anything about using the Hyfire with djet..sorry. Mine is working great with the Mallory unilite dizzy and carbs. Good luck
Brando
How did you make the trigger points work properly with the optical setup?

I have an idea but want to make sure.

Tell us how you wired it up...
Jake Raby
Disable the Hyfire with the included bypass loop and see if the issue goes away. The Hyfire demands an EXCELLENT ground, if it does not exist the unit can fail or run like crap.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 18 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Not to be Krusty or anything, but what does an optical ignition setup in a D-jet distributor have to do with the trigger points? People have been doing such conversions since at least 1974. The Cap'n
Brando
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 18 2007, 12:36 PM) *
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 18 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Not to be Krusty or anything, but what does an optical ignition setup in a D-jet distributor have to do with the trigger points? People have been doing such conversions since at least 1974. The Cap'n

Implicitly trying to find out if he messed with any of the trigger points setup...
blitZ
QUOTE(Brando @ Sep 18 2007, 05:05 PM) *

Implicitly trying to find out if he messed with any of the trigger points setup...

Don't think so, didn't have to open the distributor. Here is what I did:

wires on + side of coil (red Crane & black harness) to red Hyfire wire
wires on - side of coil (Yel Crane & blk/red tach ) to white Hyfire wire

+ orange and - black Hyfire wires directly to the battery.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 18 2007, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(blitZ @ Sep 18 2007, 09:13 AM) *

mildly more complex that even you krusty one can appreciate it smile.gif

plethora of failures.... humbug LOL

anyway. Hotter spark, bigger gap, cleaner burn, multi spark, and ability to run a bigger coil all lead to a more efficient/more powerful motor.

even stock motors can benefit from it. not just race cars.

scotty b
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 18 2007, 11:35 AM) *

Disable the Hyfire with the included bypass loop and see if the issue goes away. The Hyfire demands an EXCELLENT ground, if it does not exist the unit can fail or run like crap.

Slight hijack here.

Jake have you ever tried one of Jacobs ignitions on a stock or even modded engine? I have a complete unit in a box I was contemplating putting on my dads 1.7, but haven't seen anyone here ever mention using it. Not sure right off hand WHICH model but I boiught it from a fellow teener and he had it on a modded engine and was happy. Just curious about your input.
blitZ
I switched back to just the Crane and it idles properly, so it must be something with the Hyfire. Really, would like to solve the idle problem. Think it could be the coil?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.